The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster Info
Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 1999 10:21 pm    

Hi. I'm thinking about getting a stringmaster (if I can find one) and I've been looking for info on them. I've looked online and at the library but I haven't really found out a lot. I'd like to be a bit informed when I buy one. What should I be looking out for? I know there are several different string leanths - any preferance? Are some years better than others (I'm pretty sure I want an earlier one, not a 70s one - or was it just the single necks they made in the 70s?). Any other pointers would be appriciated.

I've been playing lap steel about a year and a half. Have played around with it (and Dobro) for years but just recently got serious. Been playing guitar for 29 years. I have a Rick D8 that someone cut in half with a band saw. Plays and sounds pretty good but I've noticed a lot of the players I like seem to use the Stringmaster.

Thanks

[This message was edited by Rich Young on 12-14-99]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 6:43 am    

Rich,
I found a 57 D8 Stringmaster with a 22" scale on the forum a month or so ago and I am in heaven. Its true what they say about those 57-58 stringmasters ! Unbelievable sound !
When you spot the stringmaster you want don't be a bottom fisher and lose out trying to save $50.

Bob

Doc Isaac

Kaneohe,Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 8:15 am    

Aloha Rich, I have two Stringmasters. Since I gig regularly, I am maintaining one as a backup instrument. I think that what you get with the Stringmasters is a timeless, ergonomically correct design and a guitar whose sound likewise is appropriate for many types of music. I have played a number of other modern instruments and have to say that there are many excellent ones being made today. If you are considering a Stringmaster, naturally you will have to remember that some of these instruments are approaching 45 years old or more. I've noticed a tendency for certain electronic components to degrade in humid environments(especially here in Hawaii), particularly the pots. Be sure you've got a good electric guitarsmith available. The Stringmasters came in 22/24/26 inch scales. The Hawaiian players over here seem to prefer the 24 inch scale for its tone and sustain. The 26 inch scale has great tone but working slants at the lower frets is more difficult. Bob is right when he says that the Stringmasters are tending to command a higher price these days. Good luck in your search. Isaac

Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 1999 9:46 pm    

Bob, do you prefer the 22 over the 24" scale? The rick I have is a 22 and it seems like longer would make bar slants harder down low but give a little more room on top for better intonation.
I'm playing mostly swing and trad country on it right now. Did a couple of gigs with a honky tonk/rockabilly band here in town and it was a blast. But I noticed I've been having problems with the intonation higher. Of course it could have been those free beers!

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 8:41 pm    

Rich, surprised you haven't heard from the Fender Custom and Dual professional afficiandos... those guitars have the clamshell or over the strings type pickups and a nice fat sound. I have several of each, they're all slightly different but all sound great, really warm and fat. 22 1/2 inch scales, which do seem to help with the low end slants. I haven't noticed any real problem with high end intonation, and have no trouble switching back to my Mullen D10 on the bandstand. It's really quite a bit of fun to have several different sounds and feels available. Let me know if you might think about a Custom- I think I'll hang onto my double neck but have three triples and could certainly let one go-good luck, Mark

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Mullen D-10, Fender Triple 8, Dobro

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 10:57 pm    

Aloha Rich,
My stringmaster is short scale...and I prefer it for Hawaiian Music...But if I was playing swing/Honky Tonk/rockabilly...I would look for a 24.5...they seem to have a slightly better tone in the most common key positions of those styles of music....and if you use a pedal steel bar, low reg. slants are not a problem...just my 2 cents,
good luck and aloha,
Mike

[This message was edited by mikey on 12-16-99]

Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 1999 10:36 pm    

Thanks for info. I played a pro recently, very nice but I have the same problem with the pu that I have with the Rick. It gets in the way of palm blocking for me. Thought I wouldn't mind taking another crack at it. I may go up this week and see if it's still there. It was a short scale, did they also come in other lengths?
I was in LA the other day and they have a D8 in one of those vintage stores on Sunset. It's definatly the sound I'm looking for. He was asking $995 for it, so I passed, but it convinced me this is the one I want.
If anyone knows any books or web site with more info let me know.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 22 Dec 1999 6:55 pm    

"The Sound Heard 'Round The World" is an excellent book.It's a biography of Leo Fender and a history of his company in detail.There is a treasure of information and photographs of Fender Steel Guitars,from the earliest models to the last models of steels that Fender made.I can read this book without ever getting tired of it.Garfish Publishing,written by Richard R. Smith,available at Barnes and Noble.I highly recommed it,or was I high when I recommended it? No matter,you can't go wrong.

------------------

Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 1999 11:34 am    

Thanks, I'll check it out. Getting info on the stringmaster has turned out to be difficult. Finding info on vintage strats was easy by comparision!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 1999 8:33 am    

Fender reissued the D-8 Stringmaster recently. I don't know how many were made, or where they are available, but I assume you can find out from the company.

If their recent 6 string guitars are any indication, chances are thiese newer guitars are every bit as good as the older ones.

Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 1999 3:07 pm    

I had heard they were making them in Japan but I couldn't find any info on them. I'll try emailing fender and see what they say. Has anyone ever seen/played one?

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 1999 4:00 pm    

From what I've been able to determine, the reissue Stringmasters were available through Fender Japan but are now sold out.
Someone on this forum (John Tipka?) reported that the workmanship on the reissue guitars was not as good as on the original guitars, but I hear that about every Fender ever made.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

John Tipka

Reynoldsburg,OH
Post  Posted 27 Dec 1999 1:43 pm    

Brad,
It wasn't me who made the comment on the workmanship. Just the opposite, they look and sound very good. Akira Ouichi, a member of Kiyoshi "Lion" Kobayashi's group, played a D-8 Reissue at the HSGA Convention in May 1999. It sounded good and looked like the familiar Stringmaster. He told me the cost was about $1700US. (If prices of Stringmasters keep going the way they are, especially if the supply peters out, the original D-8's will cost that much in the U.S. used and vintage market.) Fender Japan made a limited run of them and sold them all and are now out of production, as I understand .

John
http://www.iwaynet.net/~steelgtr

Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 28 Dec 1999 12:15 pm    

When is melobar going to have their double 8 ready and whats it going to go for?