The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro guitars, what years were best?
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2000 5:38 pm    

The best sounding Dobros were the ones built before WW2 by Regal/Dobro.The body was built by Regal with the parts from Dobro.This is what Oswald played.If you ever hear one you will see why they are so good.I have owned many Dobro brand Dobros but none sound like the Regal/Dobro dobros.This is what Tut Taylor plays also.You can still find these $850.00-$1500.00.

Murray Cullen

Irvine, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2000 6:03 pm     Dobro guitars, what years were best?

I've heard that newer ones aren't as good as the old ones. Anyone know where the cutoff date is for a real good one?

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2000 7:53 pm    

I personally avoid 1975-1984 models.
Aloha,
Mike

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2000 12:59 am    

I have a "Hound Dog" (ser.# 152) which,I am told,is really a "Dobro"©,that I bought from "Shot",hisself. When Mosrite© & Dobro were in a litigation,both had to cease using the "Dobro" name,until a resolution.From what I understand,Dobro kept manufacturing,under the name,"Hound Dog". So,I could have a "collecter's item". I,also,own a Mosrite resophonic slide guitar (ser.# MS0020). I am assuming that,this was after the court decision. No mention of the name,"Dobro" appears on the Mosrite. I got the "Hound Dog" in the late "60's or early '70's. I got the Mosrite in the mid '70's. Can anyone tell me about the "history" of either one?

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 9:58 am    

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 11:48 am    

Murray, most of the players I know don't really care for any Dobro brand stuff made after '61 or so. If they buy a new instrument it's usually a Scheerhorn or one of the other small maker brands. I think there are a lot of good Dobros out there from the late 60's...Smiley, If you got that Hound dog in the '70's it's probably one of the OMI made ones. The Logo itself can give a better idea of the year (67 on) email with details and I'll see if I can help. I have a later Hound Dog-tobacco sunburst, no binding, no soundwell(!) serial # 8-207S-91H with the Logo "Original Hound Dog" over the dog looking straight ahead. These are early '90s (maybe '91 if the # makes sense!) and not a bad sounding guitar- I use it on a lot of recording sessions. The Mosrite/Dobro models were only made through around '70. Send me some details on construction, etc. I may be able to narrow it down. A lot of those are just like the '60s Dobro made ones

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Mullen D-10, Fender Triple 8, Dobro

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2000 12:17 pm    

Smiley-

I've got a Hound Dog too. Although, I think mine is much newer than the '60s. I'm out here in So Cal (home to Dobro until a few years ago). This HD squareneck was hangin' on a local dealer's wall. It appears to be plywood, says "Dobro" on the back of the headstock and has a cheap looking matte finish (looks like a cheap cowboy guitar). I thought mine was an early '90s.

Sound... I had just bought a new DW60F and promptly returned it because I thought the HD sounded better (fewer rattles, mostly). Oh yeah, I paid $275 out the door for the HD. The DW60F was $900 plus tax. Did I do OK?

Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 6:23 am    

Smiley:
It seems to me that the Dopyera brothers made the Hound Dog brand from 1967 to 1970 and then were able to use the Dobro name again. A friend of mine has a Hound Dog and we agree that it is a colletor's item. It has a nice tone as does the Dobro I bought new in 1971, that was made by the Dopyeras.

But I must admit, nothing approaches the sound quality and volume of my 7-string ShoBud that Shot made. George Edwards told me that Shot only made 6 under that brand name (the rest were ShoBros). Mine is a little different in that it has a smaller body than the others (but still larger than a Dobro) and an arched back. It was made for Ray Pillow's Uncle, Lloyd Pillow and I was able to get it when Lloyd passsd. I guess I'm crazy to use it on jobs all the time but my band leader likes the tone also. (Gotta keep the boss happy).

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 9:35 am    

Guys,
I really appreciate all the info you've given me on these instruments. Thanks.

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 10:49 am    

i'd say there are lots of ways of looking at what's good or bad......one way is what can you get for how much.....i picked up a standard model 60N squareneck dobro '75 that some surfer had stripped the thick clear plasticky finish off...thus doing me a favor.
i paid $200 dollars for it years ago and it sounds wonderful to me!