The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Audio Chord Wizard in BB 2011
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2010 10:49 am    

Has anyone got this to work successfully? I have tried 4 - 5 songs and the chords it finds does not even resemble the correct chords or even the correct key. The file plays but the chords as well as the progression displayed are way off.

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2010 12:59 pm     Re: Audio Chord Wizard in BB 2011

Ron Sodos wrote:
Has anyone got this to work successfully? I have tried 4 - 5 songs and the chords it finds does not even resemble the correct chords or even the correct key. The file plays but the chords as well as the progression displayed are way off.

Just got my copy of 2011 and loaded it last night so I have not tried the new ACW yet. However, the most important thing you can do to get the old, and I assume the new, version to work is to get the FIRST BEAT set at the correct location. If this is not at the correct beat, you will never get very good results. Also, make sure that the time signature is correct. Translating a 3/4 song as 4/4 will get real crazy real fast.

Songs with a steady recorded beat translate better than "free form" waves. You may need to go in and move several "on the beat" markers to get things to read right.

I have had pretty good success in geting this to work but some recordings took a lot more effort to work out than others.

I'll have a couple days off and hope to give the new version a try. I'll try it on some files I did before and see if there is any improvement.

Blessings, Gary

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2010 1:14 pm     Not sure I even know how to find the first beat.

I played a song that was nothing but 4 chord blues in F
F-Bb-F-F-G etc

came back Gbm7 Ebm7 Bb7/E and all other chords and that were totally incomprehensible for the file I played.

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2010 4:17 pm     Re: Not sure I even know how to find the first beat.

OK, it came back with this . . . but did you make any corrections to the "start" beat? I have found that I always had to correct the "beginning beat" before it would give me correct progressions/chords.

If you simply imported the file and looked at what you got, I have no doubt that it is garbage.

I did an extensive outline for another form mate some time ago. Perhaps a search for "Auto Chord wizzard" in BIAB catagory will discover it.

How "proficient" are you with the Chord Wizzard? It takes some time using it to get good results. It really is not a "plug and play" type of feature.

Blessings, Bo

Here is a copy of an old responce to a forum mate that was having some problems:

I've used this over a 100 times and can say that it is by far the most accurate "transcriber" I have used.

There are some things that MUST be done to get "great" results.

1. Convert those MP3 files to a standard wave file. Then import them. While the human ear can't tell the dirrerence it seems the PC can.

2. Listen to the content. The Wizard devides the sound into "frequency zones" which it uses to determine the chord structure. If the root note is in the base "zone" while the 3,5,7 are in the mid zone you will likely get a false reading.

In the Wizard's main menu is a menu option called "Analysis". In this you can set defaults that can improve the read. In the above case you can lower the base note "split" so the wizard reads the correct root note.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do to get great results is to insure that the bar measures are hitting on the correct beat. You do that by moving (dragging) the bars to match up to the first measure beat. Sometimes moving the first beat corrects all following and sometimes you must move several within the song. This takes some pratice (took me about two weeks to get good at it!). If the tempo "drifts" you HAVE to either stretch or shorten that measure's time. If you want to see how this effects the chord readings just move some beats around and see what happens. Looks like a different song!.

3. The Wizard will try it's best to determine the "tempo" of your song - but defaults to 4/4 TS.

If you are importing a 3/4 or 7/8 or anything other than 4/4 be sure to change that setting.

Also, don't be afraid to bump the tempo up/down a little to get a better reading. Sometimes that is all it takes.

This can be a great tool to use but does take some time - but IMHO time well spent.

........ Now if we could just get Peter to convert all that data to MIDI Notes . . .. . well then you will really have something!!??

Blessings, Bo

Ron Sodos wrote:
I played a song that was nothing but 4 chord blues in F
F-Bb-F-F-G etc

came back Gbm7 Ebm7 Bb7/E and all other chords and that were totally incomprehensible for the file I played.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2010 10:24 am     Well it worked.

Thanx for the response. After aligning the fist beat of the first bar it pulled a much better chart. I understand now also that if there is a lot of heavy soloing the converter has a hard time understanding the chords. It works better when a simple rhythm track is playing. I pulled a track and cut out a piece before the heavy soloing started and it worked well. Seems to be a great tool once you get the hang of it.

Thanx again
Ron Sodos

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2010 11:50 am     Re: Well it worked.

Ron Sodos wrote:
Thanx for the response. After aligning the fist beat of the first bar it pulled a much better chart. I understand now also that if there is a lot of heavy soloing the converter has a hard time understanding the chords. It works better when a simple rhythm track is playing. I pulled a track and cut out a piece before the heavy soloing started and it worked well. Seems to be a great tool once you get the hang of it.

Thanx again
Ron Sodos

Glad to hear that it is comming together for you. Once you get that first beat set play back the song and watch where it puts the first beat of each measure. Usually the first few measures will line up, but further down the staff they will start to "drift". That is where you want to go in and manually adjust the first beat of each measure.

Sometimes just adjusting one beat will re-align this back up, and other times you will need to readjust a few more to get to the end of the song.

Read a littl of the online help and if you have them watch the video on this topic. Both will get you going now that you can see what a difference a few changes will make to the outcome. If you spend just a little more time with this it will become a great tool you come bac to time and again.

Blessings, Gary