The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Engineering Degree for BIAB
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 4:46 am    

I consider myself a fairly smart person.
I'm known as one of the best Automatic Transmission builders in this area.I played Pedal Steel as a Pro,
I was a preet good lead player before that,I played Bass for David Church for a while(Hank williams impersonator). Mechanics are easy for me.
HOW in the %$#@ do you learn about Band in the Box??!!, All of these Musical notes of which I know squat about, and your supposed to be able to USE this? I fixed the problem I bought a Teac 4 track recorder and a Tascam Cassette Recorder to Master on little Mixing board,they can JAM Band in the Box:).
Someone NEEDS to make something Peons can use, My Tracks are probably better any who....Just wanted to say this Thanks I feel a Bell of a lot Hetter

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 5:10 am    

Believe it or not, but the latest release has a better user interface than its predecessors. The user interface has always been poor and bad user manuals. But once you figure it out, it is very powerful.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 2:25 pm    

You should check out my new instructional video for BIAB. You can see details and demos at my website.

www.rickcampbellworld.com

Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 2:56 pm     Thank You

Some things frustrate me especially ones that are supposed to be easy to use,Of course it's easy for the engineer that developed it,I had a Fostek digital recorder I got rid of because it was so user unfriendly,Look on e Bay those Porta Studios tascam made bring good money because they are easy to use

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 3:34 pm     Re: Thank You

Bill Howard wrote:
Some things frustrate me especially ones that are supposed to be easy to use,Of course it's easy for the engineer that developed it,I had a Fostek digital recorder I got rid of because it was so user unfriendly,Look on e Bay those Porta Studios tascam made bring good money because they are easy to use

Hey Bill,

I agree about those Tascam recorders. I bought the first cassette four track when it came out in the early 80's. It cost me about $1400 best I remember, and I had to wait about three months to get it. I moved up to their eight track portastudio, then to Roland VS equipment, and more recently to computer based DAW recording. It's a fun journey.

BTW: I'm am an engineer, and a pretty good mechanic, but I don't think I'd tackle an automatic transmission. I respect your skills. With your experience with music and recording, BIAB should be a piece of cake.

The main thing is to have fun. Smile

Last edited by Rick Campbell on 28 May 2010 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 4:07 pm    

Bill:
Check out this web site for BIAB. http://www.gwixon.com/index.html

George has done a very good job on this site and has been doing it for a few years now.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2010 6:44 pm    

Good job on the video Rick, looks real professional. Smile

Tom McGrath

Northern Ireland, U.K.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2010 2:41 pm     Band-in-a-box DVD Tutorial

Hi Rick,

Just got the DVD tutorial for BIAB yesterday Thursday 10th June and watched it through from the beginning to the end you have done a great job and I only wish I'd have had a long time ago it would have saved me countless hours of agony and torment of mind trying to get the best out of BIAB.

Please keep me informed if you produce any more DVD's

Kind Regards
Tom McGrath

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2010 9:59 am    

I'm in the same boat Bill ! Oh Well
I have BIAB 2006 and can hardly play back a pre set.
I did order Ricks DVD. I will put some more hours in it. Laughing

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 11:12 am    

Bill,

If you follow my DVD, I think you'll find that it's not that complicated and you'll be making good tracks in a couple of hours. I was where you're at for a long time, until I finally sit down and figured it out. You might want to upgrade from version 2006. A lot has changed since then. I'd play around with 2006 and my DVD first though and see if you've got the interest before you spend the money to upgrade. My guess is that you will.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 6:20 pm    

I almost freaked when I saw how I should be cleaning my pedal steel. (On Rick's site.)

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 8:23 am    

More often the problem is not BIAB. The problem generally is the lack of understanding the principles of song structure, chord formula and application. Until a person learns these things to at least a basic degree, generating something of your own in BIAB is always going to be a mystery.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 9:19 am    

Stuart Legg wrote:
More often the problem is not BIAB. The problem generally is the lack of understanding the principles of song structure, chord formula and application. Until a person learns these things to at least a basic degree, generating something of your own in BIAB is always going to be a mystery.

I thought I knew a little about chord theory, and structure...since BIAB, I'm not so sure...what a person does 'naturally' when actually playing something, becomes a little unnatural when trying to put it into BIAB words, shoot for me puting it in english is difficult enough...but I will figure it out, with ya'all's help of course/
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2010 11:35 pm    

The user interface is still absurd: rows of buttons not collected into coherent panels or palettes...ugh.

On my Mac, the app (2009.5) has also been unstable and crashy, and I've lost lots of work and time on several occasions.

Is there any app like this that's better/simpler/more stable?

Paul M. Matthews

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2010 5:00 am    

My Windows XP computer died and now I have Windows 7 and the BIAB drums are slightly faster than the selected songs. Has anybody had this problem? Better yet, how did you fix it? I also get asked a lot of questions before it opens up????????

Michael Sparks

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 7:09 pm    

Rick,

You just got a BIAB DVD order from another practicing engineer that's fairly well flummoxed by BIAB. Looking forward to going through it.

Emmons Resound 65 (any minute now...), 2017 Mullen G2, 2010 Emmons Le Grande II, 2003 Emmons Le Grande III, Emmons PP x 2, Telonics VP, Milkman 85W Pedal Steel Amp, Milkman Mini-40

Dave Yustin

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2010 7:40 pm     Biab

Bill:
I too am mechanically inclined but I play everything by ear. Guitar, 5 string banjo, bagpipes, steel. Rick Campbells BIAB made easy is terrific, but I know what you mean about what notes to use.
I just play the melody notes with my electronic tuner on. Whatever note it displays is usually the same chord and if not, you can bracket by making it sharp, flat, minor, seventh or amy combination such as Em7. A little trial and error goes a long way here. Once you get one song down that uses all of these, you'll quickly remember and can use an existing song as a reference for others. I know, I should just learn some theory--but I've been cheating by playing by ear since I was 7.

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2010 12:59 am    

I have commented on this before but not recently. A dummy like me has had no problem with BIAB since its inception. All one has to do is follow the simple instructions and do not read into them and inject your own ideas. I have helped out quite a few over the yrs that were stuck just by saying "ok. read this sentence etc and do what it says, don't worry about the wherefors, etc; just do it and the problem is solved. One guy said ok just like the Army, don't ask why, just do it. I bet this fits 90% of the people having trouble. cc