The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fenders vs. gibson consoles
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 8:56 pm    

i'm sure they are completely different sounding, but how? does anybody out there play one? they don't seem to get mentioned much here on the forum.they sure aren't as expensive as the fenders. Will

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 11:24 pm    

I have owned both a Gibson Console Grande D-8 1953 in near mint condition and a 1957 Fender Stringmaster D-8 that had some play wear but in excellent playing condition held tune great etc.

There is no comparison in the sound of these 2 steels. They both sounded good but there was just something about the Stringmaster that made it extra special it really had "THAT" sound. The Gibson had a more mellow tone not quite as twangy or country/westernswing sound as the Stringmaster did. The pickups in the Stringmaster were very responsive and it just screamed when cranked or sounded as clear as a country stream when played at normal volumes. Everytime I unplugged the Stringmaster and plugged in any of my other guitars (Strats Teles etc) they all sounded dead dull and lifeless in comparison to the Stringmaster. Forum member Bob Hoffnar bought my Stringmaster and I know he is just loving it.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 11:34 pm    

Yup, I sure am !

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 12:20 am    

Mark my brother; I still can't believe you sold that steel; but on the other hand, Bob I'm glad you got what you wanted.
I agree there is no comparison. The Stringmaster has a wide tonal range that most Hawaiian steels just can't offer. The rest will sound like they sound> some of them dang good> but the incredible variety of the stringmaster is where I follow. That's why me and Archie Cox have designed my new "SS HAWAIIAN" 10-string steel after the Fender. Proven and timeless design should be respected.

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 4:10 pm    

I had both a Gibson Console Grande and a Fender S-8 Fender. The Gibson looked great (sunburst lacquer) and sure was a quality built instrument, but yes, the Fender had more sound... I think Fender's "secret" was the pick ups...

... J-D.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 4:34 pm    

Two different guitars and two different sounds.I like them both.