The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar question?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 4 Nov 1999 6:14 am    

I use my 12 string BJS 7/8 bar on my Sierra 8 string lap steel! It feels comfortable on the lap steel as I use this bar on my pedal steel. Does anybody that plays pedal steel use the same bar on lap steel or should I try different bars? I think it sounds good and I am able to manipulate the bar effectively! If it aint broke I don't want to fix it? Any comments?

[This message was edited by Len Amaral on 11-04-99]

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 4 Nov 1999 8:17 am    

I don't play pedal steel, but I use a 7/8" 3.25" Bar on 6 and 8 string lap...can't stand the smaller bars...won't make the longer slants , and believe me, I've tried em all. Use what feels best to YOU!!!!
Aloha,
Mike

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 1999 8:40 am    

To me, the choice is based on what will make those bar nose slants work. For example:
E_____________________

C__________7__________
A__________7__________
G_____________________
E__________6__________
C_____________________
C7
I do this sort of thing a lot. On my Stringmaster, I use a 10 string BJS bar, but the string spacing is so much wider on the Sierra that I had to switch to the larger diameter 12 string bar. With the smaller diameter bar, the nose wasn't catching both strings at the same fret.

------------------
Bobby Lee www.b0b.com/products
Sierra S-12 E9th 5p+6k, Fender Stringmaster D-8, Sierra S-8 Lap

Troy Cody

MEMPHIS, TN USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 1999 8:23 pm    

I agree with Mike. Use what is comfortable
I also play a D8 stringmaster the same as
Bobby The bar that I like is a Twister
3/4 inch x 3 1/4 . On pedal steel I like a 7/8 but sometimes with the arthritis in my hands I use either the 7/8 or a Stevens but it is just a matter of personal choice there is no law.

Troy

------------------

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 5 Nov 1999 4:54 am    

I had been using a Schubb-Pierce bar for a number of years when playing my 6-string lap steel. I kept using it for a while even when I got into pedal steel and began using a standard 7/8", 10-string BJS bar for PSG. Within the past couple of months I've gone to using the BJS bar when playing the 6-string lap for precisely the same reasons relating to bar slants and the size of the bar nose. I'll soon have a D8 nonpedal guitar and will continue using the same BJS bar unless the string spacing is so different that I need something longer or wider.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 5 Nov 1999 6:16 am    

Thanks guys!
I feel alot better now!

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 1999 1:44 pm    

Hmmm. I just went the opposite way. I had difficulty popping a reverse slant quickly, especially from a forward slant position.

So, I recently went to the BJS 3/4 x 2 7/8 and found its size worked very well for me. No trouble with the "bent-bar" slants on a Stringmaster.

The bullet end on the BJS is not a perfect hemisphere, rather a "rounded conical" is the best description I can come up with. So it gives one a bigger radius on the nose to work with, an interesting approach.