The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1974 Gibson Mastertone RB250
Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2011 1:56 pm    

1974 Gibson Mastertone RB250 Banjo for sale or trade. This banjo is an original made in August of 1974. The tone ring was changed many years ago with a Tennessee 20 tone rings. The hoop is in good shape with the original sticker and no signs of delamination. Other than the tonering change it is a all original. The tube and plate flange do not have any cracks and they were recently cleaned and polished. When I got the banjo the first several frets were shot and they were replaced by a authorized Martin Luthier who did a great job matching the frets and replacing them (first seven were done then the entire board was leveled and crowned). The banjo still has the original tuners and no others have been installed or other holes drilled. The banjo has a 5 star head and a Sosebee brigde. It sounds great. There is a little honest play wear....but it the banjo was played by an older gentlemen is his bluegrass band. I have a case that looks to be 36 years old...but doesn't appear to be the original Gibson case. It also has the orignal Gibson booklet that covers info on all their stringed instruments in that year. I am a beginnner that took this in trade on a pedal steel (I have played steel for many years) and it is just more banjo than I need. I will sell it straight out fro $1750 plus shipping with the older case or will upgrade the case to a Guardian Fiberglass case I bought for it for $100 more. I will also entertain a partial trade for a Gold Star Banjo or for a Recording King with a tone ring. I will post pictures later today.