The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L Pickups
David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2011 8:51 pm    

I'm getting ready, to buy 2 custom pickups. They will be used for my '95 Mullen D-10. I've been told, that I should get George L "EON" pickups. Any information, feedback, etc...would be greatly appreciated! From what I know; the E-66 Model, came before the EON Model.
Basically, what is the difference...between the E-66 vs. the EON? And, is the EON...a Humbucking Pickup? I'm almost certain, that they both are.

Thanks in advance!

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2011 5:03 pm     pick ups?

David, I have george l pick ups on all my steels,
the e66 is for the old emmons type tone this
was designed by buddy.
for the c6th i have what i believe they call 1-10
any way this pick up is designed for the jimmey day
sound on c6th.Yes these are both humbucker style and
to me very quiet as far as no hum goes.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2011 8:44 am     Eon

David, according to the George L folks, the only difference between the E-66 and the EON is that the wire is wound around a stainless steel blade in the E-66 and an iron blade in the EON. I couldn't really hear any difference comparing my EON to my friend's E-66, both in Carter guitars. They are both very bright humbucking pickups. I still have my EON but I'm currently using a single coil Trutone pickup by Jerry Wallace.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2011 10:06 am    

George L 10-1's sound really good on that vintage Mullen.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 3:35 am     Pickups & Confusion...

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate all of the info, on pickups! Sure has become confusing. Rolling Eyes

The first person, offered to sell me George L's "EON." Since then, I've been informed...that the EON may make my '95 Mullen...sound BAD. Now, I know of the "Wallace - Truetones" & the "Alumitone." It's great, to have this info. Please, keep the posts coming!

Thanks...& take care!

Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

David Rupert

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 3:55 pm    

Seriously though...more information & feedback, would surely be welcomed. Rolling Eyes

I'm surprised, that with the amount of members we have...only a few people, have information/feedback...regarding pickups? Crying or Very sad Then again... Winking lol

Becoming weary...once again. Oh Well

P.S.- Thanks to everyone, who has replied. I really appreciate it!
It's just a little "strange." I have a serious question/request...as I don't want to make the wrong decision, & buy pickups...that don't sound good, on my particular guitar.
Then again, I see people arguing over what color Emmons sounds best, or what brand of shoes are best...if you play through a tube amp, or what brand of finger picks do you use...if the humidity is greater than 40% after 8pm on weeknights. Etc, etc. Smile

Last edited by David Rupert on 10 Mar 2011 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 4:19 pm    

I run E66's, it is a humbucker but it is wound lighter than the 10-1 i believe, so a slightly thinner sound but very nice and warm and not muddy, cut's through the mix with sparkling highs if you are doing live work, and almost no noise no matter how bad the room.
Can't speak for the EON.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 4:26 pm    

Thanks Chappy! We crossed in the mail. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it! Smile

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 4:57 pm    

Thanks back Dave,I just read some more of your threads and my opinion is this; If you have a very good pick-up, no matter what brand, i think a person can 'HONE IT', whether it be single or humbucking, but it is a minut difference sometimes. What ever choice you make, it wont 'MAKE' or 'BREAK' your style and Employment...
Now...About opening that can o worms?? Laughing

David Rupert

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 9:21 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
Thanks back Dave,I just read some more of your threads and my opinion is this; If you have a very good pick-up, no matter what brand, i think a person can 'HONE IT', whether it be single or humbucking, but it is a minut difference sometimes. What ever choice you make, it wont 'MAKE' or 'BREAK' your style and Employment...
Now...About opening that can o worms?? Laughing

Good hearing from you again. Now, when you say "If you have a very good pickup, no matter what brand" - Do you mean, even a "stock pickup?" Also, what do mean, when you say a person can "Hone It?" How would one..."Hone" a pickup? One of the big reasons, I am concerned about making the right choice...when purchasing a custom pickup. I received an email, from a steel player. He gave me some info & feedback, regarding my decision/purchase of new pickups. I've been told, that putting a George L "EON" - or even pickups that are similar...on a Pre-RP Mullen, my sound/tone...would really suffer, & not sound very good at all. So, I really want to make "the right choice," when I purchase my new pickups.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2011 1:41 pm    

