The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Gibson Flat Top
Keith Poteat

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 7:05 pm    

My Father-in-law has an old Gibson flat top, I think they call it a three quarter size, he bought new right after WWll. In really good shape with the original alligator hyde case. His health is going down fast and will probably be selling it soon. Does anyone have some idea what this guitar would be worth?

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 7:45 pm    

Keith,
Sorry to hear about your father in law and I hope he gets better real soon. Regarding the guitar, a '40's or '50's Gibson guitar might be worth something, but you really have to know what you have to sell it. My advice would be to contact George Gruhn at www.gruhnguitars.com and have the guitar authenticated and appraised. You can do this either in-person or by sending pictures. Good luck.

Keith Poteat

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 8:41 pm    

Thanks Michael. I had never heard of this place. I may see what they think of my old Gretch Country Gentleman while I'm at it.

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2011 4:41 pm     Old Gibson Flat Top

Hi Keith,
I'd be willing to guess your guitar is a Gibson LG series guitar (LG-1, sunburst and ladder-braced, LG-2, Sunburst but X braced, LG-3, natural finish) as the time frame is right and this was their smaller flattop compared to their J45 (they even made a 3/4 size LG at one point, but those are not too common). Do a little web searching and see if what you have looks like any of these, and you can also get a rough idea of what they are selling for (and I do mean rough, as values vary considerably between individual sellers, dealers, and of course issues of condition). If you have pics or more details I can probably tell you more. Since I don't always check my pm, you can email me at jkally3@cox.net. Good luck and sorry to hear of the situation that may bring it up for sale.