The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Msa Pedal Steel
Bobby Stalnaker

CHARLOTTE , NC USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 4:04 pm    

Anyone played a new MSA PEDAL STEEL , IF SO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT . I'M LOOKING TO BUY A NEW PSG AND WOULD LIKE SOME INFORMATION.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 5:36 pm    

Yep, I've played one, I have a Millennium, a Legend, a Studio Pro, and a Superslide, plus some older one's, and they are all great guitars. Reece says I own the MSA Museum LOL. I have a few other brands too and they are all good guitars, but the MSA goes just a little farther. They have several features not available on other guitars, and the people at MSA are great to deal with. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Bobby Stalnaker

CHARLOTTE , NC USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 5:49 pm    

Thanks Darvin... I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT.

BOB

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 6:34 pm    

Bobby, lot's of really nice guitars out there including the Mullen G2, Zum, Excel... look over as many as you can.

Here's a link to my MSA page which has tons of pictures and lists of many of the unique features of this guitar. At the top left of the page, there are more links to more info. Additionally, all of my 500+ tabs and songs are recorded on the MSA with various amps.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Msa/msa.html

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 9:07 pm    

I love my 1976 MSA, and I've just ordered a new Studio Pro, U-12, Bb6. I'm a believer.

Andy Zahnd

Switzerland
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 9:33 pm    

Very Happy Very Happy I owne a MSA Millenium M3, the carbon guitar and that's a winner! Great sound, stays in tune, easy to play, no stringbreak, lightweight and top quality..... and the right sounding color: black! What do you want more?
Every MSA product is just top! hard to beat!

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 12:49 am    

Hi Bobby, I bought an old 12 string MSA, it had not been looked after very well. but on playing it I was blown away with the sound. So now I have sent it to Bob Adams in Scotland to have the underside refitted.
I would recommend the MSA as a pro guitar...

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 1:30 am    

I have 2 Millennium 3 U-12s. Amazingly, I found one of them on E-Bay.

They are great guitars. And as Darvin says, they have some features not found on other guitars. The most notable is the modular pickup system that lets you try out a variety of different pickups and see which one you prefer, or have several for different sounds.

They also feature a 4 raise 3 lower changer and tunable splits on every string.

Another great feature is the easily adjustable height of the pedals and angles of the knee levers. The day my first one arrived, it took me less than 5 minutes to set up it up the way I like it.

And they are LIGHT. The carbon fiber weighs less than wood. They are the lightest guitars on the market. My back thanks me every time I pick one up.

Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 1:50 am     73 Msa

I had a 73 D12 MSA, that I found to be better than most "other brands" new ones.
sorry I had to let it go..
Rick

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 2:54 am    

Mike P

Your wrist lever looks pleased to see you! Laughing

Lovely looking guitar by the way.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 6:02 am    

Another extremely happy MSA M3 owner here!! I will just echo what everyone else has said here.

Just to add one thing.... if I could play as well as this guitar was designed and built....I would be one awesome player!

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 6:32 am    

I don't own a MSA pedal steel. But I was given the opportunity to "kick the tires" on Maurice's 3 years ago, and it sounded marvelous and plaid like butter (Millennium). Excellent engineering!

I owned a S12 SuperSlide, and as some may know, I owned may non-pedal steels of all vintages and brands, but the MSA was by far the highest quality build and best engineered non-pedal steel I have ever held in my hands. An all around professionally made instrument.

I doubt there would be more complete and better quality built PSG around currently.

... J-D.
... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Bobby Stalnaker

CHARLOTTE , NC USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 9:13 am    

Thanks to everyone for your input about the MSA and also other makes of guitars.

A LOT OF GOOD FOLKS OUT THERE.....THANK YOU

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 10:05 am     I have 2 comments

1: Reece and Kyle deserve much praise and credit for bringing the company back to life and designing and building such great guitars. But the unsung hero, person who actually puts them all together is Johnny Cox. Reece and Kyle are run the company, but Johnny is the man who puts all the TLC into each guitar and makes sure it's absolutely perfect before it leaves the factory. So, forgive me for "shouting," but THANK YOU JOHNNY COX!!!. Everybody who plays a new MSA should be grateful to you.

2: The older MSA are also great guitars. I still have the green one shown in my avatar. But they are completely different from the new ones. The old Classic series (like my green one) have a double raise double lower changer. The Vintage XL and "The Universal" had a triple raise triple lower changer, but neither have tunable splits. They don't have the adjustable pedals and knee levers, or the modular pickups, or the #-D fretboard.

I really like the 3-D fretboard. There's something very satisfying about it. It's a subtle thing you don't notice, till you go back to a 2-D fretboard see the difference.

The undercarriage is completely different. BTW for those who don't know, the old MSAs were all built by Bud Carter, who worked for MSA (and later for MCI) before he started his own company.

Here's a picture of the one I found on E-bay. This is the picture that was on E-bay. After I got it I had my setup (including the wrist lever) installed. and put a decal on it to decorate it because I thought it looked too plain.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 4:59 pm    

It's a pity MSA don't make the Millenium available as an S10 on a single frame . I can't understand the concept of an S10 on a double frame .I can see from the makers side that he only needs one set of endplates but from the owners veiw do you really think an S10 sounds better on a double frame than it does on a single frame ?

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 5:57 pm    

Perhaps a Millenium on a single frame would be so light it would need tie downs?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2010 6:43 pm    

Brendan Mitchell wrote:
It's a pity MSA don't make the Millenium available as an S10 on a single frame.

They do.

http://www.msapedalsteels.com/html/s10.html

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 10:50 am    

Mike is correct, you can have an S-10 Millennium or Legend. If you want a Millennium you best order now. There are only a couple bodiies left and there will be no more.

Mike, thanks for all you kind words of praise but MSA is a team effort that consist of about 10 people all experts in their jobs. I'm just the guy that puts all the parts together.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 11:36 am    

What does the wrist lever do?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 11:49 am    

Tim Heidner wrote:

Tim, it drops my 5th string from B to Bb. Most guys have this on a knee lever. I'd prefer it there, but I already have 6, and ran out of them.

Also, this change us useful on both the E9 and B6 sides of the tuning. By putting it on the wrist, I can access it no matter what my feet are doing.

I was skeptical about this, till I tried one, and liked it. I showed it to Blackie Taylor, who was also skeptical, till he tried mine, and then he got one for himself.

It takes some getting used to, and you can't chime while your using it, but basically it's pretty cool.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 11:51 am    

Johnny Cox wrote:
If you want a Millennium you best order now. There are only a couple bodies left and there will be no more.

OH??????????

Will you still be making legends and Studio Pros? Will there be anything new to replace the Millys?

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 11:59 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Tim Heidner wrote:

Tim, it drops my 5th string from B to Bb. Most guys have this on a knee lever. I'd prefer it there, but I already have 6, and ran out of them.

OK, that seems pretty neat, what do you have your vertical knee lever set up to do, Mike?

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 12:10 pm    

Johnny Cox wrote:
If you want a Millennium you best order now. There are only a couple bodiies left and there will be no more.

If that is the case - watch the price of second hand Millies go up.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 12:34 pm    

I take that as there are only a couple Millenium S-10 bodies left, not that the entire line is being discontinued.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 1:13 pm    

Probably the last guitar I'll ever buy....

Arch.