I've always liked the E-66 except I felt they were too thin, especially on a Mullen. Then George-L came out with the TW pick-up which is made like an E-66 but wound a little heavier. I think the TW pick-up has a better balanced tone than the E-66. My rule of thumb on a pick-up is if you get something too thin and shrill, you can't dial it out. You can always add highs. I think you would be real happy with a TW pick-up. TW is the Tommy White model that George-L makes.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2011 4:23 pm    

David,
Before you do anything, go to You Tube--put in "Leona Williams Yes Mam". Scroll down to the one that says "Yes Mam" The Grand Ladies Show Branson, MO 08". It's a concert with Boo Miller playing a 1995 Mullen with "stock" Mullen pickups that were wound to specs for that particular year/model. If you don't have those same pickups, then you should give a good listen. My feeling is that Boo is getting an incredible tone! After I managed to contact him, he very graciously gave me the info on his guitar, which is also a 1995 Mullen. He also impressed upon me that the pickups had to be "stock" Mullen--wound to specs for that particular year/model!
Hope this helps.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2011 10:13 pm    

I agree, you can't go wrong with a Mullen single coil. I had an older Mullen with single coils and never had any problems with hum. And they sounded great.

baxter vaughan

Lubbock, Texas 79424
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 5:22 am    

when i was playing a mullen with stock single coils, i did'nt like it. personally don't care for the E66 either..it's too thin. i've had good luck with the 10-1; but i prefer the sho-bud sound anyway. the tw model is good as well. haven't heard anyone mention bill lawrence..i really like the 705.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2011 6:09 am    

I've always preferred the sound of a single coil pickup but a while ago I one of the places I played at caused a terrible problem with hum on my single coils. I inherited a 10-1 from a friend who passed away a couple of years ago so I put it in on my E9th neck. I thought it sounded very nice. I kept it in the guitar for a couple of years and liked it. I no longer play that gig so the single coil is back in the guitar.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 8:35 am     To switch, or not to switch...that is the question...

Mornin' Everyone! Smile

Just read the newer posts. Great stuff!! Really gives me something to think about. Maybe I'll just keep my stock pickups...on my '95 Mullen? I'm not sure. It's not "hum," that has me bothered. I'm just searching for that "Ultimate Tone"...like so many other steel players. Rolling Eyes

Really, most of a players tone...comes from "the hands." I feel, I have nice tone. The rest of my technique, is good too. I'm "happy," with my playing. My Mullen, sounds really good/very nice. But, sometimes I'll play another person's Mullen (of the same year)...& the tone I get, is incredible/awesome!! The last time I tried out someone's steel - it was a Mullen (a '95 also, I'm almost certain). He did have custom pickups, & I was playing through some really nice "high end" gear (amp & speakers). I was using My Volume Pedal, Bar & Picks. But, the tone...was just incredible!! I want "that sound!!" Wink

Anyway, thanks again...for all of the great posts. I really appreciate it!! Smile Excellent info, & feedback!!

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 1:34 pm     GEORGE L pickups

Dave ;I have a TW and aPF2 that Im not using that I took out of my 1995 mullen If you want to try them out you are welcome.All you would be out is labor to put them in.Let me know Dave Morrison

David Rupert

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2011 2:46 pm     Re: GEORGE L pickups

Dave Morrison wrote:
Dave ;I have a TW and aPF2 that Im not using that I took out of my 1995 mullen If you want to try them out you are welcome.All you would be out is labor to put them in.Let me know Dave Morrison

Hi Dave!

Thanks very much for your kind offer! Please email me, & I'll send you a message...with more details.

Take care...& thanks again!

Terry Miggins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 3:00 pm    

I am considering buying a pedal steel w/ George l "TW" pickups. What do people think of these pickups? Are they low volume pickups? Are they humbuckers or single coil? This will be my first psg. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 3:09 pm    

Jimmy Day used 10-1's in his Mullen. I always thought they sounded great.

Terry Miggins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 3:17 pm    

Are they humbuckers?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 5:34 pm    

George L's TW pickups are Tommy White signature that he endorsed at one time. They are indeed humbucker pickups at about 18.6 OHMS DC resistance according to my old GL's data info. They sit somewhere between the brighter E66 and the darker 10-1 models.

Should be a good all around pickup with good clean tone and plenty of volume.