The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro Master Roger Williams
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2000 8:11 pm    

I wonder if Tab or any of the dobro fans out there know what became of Roger Williams. I only heard this man once and I beleive it was on a recording put out by a fiddler from New Brunswick, Canada. Anyway the guy did all I have ever heard done on a Dobro and much more. Amazing licks!!
Maybe things are better in their memories but I thought then and I still am inclined to beleive he is probably the best on the instrument I have ever heard.

Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 2:52 am    

Last I heard, he is still living here in New Hampshire. I've seen him in several different local bands. He has done more recording, but I can't give any specifics. And you're correct, he is an exceptional player.

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 11:29 am    

Thanks for the info over in Bar Chatter, Roy...
Yeah, I saw Roger a while back at Wintergrass Festival in Tacoma, WA...he was playing his Rudy Jones dobro, and sounded really good...I think that's right about him living in the NE...I just got a record by a fellow named Ray LeGere (mandolin player)
with him all over it...he sure has a nice tone...I can't remember the name of it here, but I am sure if you did a search on Ray LeGere, you would find him....
lemme know if that doesn't work and I'll see if I can't track him down for you...

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 1:01 pm    

I checked my collection of Dobro music and
the Ray Lagere album was the one I was referring to in my original post. Thanks for reminding me of it Tab.

The last tune on the album is an instrumental by Roger. It is in the key of "C" and goes into the A minor mode at the bridge.

I am glad you have it Tab because I wanted to ask you about the above noted solo and the wild ending incorporating lightening fast hammer-ons and bar pull-offs. He uses the technique throughout but the ending is particularily great because it is extended. Really nice! I would love to have the tablature for that. Any idea if it is out there somewhere?