The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Student models
MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 1999 6:59 am    

This may sound odd because I know as a Manufacturer you're supposed to be aloof or something, but I just don't agree with that. I have a decision to make and I believe you the players should be a part of it.
We probably produce the most lap steels in the country and we have over 20 models now of customs to student models.
Our custom Steels are what Melobar has been known for over the past 30 years. And for a long time we only built guitars for people like David Lindley and Ron Woods.
But in the past 4 years we have been producing 2 entry level guitars called the Rattler and the Tomahawk, with instruction materials included to help more people get into lap steel. Unfortunately Pros get a hold of our student models and judge us by them. We use the best wood we can, Grover keys and the best componants possible but we are limited in the pickup and finish department. The cost of finish materials has gone through the roof in the U.S., so for a less expensive unit we have to use oils without clear coats. Our custom units have very expensive urethane and hand sanded Laquer finishes. However, again, often people walk into a store, see a flat satin finish and presume that is all you make. Pick ups on the 8 string models are very limited. The only inexpensive version is the Lip Stick tube at about 62mm in magnet. So you either crowd the string spacing or let the bass string be weak. For a student the wider string spacing is important so there is the trade off. Now I have Andy Alford, who is definitly a professional, complaining of not enough bass string on this student model. It puts me in a very hard situation. I am very tempted to not offer any dealer entry level models because of this. But that stops a lot of people from maybe ever getting into lap steel. However Melobar has a very good name that I don't want to hurt. At the risk of putting my heart on my sleeve here, what do you guys think should be the direction for Melobar from here?
ted@melobar.com
800-942-6509

[This message was edited by MELOBAR GUITARS INC on 10-29-99]

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 1999 7:45 am    

Ted-

Of course Leo and company went to great lengths to remove any stigma from their student models by using names like "Champion" and "Princeton."

I hope the web will in some way solve your problem in that people can go right to the source (your site) and read what you have to say about your products.

BTW, I'm at least a "semi-pro" and I find it hard to think of the Tele Ratt neck of my new D6 as being entry level. It sounds and plays great.

As far as 8 string PUs... I hate lipsticks with a passion anyway. I don't know anyone, outside of Jerry Jones, who can make them sound decent. So if wimpy bass is the worst someone can say about them, you're probably not doing too badly.

Don't get too discouraged. You make fine products and most folks know it.

Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 29 Oct 1999 1:33 pm    

As a professional level guitarist, I *prefer* a light satin finish on my insturments. Lets the wood "breathe". And if the wood is nice looking, so much the better. Like the Gibson Smart Wood Les Pauls.

On a lap, if it's six strings, all that matters is the wood and hardware: one or two piece bodies made with high quality tone woods, good tuners, well cut nuts, and standard strat bridges. The pickups can and should be upgradeable with standard guitar parts. A universal rout underneath a pickguard is the way to go for maximum pickup flexiblity (i.e. the strat, tele, les paul pickup options).

The moment you start looking at 8-strings, though, you stop looking at any sort of a beginners instrument and are looking at a more professional investment. Mainly in the area of pickups but also in the matter of bridge hardware. Any pickup that involves dropout on any of the strings is not acceptable in any level of insturment.

My suggestions would be that you, being a manufacturer, might want to look into making your own eight-string pickups for "student" models, and keeping the Lawrence and Duncan pickups for "professional" models. Also, making a pickguard with a universal rout beneath so that pickup upgrades can be performed painlessly would allow someone to buy a "student" model and later upgrade to a "pro" model if desired.

Start with a high quality platform (wood), then allow modular upgrades (pickups, tuners and special bridges). Offer higher grade finishes for what they cost. Clearly label models with less expensive components and finishes as student models, but make sure they can hold their own sonically.

My $.02

Jim Mathis

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 1999 2:01 pm    

How about a unique name for the student models. For example: Gibson/Epiphone, Martin/Sigma, Cadillac/Chevrolet, Lexus/Toyota. That might reduce confusion. Just make each model as good as possible for the targeted price.

