The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ralph Mooney's copedent and pedal technique
David Ellison

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 1:32 pm    

I'm just getting back into playing pedal steel after years of playing a double-8 Stringmaster, and I'm brushing up on my Mooney licks (I'm a huge fan, and learned to play E9 from old Buck Owens records).

Years ago, I saw his copedent (in Winnie Winston's book?). What I seem to remember is that he didn't have the standard "c" pedal... instead he had a pedal that only raised the E to F#. Since he had no chromatic string to get the F#, my conclusion was that he had to have been using both feet on the pedals... using the A & B with his left foot and the E to F# with his right. I've wondered about this for years (saw him play once, but was too far away to see his feet). Does anyone know if this is how he actually works the pedals? With that setup, there's no other way to play those licks that I can see.

When trying to duplicate his licks, I would either use the C pedal or the F# chromatic or even slide a whole step up, depending on what worked best. I like the idea of having one pedal somewhere near my right foot to do that.

John Robel

colbert washington
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 1:54 pm    

Try Al Brisco's steel guitar site. He has a video on Mooney! John

Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 2:26 pm    

Mooney does use both feet on the pedals...or at least he did with that setup. Not sure what he does now. But it can be done with just your left foot if you're quick enough, like Al Brisco does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSWzeh7uYgU