The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Information Needed
Jerry Maranville

Matheson, CO USA - deceased
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 6:58 am    

I have a Jerry Byrd frypan 8 string lap steel in absolutely mint condition, both case and guitar. It looks like burnished stainless steel finish and has 110 stamped on the end of the headstock. I just bought it at an out of the way music store and would like to know more about it if someone knows including perhaps the value of such an instrument. I have never seen one like it before, especially in as good of shape as this one. I though frypans only came in 6 string but apparently not. Any help on this one? Jerry Maranville.

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 9:15 am    

J.M., something like that is usually worth about $10.00, but I'd give you $12.50 for it if it's in as good shape as you say.

Some people have all the luck. Enjoy !

Jim

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 1:48 pm    

Check this out, Jerry. I expect that this is your guitar, an Excel. I have heard great things about them. I believe that Scotty is a dealer for Excel and perhaps you can get pricing info there.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/lightsound/images/http://www.fuzzypsg.com/4e.html>FRYPAN

Jerry Maranville

Matheson, CO USA - deceased
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 2:51 pm    

I had some help through e-mail on this as well as the appreciated responses on the forum. From the serial number,indeed it is an Excel. I played it a little and my goodness, I couldn't believe the deep, rich, full sound coming out. I was wrong about the body. Apparently it is a burnished aluminum alloy. The instrument is heavy for it's size though. I was a little worried that I had paid too much as I laid out a little more than $10 (just ribbing). I think it may be a keeper. Thanks again for the repys. Jerry.