The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey L.A 400
Eugenio Poppi

Italy
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 12:00 pm    

Hi, I found in a music store one Peavey LA 400 (I never seen it before)for a very interesting price. It's very similar to the Nashville 400 but the cone is 12" (BLACK WIDOW) instead of 15". Does anybody of you had experience about it used for the steel guitar? I would like to have opinions about a comparation not to the N400, but to the Nashville 112 that have the same cone but seems very different. Thank you, Eugenio

Edward Byrne

Foxford, County Mayo, Ireland
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 12:52 pm    

hi eugenio, i owned one for about seven years, it is part of the 400 series which included, the nashville 400, vegas 400, reno 400 and austin 400, 210 watts rms, mega mega loud, it is more voiced and suited to lead guitar, but i did use it for steel as well, the 12" black widow is a brilliant speaker, i couldn't hurt that speaker, whaever i put through it, very depedable, the LA400 could though, be a little bit harsh in tone, i think the nashville 112 is better tonally, definately sweeter, but the LA 400 scores highly with me, a very good overdrive on the channel switch, very controllable, but with shared eq with the clean channel, BUY IT, a good friend of mine in England, now has my old one, he is an amp collector, and he also owns an identical one as well, and he likes to think that they may be the only two in England,

Eugenio Poppi

Italy
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 1:00 pm    

Thank you very much Edward. As the price is very low I will probably buy it. Eugenio

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 3:11 pm    

Back in the 80's I think Peavey called it "The City Series"........Nashville,Reno,Vegas,Austin,and LA 400's.

Mitch Adelman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 3:14 pm    

Hi Eugenio,

I have had one since mid 80's and its a great little amp. Same chassis as nashville 400. Loud and heavy lil guy. Very under rated amp (and rare). Send it to Ken Fox and he gave mine the intense mod and it makes a very good steel amp!Sweetens it up and takes out the harshness. Keep the mids off and shift in center.Very much worth it!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2010 3:29 pm    

I have an Austin 400, which is the same but with 2 12" speakers. They're not Black Widows, I think Scorpions? The clean channel is good for steel, and the overdrive channel belongs with Big Hair and trickle-down as an unfortunate 80's mistake. I don't really use it, hmmm.

Eugenio Poppi

Italy
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2010 4:43 am    

Hey guys, thank you very much for all your answer ... Now I have no doubt and buy it. Eugenio

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2010 6:14 am    

First thing I would do is to change the audio chips out to the Burr Brown 2134PA chips. Will make a world of difference in the amp for sure.

A super amp, the main difference is the EQ section is not active like the Nashville, more like the older Session 400 EQ controls, as I recall