The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  350 watt SICA speaker with extended high end
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2011 3:47 pm    

For the steel player wanting more high end with no sacrifice in the low end efficiency, this is your speaker. This speaker fits the need for our second steel guitar speaker offering for those wanting a lot of top end sparkle but still great mids and lows.
Available in 4 ohm and 8 ohm.

Check it out at:

http://foxvintageamps.com/classic_green_011.htm

audio clip of the speaker with a N-400 (with OPA2134PA chips) and a Show Pro steel guitar.

http://foxvintageamps.com/linked/n400%20and%20350%20watt%20sica.mp3

specs and frequency chart here:

http://foxvintageamps.com/classic_green_013.htm

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2011 1:46 am    

Ken,

I think it sounds great. Did the NV400 have any mods other than the 2134 chips? Is there any equipment in the signal chain other than steel>volume pedal>amp? Thanks.

-Jim-

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2011 4:23 am    

Just a straight unmodded amp (no Peavey, Lemay or Fox mod) with a new set of Burr Brown chips. Just the guitar and a volume pedal were used.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 31 May 2011 6:12 am    

Ken who is the player?

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2011 6:15 am    

That was Tommy Butler. Speaker was not broke in yet on the recording.
He took that amp to Virgiania beach for a gig and it it sounding even better now.

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 May 2011 9:05 am    

Show Pro SD-10, BL710 pickup. Pot volume pedal, amp. sure 57 mic. Bass 1 o' clock, Mids 8 o' clock, shift, strait up, Treble 12 o' clock. presence 1 o' clock. Extreme amount of clarity from low to high on the neck.I carried it to a gig this weekend. It blew everyone away. The sound guy sat my eq flat in the front of house and could not tell me enough what a pleasure it was to listen to my rig? I was flattered. It was really honking by the end of the night. Very pleasing sonically. Seems like it takes longer to break a sica in. i'm seeing typically 40 + hours.They seem to project different that other speakers. It will feel a room with sound and its so efficient it makes 100 watts project like 200 watts. I've blown speakers but no matter how I try i've yet to blow a sica? Of course you cant please everyone. People like what they like and have certain taste. Variety is the spice of life. I would think after all these years i would be loosing sum of my hearing but I do believe it is actually getting better. Some nights I can hear the 110 volt cycles hitting the fan I have running to make noise so I can go to sleep. No matter who you try and pattern your sound after, no matter whose advise you take, or what hype you buy in to most every manufacturer working for us has a great product to offer. Its a close competition in sound reinforcement with a very narrow profit margin. Every player has their reason to do what they do, say what they say, and stand by their beliefs, kinda like sports. Ken and Ruth are jewels and i'm proud to have them in my corner.