Of course same manufactures make a large range of products without confusion. I am also a photographer and Canon and Nikon both make camera from $100 to $5,000 and no one confuses a $100 camera with a $1,000 camera even though they are both Canon's.

This is a basic marketing question.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 29 Oct 1999 7:42 pm    

Create another name for student models...BarMel or something...only make one 6 string short scale model...I agree student models should be 6's save 8's for more options...could always use EMG pickups or start, if you don't already, wind your own pickups w/ a blade for magnet instead of pole pieces...cheaper & eaisier to make 'em wider that way, like an old CC Gibson pickup...just a thought, good luck,
Mike

MELOBAR GUITARS INC

Sweet, ID USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 1999 7:16 am    

I really appreciate the responses and above thoughts and the phone conversations yesterday. I prefer to be building, rather than trying to figure out this marketing.

One definite conclusion is the thought expressed above, and by quite a few of you, in that once a player is looking toward 8 string, they really aren't a novice beginner.

The current Tomahawk lip stick tube model is going to be discontinued. I never liked anything about that lip stick tube pickup. Elderly will be the last carrier phasing that model out with tighter string spacing. It will be replaced with a Deluxe Tomahawk with the Single coil Duncan Stringmaster pickup, a full 6mm wider with a great sound.
Our guitars are all routed to take retro-fit pickups already. Anyone wanting to update thier existing Tomahawk, we will split the pickup cost and charge $38.50 for the new pickup. We will cover the cost of the new bridge and mounting free of charge. This will make the Tomahawk a very nice short scale 8.
Only the 6 string Rattler will be available through dealers, everything else will be direct.

It's hard to make a decision like that. It cost the company about 30 sales and will make a couple of distributors angry. But having the players be a part of the decision really helped.

Thank you

Ted

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 1999 8:47 am    

I think that if you want to make a real student model, it should carry a different brand name. That way you won't dilute the value of the Melobar name with cheaper products.

Just my opinion...

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 1999 9:17 am    

The Deluxe Tomahawk... sounds like it is going to be one HOT guitar...

all the best

Mike

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Oct 1999 9:23 am    

Just a thought--

How often have you gone into a store or showroom and seen product lines ranging from entry level thru intermediate to pro (or cheap, moderate and expensive) but when you ask the question "what do I get for the cheap model, what more do I get if I spend more $$ etc...you just can't get a good straight informed answer?
I think there is much value in an informed salesman who knows exactly what the specs and features are and can help you make that decision.
There's no shame in saying that this is our student model, it won't give you the stage sound of a pro model but it is a great guitar to learn on. Here are the limitations. Here are the benefits. Now what are YOUR needs?

$.03

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 31 Oct 1999 5:32 am    

In the past month both at gigs and out of the blue in email, I have had 3 people ask me about getting started learning steel. I am convinced (based mostly on my own experience) that picking up a 6-string lap steel, learning the basic picking, blocking, and bar techniques, and messing around with lots of different tunings is the way to go for a beginner. I've always counseled my guitar students and their parents (!) that learning is facilitated by getting a good quality instrument that stays in tune, is durable, and has resale value. I'll be stearing folks who ask me about learning steel toward the Melobar instruments. The fact that you've been up front and solicited our opinions in helping make some important business decisions speaks loudly to me. Thanks for asking, Ted.

Cat

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 1999 10:00 am    

Ted,

I purchased one of the 6-string Rattler's with the Kent Armstrong humbucking pickup from you and it sounds really good (just wish the tone control had more of an effect). Sound and playing-wise it is much better than the term "student" model would imply, and its sound does not compare unfavorably with my Stringmaster.

Regards,

-Bill

Gary Geers

Berthoud, CO
Post  Posted 3 Nov 1999 8:52 am    

Re: Above post; FYI: Take a look at Melobar's line of lap steels. They are what you call "fiddle" shaped, and look, play & sound great (I own a CC8 and a Rattler). Ted does a terrific job with these, and bang-for-the-buck quotient is quite high.
By the way, anyone looking for a real nice lap steel gig bag, check out the one made by Martin for its Backpacker guitar - for $20, can't be beat. -gg