The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions on Dobro instructional videos?
Gary Geers

Berthoud, CO
Post  Posted 30 Nov 1999 6:32 am    

Anyone used Mike Auldridge's videos? I'm wondering how effective these would be for instruction since they are not supplied with any Tab documentation. Any other video suggestions? (At this point I'm in between beginner and intermediate playing level.)

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2000 6:18 am    

Gary,
I've not used the videos you mentioned but would suggest looking into the 2 video set by Stacy Phillips titled "Dobro Repertoire and Technique". Each video is 75 min. long with lots of good stuff to work on (and tab booklets are included). Each is $30 or both for $50. Stacy also has a great 6 audio cassette series for Dobro. These courses are put out by Homespun Tapes. Their website is: www.homespuntapes.com They also have video courses by Jerry Douglas and Cindy Cashdollar for Dobro. Good luck

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2000 8:25 am    

I think the best "next step" instructions for Resonator are David Hamburger's Dobro Workbook and LeRoy Mack's Houndog ramble.

Both have excellent tablature and a CD to work with that makes all the differance, and both have that fast almost banjo pace that takes it a step beyond.

I think when looking for the best teacher, you need to look for someone who isn't necessarly the most fantastic and possibly so caught up in being the best that they can't slow down and take the time to be patient and make sure you understand. I've taken lessons from both of these guys in person, and they are just really nice people who show no ego and a sincere desire to help you learn, and I believe that really came across in their teaching material.

Ted

Murray Cullen

Irvine, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2000 5:59 pm    

Cindy Cashdollar has a neat one. Unlike her steel guitar videos, she is a natural on Dobro.

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2000 10:48 am    

I have used the Cindy Cashdollar and Jerry Douglas videos from Homespun.
They got me started and kept me interested too.

I am traying hard with Leroy Macks tape and tablature at the moment.
I have difficulty in reading tab and always need to hear the tune too. However I am progressing from Catwail to almost a tune at times.

Good luck

Bill