The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  **Sold on Ebay**: Custom Koa Top Tele by VZ Custom
Bud Veazey

Lawrenceville, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2011 11:45 am    

Although this one sold on Ebay, there will be more VZ Custom Guitars listed on this Forum soon.

$750 with hard shell tweed case.

The professional musician who bought this guitar a few weeks ago returned it because, being accustomed to jumbo frets and a medium C neck, he just couldn't get comfortable with the medium frets and fat neck on this guitar. Otherwise, he loved the guitar and gave it high marks for workmanship and tone. I happily accepted the return because I believe a pro should have a "tool" that fits his hand.

So, if you saw this guitar on the forum before and you thought about buying it, here's a second chance.

I built this custom Tele in my shop in Lawrenceville, Georgia. The body, featuring a book matched Koa top on a mahogany body was crafted by Musikraft. The Koa and mahogany really didn’t need any additional color so I finished this guitar in clear nitrocellulose lacquer.

The 21 fret one-piece birdseye maple neck is from Musikraft. It has a vintage style fat C Profile--1.01” at the first fret, 1.01” at the 12th fret. It has medium 6105 frets, and single action truss rod. The truss rod adjustment is at the heel. The nut width is 1-5/8". The fretboard radius is 9.5".

Before you consider this guitar, make sure you like a fat neck. Personally, I like the profile. It feels good and solid and I think it adds some resonance to the guitar.

The tuners are Genuine Kluson vintage style. I cut and installed a bone nut.

The pickups are Bill Lawrence Keystones (If you buy this guitar and have a set of pickups that you prefer over the ones I have installed, send them to me and I will install them and give you a $70 credit for the Keystones. A $35 installation charge will be deducted from that credit. Bottom line: if you provide your own pickups you can deduct $35 from the price of the guitar.)

The electronics on this guitar are fairly standard: CTS pots, Orange Drop Cap, Switchcraft output jack, Fender 3-way switch.

The bridge is a Joe Barden vintage 3-barrel compensated bridge. The Joe Barden bridge is my favorite because of its ease if installation and intonation.

Included with this guitar is a brand new hard shell Tweed case manufactured by Tradition Guitars.

Questions welcome. If you need more pictures, let me know.