The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Rick Schmidt
kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 11:08 pm    

I just heard tonight that Rick is offering remote video skype lessons. If you have not heard of Rick or seen him play, you are missing a truly remarkable experience. He's got an unbelievable musical past and family, his mom is in her 80's and plays the piano like Oscar Peterson. Rick is one of the most musical cats I have ever met. He is a gifted multi instrumentalist. He has like horn sections going on in his head at all times and one of the most dug musicians in southern California.. I am going to be the first in line to get me some of that. For me it's like getting lessons from a west coast Buddy Charleton but a little different.

Knowing Rick, we are going to get way more than our moneys worth. He'll show me the "other stuff" that I really like. I would give his email address out here but he doesn't know I'm doing this..

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 5:38 am    

I got Skype with Rick and it really is amazing how easy it all is- the video and audio quality was fantastic. What a great way to take lessons!

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 2:30 pm    

I can also vouch for Rick as all around nice guy and an amazing, versatile talent (Why don't I hate him? It would be so much easier.). The Skype lessons sound like a cool deal. I think John McClung has been doing this with E9 lessons very successfully. I'll be very interested in lessons with Rick after I recover from Aug. 30th rotator cuff surgery, which is going to keep me off steel and bass, in a sling, for about 6 weeks I'm told. I'll try to use my down time to study up on jazz theory and review the C6 music and instructional material I already have.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 2:38 pm    

I've had that surgery as well Peter- once in the early 70's and once about 5 years ago- just be glad you waited Smile)

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 3:08 pm     Sounds great

That sounds great Rick

Peter - Sorry to hear about your surgery but Jim is right they have improved it a lot.

Get well soon Peter.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
plus Road Cases and other stuff too
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 3:44 pm    

Not to divert the topic from Rick but I've been told that not that long ago I'd have ended up with a scar from front to back on my shoulder rather than the two or three dots I'll end up with from what is now an out patient procedure. It's the recovery that's going to take some time. But it's a walk in the park compared to what Joe has been through recently, and what I read of others of us on the Forum. We can all be glad for continual advances in medicine.

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 9:18 am    

I can vouch for Rick's Skype lessons too! I used to attend lessons at his house until I moved. I have now had several "remote lessons" and have been very very pleased with the outcomes. The prices are competitive & I don't even have to pack my guitar to get to learn from a Master!

Jim

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2011 11:33 am    

Hey Rick!
Give me a call so we can get to this week's lesson.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2011 5:38 pm    

Thanks for another great lesson Rick! We'll hit it again next week.

Jim