The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Jack Perkins - Vibra Tone Bar
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2011 11:37 am    

I played at 11St Cowboy Bar in Bandera on Saturday and was surprised to see my 'ol pal Jack Perkins in the audience. If you don't know about Jack there are some previous links below about his Vibra Tone bar.

I've known Jack for a lot of years, and as always, he insisted I try out one of his bars. I have one of his original Vibra Tone bars, but this was his newest design, with different 'tone thingies'. He tried to explain, but I didn't quite get it. Anyway, I ended up playing with his bar all night, and even though it was initially weird, (it's a 15/16" stainless bar compared to the BJS 7/8" bar I normally use) once I got used to it I liked it a lot. I can't speak for the physics of the 'tone thingies' that you hear rattling inside the bar, but I can tell you that it's a very light bar, with a great "smooth" feel on the strings, and I didn't hear ANY loss of tone or sustain. As you know, judging this sort of thing related to tone is pretty subjective, but I felt like with the lighter bar I was more accurate and crisp with the bar movements, and 'something' was really good above the 12th fret. I'm not sure quite how to verbalize it, it was just better. Bottom line, it really worked well for me.

So.. I bought it, and Jack asked me to post something about it here on the forum. If you're interested, I think his phone number is in one of the links below, but his address has changed.

Jack Perkins
2107 Dena Dr.
Kerrville, TX 78028

830-895-3253

Jack is one of those guys you really need to meet to appreciate, one of a kind, and I really like his new bar. Oh yeah, he's still doing the magnet thing too, you can read about that in the links below.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1322349&sid=b3f8a2bbb2e83cc3b6a58eea604ad8de

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1537762&sid=bd431a48267a8d6aa706baa86b9ff4d9

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1432375&sid=630cd80d95eff3adc127c34fc7670789

Last edited by Bill Terry on 12 Apr 2011 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2011 12:25 pm    

this made me think....wouldn't a playboy bunny's vibrator create some nice effects?

David Munson

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2011 8:46 am     Perkins bar

Does he have a 12 string longer model? How about an email address?

David Munson
St. Louis

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2011 10:10 am    

David, I don't think Jack is online in any capacity, so the best thing would just be to call him up. He'd be glad to talk to you and answer questions I'm sure.

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2011 8:03 pm     Jack's bar

I use and play with one of Jack's bars. I have a half dozen or more bars that I use from time to time. They are all good, but, I always seem to come back to Jacks "ting a ling" bar. It just gives me a better responce all the way up and down the neck and strings. And without a doubt, it's by far the most comfortable bar that I have.
BB