The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best Vintage Hawaiian Steel Deal
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 8 Dec 1999 7:05 pm    

The Gibson BR-9 with a P-90 pickup can still be bought for under $300.00.The sound is pure Gibson at a value.They have started to go up.I bet you will see the BR-9 at around $400.00 this time next year.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 9:06 am    

There's a reason why you see so many BR-9 lap steels out there. They're just about the most common lap steel available. According to Gibson's records, they made something like 15,000 of them between 1947 and 1959.

I owned one a while back and didn't regret selling it at all. I didn't find the sound to be that attractive to me. I'd much rather have one of the EH series Gibson lap steels; to me they have a much better sound.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 11:39 am    

I agree Brad... A while ago I got all excited because a friend found a BR9 in his attic and called to see if I wanted to borrow it, check it out. I had never played one nor heard one to my knowledge and i had high hopes that it would sound similar to and EH-100 that i had played and was drooling over. Well...it didn't have the tone I expected. I worked with it for a while, then decided to give ti back 'cause I wasn't getting anywhere with it tone-wise. I'm not surprised they turn over quickly on the market, based on my experience.

Cat

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 9 Dec 1999 3:16 pm    

To return to a subject that's been covered here recently, the BR9 will sound significantly better if you by-pass the pots: more high-end, and generally a punchier, brighter sound. As for what are the best sounding Gibsons, EH-150s are beautiful instruments, although some seem to sound significantly better than others. I had a six-string version that sounded good, but not overwhelming; the seven-string I have now I like as much as any lap steel I've owned. The other Gibsons really worth seeking out are those with Firebird-style mini-humbuckers - later Centurys and Ultratones. These are GREAT sounding guitars.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 8:43 am    

The BR-9 was a top seller for Gibson selling 15,000 in 12 years.That is why there are so many of these fine guitars still around.I played one last night with that classic P-90 pickup and it really could cry.The one I played was pre 1950.

------------------

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 8:44 am    

The BR-9 was a top seller for Gibson selling 15,000 in 12 years.That is why there are so many of these fine guitars still around.I played one last night with that classic P-90 pickup and it really could cry.The one I played was pre 1950.

------------------

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 9:30 am    

I just got a 1946 Gibson BR-4. Mahogony body, sunburst finish, binding on top and back, Big P-90 style pickup. The sound is great! Very mellow and fat. I like the tone. It does not have the Fender 'bite' but I feel it fits in well with my style (Western Swingy, Hawaii-ish, etc.)

I also like the Gibson string spacing. It's a bit wider than Fender, making slants a breeze.

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 12-10-99]

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 9:57 am    

Gerald,
Sounds like a great guitar.The P-90 is great for lap steel.I can see why so many people are buying the Semore Duncan P-90s.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 Dec 1999 10:05 am    

Gerald,
People are starting to see the light on the student Gibsons like they did on the Fenders.I love that Gibson fat sound.I have a Chandler steel that has a P-90 style pickup but it does not sound as good as the BR-9.The Chandler cost over $500.00.The BR-9 and BR-6 are classics.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 11 Dec 1999 8:44 pm    

Andy, get off the fence will ya, do you like the Gibsons or not? )

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 13 Dec 1999 4:56 am    

Mike, your right I need to get off the fence.I love the Gibsons.

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 18 Dec 1999 7:58 pm    

Maybe you guys can help me date the 6-string Gibson lap steel I recently bought. It has a sunburst mahogany body, tall clear speed knobs, and a round neck, although it would be much too large to play spanish style. The pickup is the same construction and materials as a P-90 except it has non-adjustable pole pieces like a Fender single coil and the ends of the bobbins are rounded rather than squared off. This thing sounds incredible for rock-style stuff (a la David Lindley) and even sounds OK for something like Sleepwalk. It has what looks like a miniature '50s Les Paul case. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

John Borchard

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 18 Dec 1999 8:40 pm    

John: You don't describe the pickup cover on the guitar. If it's plain gold, it's a model BR6; if it has a curlicue design it's a BR4. In either case, the non-adjustable pole pieces mean it's from approximately 1946-1950.. A very fine instrument.

Dean Forshee

Benicia, California
Post  Posted 20 Dec 1999 1:07 am    

I own a BR-9 and really like it. Great tone and as has been mentioned, the spacing of the strings is great for slants. My recollection of the production years seems to be at odds with previous posts here. When I went to the Gibson web site (maybe I should go back and double check) they claimed that the BR-9 was only made in '51 and '55.