The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String-Pulling?
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 4:15 am    

Not knowing any other lap-steel players, I've never seen it done - pulling a string up a half-tone behind the bar. I can see how useful it would be to raise the sixth of the chord to a seventh, or the major third up to a fourth and back. I just find it VERY difficult - I have to change my grip on the bar mid-lick and it seems (and sounds) so clumsy. Is there a secret? Very light strings? Super-human strength?
How's it done?

Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 6:47 am    

Tony:
It takes a little practice but after you get used to it,it will become natural. In fact, once you get it down you may tend to over use it.

I use my ring finger. Lighter strings do make a difference but it may be better to learn on heavier strings. You have to toughen up the tip of your finger a little. When I play my frypan, that has lighter stings than my dobro, I tend to over shoot the pull.

I don't seem to change the grip on the bar when I do it other than pushing in more on it with my thumb and middle finger. I guess what I really do is, in effect, grip the bar harder.

You should get it down in a day or two of trying.

I learned playing the song Faded Love. I just played it over and over until I get it down.

Pulling the string usually means to pull it and let go.

Bending the string usually means to bend it to the stop and hold it for the cords, the same effect as a bar slant.

Hope I've helped.

[This message was edited by Ric Nelson on 17 January 2000 at 06:49 AM.]

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 7:37 am    

I've heard you can hurt your fingers if you over-do it. I'm being very careful using this technique until my fingers get a little stronger. It certainly is a fun trick to add to the bag.

pverkuylen

the Netherlands
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 11:30 am    

It's more than a trick for me. It makes a lot more possible on dobro (& lap steel probably too): more chords, cleaner slants, steel guitar like licks. I use standard gauge strings and I put my thumb against the neck when pulling a string in order to have more strenght. That's not like it how is done in the books, but it works fine for me. Don't loose much on bar control either.
I've also grown used to adding pulls when I'm playing slants. There's always one string that needs to be brought up to the right pitch. Check out Stacy Phillips' books, and you'll find much this subject.
P.

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2000 9:57 am    

Outside of Jerry Byrd, the best I have seen at "string pulling" is Billy Robinson. Check him out at Scotty's Convention. I have also seen Buzz Evans do it beautifully on the pedal steel! Check him out in Las Vegas.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2000 10:50 am    

Also watch Junior Brown on TV. He can pull an inside string in tune while he's singing.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2000 10:58 am    

I agree, Junior does do a heck of a fine job on that Guitsteel....blows my mind every time, JB....must be something w/ those initials...
Mike