The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Steel Player
TommyDono

Farmingdale,NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2000 8:00 pm    

Hi there. I am REALLY new to the lap steel scene. I live in NY and kind of stumbled across a Melobar Lapsteel. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to start? I am a musical hack (play alot of instruments, but not great on any of them), so I have a slight understanding about how it all works. Also, I was wondering how I can obtain some info on my Lap Steel. I sent email to Melobar, but they haven't responded. How do I find out what I really have? THANKS!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 10:01 am    

I recommend the Mel Bay book for the C6th tuning, by DeWitt Scott.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap

Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 10:48 am    

I found the Mel Bay really helpful. Also, the Cindy Cashdollar video on Homespun (they're out of Woodstock) was a big help.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 11:11 am    

Hi, Tommy, welcome to Lapland...you're probably about to get addicted... The guys at Melobar are probably slammed about now, I'm sure you'll hear back soon, they're really great over there. I'm a Melobar dealer, have several of their guitars- I may be able to help you with any questions, and I can definitely help you get started on tunings, lesson materials, etc. Just give me a shout at flyingmonkey@mindspring.com
I frequently run into folks at our live shows that want to get started on steel, and I've tried to help out as much as possible. If you don't hear back right away, it's because we're on the road. But I'll get back as soon as possible. Good luck!

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Mullen D-10, Fender Triple 8, Dobro

TommyDono

Farmingdale,NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2000 9:49 pm    

Guys,

Thanks for the responses so far. I take it that the standard tuning for Lap steel is C6 and not G, as in the Dobro? I guess I have a whole lot to learn huh? That's OK, just the way I like it!

Tom (the new lapper!)

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2000 3:34 pm    

Hi Tommy,

I'm not sure how we missed you. The only thing I can think of is that we don't open any emails without a subject on it. We get so many emails from all over that we have been really hurt a couple of times by viruses. Happy 99 cost me a hard drive. So anyone out there that we may not have responded to, that's probably the case.

On some help here getting started, we have some materials available through our Store Icon, all the books and videos mentioned above and I have a half dozen new books about to be put on the site. The best thing to do is decide what kind of music you want to play and start off with teachers that are more tuned to that area.

If the guitar was new, there should have been a cassette and 8 page "jump start" instructions with the Melobar. We can still send that to you, just let me know.

Ted

TommyDono

Farmingdale,NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 5:33 am    

Ted,

Thanks. I didn't mean that statement to sound like it did (at least how it sounded after I read it a second time). I realize you guys are probably pretty busy. I bought the Lap Steel, and it came with nothing, but don't forget I am up in NY and they probably didn't know what it was. I was new, but sat around for a long time. Oh well. Mark Van Allen said that it sounds like a "Rattler", 6str, Burgundy, metal fret plate, non Steinberger head. What info can you tell me?
Thanks
Tom

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2000 7:02 am    

Mark is probably right about the model there. Go to our site and look at the Products listed and compare it. Then send us an email at the site with "jump start" in the subject box. We'll send you the cassette free and that will give you a taste of different instructors like Cindy Cashdollar, she's on it, and Jeff Newman with Jeffran Steel guitar college, he doesn't have a lap steel tape out but does teach steel in general.
That should give you some ideas on what direction you want to go.

Ted

Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 4:04 am    

As a fairly new lap-steel player myself (just over a year), I looked into various tunings and decided that C6 is the one - Low to high CEGACE - then when some of you guys suggested I move up to an 8-string, I added an A underneath and a D on top. I found that whenever I was playing tunes or licks on the top strings, the missing note was there, under the bar, on the top string! Try it!

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 8:02 am    

Tony,

Soooooooooo correct. Also, try this:

Make that bottom C a C# for a while and once you get use to it, you will have one more little trick. Ya "cain't" use it all the time, but some tunes like JB's "Cocoanut Grove" just gotta have that dominant 7th two frets back from the tonic chord. Careful not to pick that top C with it however.

Incidently here is JB's tuning on his 7 string Rick that he recorded 100's of tunes on:

E
C
A
G
E
C#
C

Don't strum strings 6 and 7! ouch! But once gotten use to, Jerry, Kayton Roberts and many others (including yours truly) could never be without that C AND the C#.

god bless,

carl