The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weissonator (slight reprise)
Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2000 6:31 pm    

Jon Light asked me to post these pics of my newly finished slide guitar and has kindly provided an uplink for the pic. Thanks Jon.

"The Weissonator" is a Weissenborn-inspired all Mahogany tricone. It has a mahogany "fretted" ebony board. The tailpiece and hanguard are also ebony. Ivoroid binding and Paua shell trim it out. Not exactly traditional, but I think it turned out pretty nice.

Thanks go out to Randy Allen who supplied the wood, and to the MIMForum who provided alot of info and encouragement.

bryan dupler

norman, ok usa
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 7:26 am    

Geez Louise, that is stunning. (Applause)

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 11:41 am    

(taking bow ) Thanks Bryan, it's much appreciated.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 8:14 am    

I know this seems terribly self serving but who cares

Since everyone liked that Dobro so much I thought I'd see if anyone liked this.

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 2:14 pm    

Ditto...

keep the pictures coming guys... these guitars are beautiful...

mike saye

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2000 10:17 pm    

This really is beautiful! How long does it take you to build an instrument like this?

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 6:21 am    

Way too long. It took about 4 months of weekends and the occational evening.It's also the first "acoustic" I've made. It has alot of parts that you can't just go out and buy like the tailpiece and handguard. So it gets a bit time consuming. Keeps me out of trouble though.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 2:12 pm    

This just knocks me out so I'm bringing it back up to take a bow.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 4:16 pm    

Thanks Jon. I posted this elsewhere but I came across an Open C tuning CGCGCE in a magazine and tried it out on the Weiss. Wow, it sounds great, I really like it. It covers such a wide range and lends itself to lap playing pretty well

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 5:33 am    

Wow!

Pete Hunter

Republic, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:07 am    

Geez Mike,
Congratulations on a job well done. I'm a fair to middlin acoustic builder myself but this far surpasses any of my projects. You put a lot of your heart into this one for sure. Take another bow....

Pete Hunter
Republic, Mo
GAL Member

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 11:40 am    

Thanks Pete, i'd like to see your work, any lap style instruments? If you're also a member of ASIA you can read about hoe the Weiss. was built in an article I've written for Guitarmaker.

If you havn't already check out the Musical Instrument Makers Forum www.mimf.com

Pete Hunter

Republic, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 5:45 pm    

Hi Mike,
I'm not a member of ASIA but would to read your article. I have built a few Lap Steels and a couple of Reso guitars but don't currently still own any of them. I used to play PSG back in the late 60's in SE, Missouri. Played with Narville Felts and some of that group for awhile.

Currently I am working on a Steel body reso for a keeper for myself. When I get it done I will post some pictures of it for critique. I plan on doing some fancy stuff with the metal as I was a sheet metal for several years. Even served an 8,000 hour apprenticeship as such.

I am an avid daily reader of MIMF which is a great boost to Luthiers all over the world.

Again, am still blown away with envy of your guitar building job. Have a good one.

------------------
Pete Hunter

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 6:55 am    

Can't wait to see the metalbody, that was the first guitar I built. Are you using the Beard blueprints? My metalworking skills are pretty poor but I still came up with a slightly wavy but great sounding National clone.

Pete Hunter

Republic, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 2:48 pm    

I will post pictures for sure when I am done with it but it will probablt be 2 months or so as I am just starting on it. I was going to use the Beard plans then found a friend with an old National who wanted a new resonator put in it so while I had it apart I did some measuring and am making it off the original measurements.

I can't decide on how to finish it. Nickel plating is about out of the question. Did you paint yours? I plan to take a sheet metal beading machine (roller type) and run a 1/4" bead in the metal about 1.5" in from the outside edge. This should stiffen it a lot and keep the waves from creeping in when I solder it together.

I hope I'm not boring others with my chatter about this.

------------------
Pete Hunter

[This message was edited by Pete Hunter on 03 March 2000 at 02:49 PM.]

[This message was edited by Pete Hunter on 03 March 2000 at 02:50 PM.]

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 5:54 pm    

Us, boring? Ha! I made mine a copy of a '30 Triolian, and did a "Walnut Sunburst" A very hi-tech finish consisting of two shades of Krylon The Beard plans were of a slightly later model with the rolled in "F" holes. I made a rubbing off an original and did mine with the flat cut holes. I bought a plated coverplate and had it stripped so that I could paint it. You can get unplated ones from National for about a C note. Between buying the plated one and stripping it I spent about $70 so there's not alot of difference.

Mine is a bit wavy because I bent the flanges with a hammer over a wood buck, a bit low tech. I have a tricone coverplate and plan on doing one someday. I had it all set to do a few months ago and then got the idea for the Weissonator. Maybe after I get these two flattops done......

Pete Hunter

Republic, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 11:01 am    

Mike,
If you ever make another metal body reso find and "old timey" sheet metal shop and have them use a "burring" machine to turn the 1/4" flange on the top and bottom. It will make a nice clean bend on the edges. Some of the newer modern shops wouldn't know what a burring machine is. The old ways are slipping by in a lot of areas of life. (sigh)

------------------
Pete Hunter

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 12:13 pm    

A machinist friend is going to make me up a steel buck and mold when I get set to do another one.

On another note I had a real treat today as forum member Bill Chaviers and his son Marshall dropped by my house to see the Weiss in person. Marshall lives in town and Bill was on vacation and decided to drop me a note and see if they could come by. A nicer couple a guy's you couldn't ask for. We had a good talk and played the guitar a bit. Thanks Bill and Marshall

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2000 3:42 pm    

Eat your heart out people. I detoured from Houston to Dallas by way of Phoenix to drool over Mikes new toy and to listen to him play it. It sure is a great instrument and I am looking forward to seeing what else this talented craftsman will build. I am here where my son has moved to and I am looking for a place to go listen to some good ole steel music. TONIGHT!!! Can anyone suggest a place in the Phoenix metro area that would offer something? Bluegrass or Country is fine!! But I am looking for tonight Saturday March 4th 2000..... I will be checking back often to see if anyone knows of a place. www.billchaviers.com

[This message was edited by billchav on 04 March 2000 at 03:43 PM.]