The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  New head version of steel amp by Fox Vintrage Amps
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 3:22 pm    

This is the prototype we will show in Dallas. I just finished covering the cab today. I think the productions models will still be the same as the steel amp for covering and grill cloth, unless this just catches on really well.

It is covered in Mojotone brown ostrich with Marshall cane grill (grill is sprayed with Zinnser BullsEye Shellac, amber tint).

Same specs as the steel amp. We will be taking orders at Dallas for this and can configure these as normal for 1 or 2 4 ohms speakers. We can also configure them for 1 or 2 each 8 ohm cabinets.

Our steel amps all have a multi-tap output transformer allowing for one or two speaker loads, while properly maintaining the correct impedance when an extension of the same value as the main is plugged into the head.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 4:02 pm     Oh boy!

Wow, I like this. Are these still the full 92 Watts? And what do they weight? I like the thermal ports on the front (in the baffle). Darn good idea.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 4:10 pm    

Yes, Tom. It is the same exact amp. I did a 100 watt Twin on my scope and got 85 watts a couple of days ago, so our rating is pretty conservative!

I need to put in on the scales to get a weight.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 4:26 pm    

It weighs in at 36lbs.

I think I am going to change the power cable to the 18' IEC pigtail, like we used on the reverb units. That way all you have to store in the amp is about 12" of pigtail to put back in the amp. A standard computer power cord is used to plug into that. Like the reverb unit we will have a zipper pocket in the D2F cover to store the power cord, guitar cords, etc.

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 4:36 pm    

Man thats Awesome !!!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 10:59 pm    

Good-lookin' amp! I covered an old Sho-Bud pac-seat in that same stuff.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2011 4:18 am    

Thanks to all!

Also Tom Palmer, from D2F, will have the cover for this one when I get to Dallas, just got that ordered yesterday.

I have a standard 115 extension (in our standard rough brown Tolex with tweed era cloth) that we will use as an extension in Dallas.

We can also do matching cabs for these as well on the next run of amps we produce.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2011 6:55 am    

We arrived last night at the RV campground in Grapvine, Tx. We woke up by a beautiful lake and just finished a great breakfast in our new/old 1987 Airstream, 32ft travel trailer! Life is great!!!

Load in time is 2:00PM today (Thursday). Look forward to a great show. Albert tells me people are coming from all over the world, as far away as South Africa, Europe and other great coutries as well.

We look forward to see all of you there. I will also be participating in the seminar on Friday and Saturday in the Telonics room on setting the tone controls on amps. Not sure of the time.