The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Vescovo
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2011 8:27 pm    

Very sorry to hear the news. Condolences to his family.

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2011 9:58 pm     Al's Passing

Al was the nicest guy I have ever known. I took C6 lessons and lap steel lessons from him a while back, drove with him to the NAMM show, and drove with Mike and Al to Arizona. Being around him was a delight, and taking lessons was an honour. I knew Al was on the way out when he told a few weeks ago he planned to make it to the next show in AZ. I knew he wouldn't, but was glad he was buoyed by that hope.

And he told some funny stories!

Jim

Joel Martin

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2011 10:31 pm    

Mike, my condolences. I feel awful about this. He is one of my favorite guitarists and such a great guy. Wish Norma my best please. And thank you for the updates you gave. I'm so sorry.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 12:42 am    

my sincere condolences to Al's family
i only got know about who Al was through this forum, so i must admit being unhip as to who Al really was
from reading certain posts, i realize that he musta been a wonderful person
it's always heartbreaking on us who remain to know of a dear one's passing - may Al's memory & soul live on
Rest in Peace Al,you're w: the Lord now

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 3:16 am    

Condolences to Al's family and friends.
Hook

Bob Case

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 6:11 am    

I think that Rick said it best. Al was one of the nicest people that I've ever met and a truly great musician.
RIP AL

Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 7:54 am    

I have had the distinct honor of mixing monitor sound for the players at the SWSGA Show in Phoenix for the past 3 years. I get to meet and talk with most of the featured artists as well as the stage band musicians. When Al played six string guitar on some of the Jazz sets he would be sitting very close to my location. We got to swap jokes, quips,and smiles. I found him to be a warm, kind, caring, individual and a musician's musician. I will miss being in his company this year. May he rest in the peace of the Father.

Hank Mann

W. Los Angeles, California
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 11:55 am     Al Viscovo R I P

All the best and much Aloha to Al's family and friends. To a smooth, awesome player who's skills were un matched. From jazzy Hawaiian to snappy country chops Al was a steel players - player. And a truly nice man.
Evans FET500 custom LV
steelman@ca.rr.com
www.reverbnation.com/hankmann

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 1:45 pm    

I met Al when I was a 13yr old "gofer" in a music store in Northridge Ca. He showed me how to play some surf music and in fact at Perl-Jam this year, saddly the last time I saw Al, he and I joked about that day and how long ago it was. I'll miss him.
A great player, a great teacher, but over and above all that, a great person and I'm honored to have been able to call him my friend.
JE:-(>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

Mike Flick

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 2:59 pm    

I got to play a number of gigs with Al over the past ten years or so. Whether it was in Canoga Park or Tokyo and no matter the axe (banjo, steel, six-string) he was always smilin' and sounding great. He was a total pro and very humble about his talent and achievements. I'll miss you Al and my condolences to your family. Mike F.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 8:13 pm    

The world has suffered another loss in the death of my pal, Al Vescovo. He was a gentleman in every sense of the word and one of the nicest men I have ever met. Al and I spent some time together and he was a great friend. We will miss him. I talked to Norma Jean today and services are set for this Saturday, Oct. 25th at 2:30 pm in the Old North Church, Forrest Lawn Mortuary. Rest in Peace, my friend till we meet again.

Billy and Meriul Easton
Las Vegas, NV

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2011 12:45 am    

Our steel guitar family has lost another great one.

I echo all the other statements about Al, what a fine player and person he was, and I will miss him in many ways. He was always too hip for the room, and now he'll simply be too hip in a bigger, better room, jamming with a whole lot of other pretty hip cats, no doubt.

Below are photos of Al and Norma Jean taken the past couple of years.

RIP my friend.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2011 1:24 am    

I'm at a loss for words, Knew Al for many years, Such a Great person & Player, I will miss him ,,,,,and his Sweet wife, Norma Jean...you and your family are in our Prayers....Az show won't be the same with out you Ol friend...

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2011 6:57 am    

Thanks John that is how I remember Al

Dave you are right

I am still having a problem getting over Al (and Red too) all at once

Al's smile was always there and it alway warmed my heart.

Joe Naylor
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2011 7:12 am    

Sorry too hear of Al's passing. Praying for Family and Friends.

Donna

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2011 10:21 am    

Thanks for that pic John!!! I will always treasure that one! I was so glad to be on stage with Al at that AZ show!

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2011 10:31 am    

A very, very sad day.

DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2011 12:17 pm     Al

I was shocked to get the email from Mike Perlowin that Al had passed away. I did know he was in bad health as he had to cancel comeing to the International Steel Guitar Convention this year. I found out that Al was a great guitar player as when I was playing the tune Golden Earrings in Phonnix one year I had planned to go trhough the song one time and get out of it but at the end the guitar player wouldn't have it! He had to take a part in it and boy, did he ever take a part! It was great. That guitar player was Al Vescovo! I admired his steel guitar playing ever since I first met him many years ago when he in St. Louis with a band. He came by the store and played for me and I was totally blown away with his style. Very different from any of the other great players. He will be sadly missed. Scotty

Dee Polish

Concord, NC
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2011 7:47 pm    

So shocked to hear this. We will miss this great musician. Paul always enjoyed playing behind him and talked of his talent so much.

So sorry and prayers to the family.

Paul and Dee Polish

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2011 7:55 am    

I concur with everything that has been previously said about Al. He was a great man, a great musician, and worthy of the highest regard and respect. I hold dear the moments we spent making music together, and I have them on video.

b0b said the truth; with the loss of Red and now Al, this has been a week of true tragedy.

My condolences go out to Norma Jean, and also to all of Al's admirers and friends here on the Forum and elsewhere.

Mike P., please excuse my not returning your phone call the other day. I'm in a non-communicative period apparently, and I hate telephones at the moment.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2011 8:15 am     Re: Al

DeWitt Scott wrote:
I was shocked to get the email that Al had passed away. I did know he was in bad health as he had to cancel coming to the International Steel Guitar Convention this year.

One of the many sad aspects of this is that Al did not get to play in St Louis, and those of you who do not live out west never got to hear him. Had he performed at the ISGC, everybody nationwide would have said the same things about him that we who were privileged to hear him are saying. He really was one of the all time greats, easily on a par with Buddy, Reece, Chalker, Doug Jernigan and the rest of our idols.

Incidentally, his web site (steelandguitar.com) lists only 5 CDs, but he made a 6th, an entire album of dixieland, in which he overdubbed all the horn parts on his steel, as well as playing the guitar and 4 string banjo. He had intended to put this last CD on the site when he became ill.

As matter of personal taste, I like this one the most.

Herb, don't worry about not returning my call. you'll get back to me when you're ready.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2011 8:46 am    

I too have admired Al's extraordinary musicianship over the last few years of Perl Jams, too.

(One gentle correction to an earlier post: the services this Saturday (tomorrow) are October 15th rather than the 25th.)

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2011 10:19 am    

Well, that sucks. I only got to know Al through the forum and by reading his website, but he seemed like a super nice guy, and was obviously a fantastic player. RIP.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2011 11:52 am    

The thought just occurred to me that all the Phoenix shows were videotaped. Perhaps we can make a DVD, or live CD for Al's fans and those who have heard about him, but have never seen or heard him play.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2011 12:19 pm    

Al's CDs are among my favorite listening music. I have a playlist of all 5 that I set on "shuffle" when I go for a long drive. Mrs. Lee loves them too - she has bought several of them to send to her online friends. They are some of the most popular CDs in the Forum catalog.