The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  English Electronics lap steel
Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 2:17 pm    

Has anyone heard of a English Electronics steel guitar? A dealer just called to tell me about an unusual 6 string lap steel with this brand name on it. At first I thought it might be one of those badge-engineered Norman English Valco's (or whatever company it was that made those things) but this instrument doesn't fit the description. It also has a multi-tuning bridge with the lever like an old Tri-Plex. And who was Norman English anyway; a music store owner or a long forgotten steel pro? I bet one of you Forum historians know all about this strange beast and /or Mr. English.

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 2:34 pm    

I guess the historian I should have consulted first was Lorene Ruymar because there in her wonderful book "The Hawaiian Steel Guitar" are the answers to my questions. On page 56 is a photo of the elusive Mr.English taken in 1939 (obviously a pro at work) and on page 138 is a picture of the lap steel. The instrument could be a fancy Valco but highly customized. It could be something Norm English was fabricating in his garage. Who knows?

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 3:45 pm    

How embarrassing; I'm the only person responding to my own post! Anyway, today I visited the dealer with the English Electronics lap steel and gave it the once over. I'm fairly certain that this instrument was a Valco/Supro/National creation from the immediate post-war era. The body is covered in MOTS, the fret board is Lucite with pretty foil markings underneith with a tuning changer tailpiece. The tone is very Supro and bright...all in all a nice student-grade guitar. I don't need to have this lap steel but considering its rarity and generally excellent condition, maybe someone on the Forum would be interested. Asking price is $395 at the Vintage Fret Shop in Ashland, NH 603-968-3346. These are nice, honest folks I've bought lots of stuff from.