The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Billy Poe
Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 9:26 am    

Pick It Bill !!!

Bill Poe is a great player !!!
Catch him on Sunday Mornings at Roberts Western World during one of the ministry services.

Great Guy, Awesome player !!! Tone to die for !!!

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2009 7:08 pm    

Tommy,

I remember Bill back in '99 while livin' down Gnash way. Indeed a great guy! Unless I'm mistaken, he used to pick for Charlie Pride before he hung it up to be a teacher. He is also the Dad of the very pretty bassist Michelle Poe.
I doubt he would remember me, but say hi when you see him again.

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 2:08 pm     Billy Poe

Hi Tommy. I met Billy back in the late 70's in the south Florida , specifically the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. Very nice guy and a fine steel player 30 years ago. We actually worked the same club in different rooms, Billy with a very good three piece group. I was in the main room with virtually a Waylon impersonator.The first set I played the guitar player leans over and tells me the impersonator doesn't like C6. I stuck it out a month and quit. Billy offered to help me find another gig in the area but my old band hired me back in Baton Rouge. I really appreciated his offer and it told me a lot about his character. When you see him tell him I said hello and wish him well.
thanks,
Billy Tam

Randal Smith

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 6:50 pm    

Bill and I have become pretty good friends over the last year or so. We've even managed to play together on a couple of occasions. He's had some health problems, but seems to be doing better (I hope!). He's not only a really good steeler, but he also plays good guitar and knows almost every classic country song ever written.

And to top it all off, he's a great guy.
Warmoth Custom Guitar
Gibson GA-20 Amp
"We have enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2009 9:38 pm    

Doug Jones wrote:
Tommy,

I remember Bill back in '99 while livin' down Gnash way. Indeed a great guy! Unless I'm mistaken, he used to pick for Charlie Pride before he hung it up to be a teacher. He is also the Dad of the very pretty bassist Michelle Poe.
I doubt he would remember me, but say hi when you see him again.

Doug, both Billy and Michelle are friends of mine. They came to hear me play steel at the NTSGA Superjam in 2006. Billy also played steel for Donna Fargo and Janie Fricke, in addition to playin' for Charley Pride.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Chuck Cusimano

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2009 12:45 pm    

I've never met Mr. Poe, but Years ago, I used to call him from Lubbock Texas when I needed A steel Player , and he'd hook me up with one or two. The guy must have known everybody that owned a steel! On one of the calls, back in 1975, I told him about a young Steel Player from Missouri named Bruce Brooks, and the next thing I knew I got a call from Bruce saying he had taken a job with Little Jimmy Dickins.
It's nice to know he's still around! Billy, if you read this, Thanks again for all the help!

Sincerely, Chuck Cusimano

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 7:27 pm    

I remember Billy from the '70's. He used to talk about Miami alot. Yeah Chuck, I was with Bruce with Tater and he knew Billy also. Billy auditioned for Hank Jr. then Jr. decided a nogo on that, wanted to be more Rock I believe.

David Griffin

Jimmy Creek,Arkansas via Cowtown, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 10:54 pm    

@Billy Tam: The Waylon impersonator wasn't Wendell Atkins was it? I worked for him in Texas a bit,then most of his band went to work for David Allan Coe & I split! Laughing (sorry,not meaning to hijack the thread)

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2010 3:42 am    

Yes David it was Wendell. Like a lot of us talent and demons in various proportions. He and I never connected on a musical level. I also worked as a member of Coe's band along with our drummer and fiddle player for one night. We decided after the gig it wasn't right for us.
thanks,
Billy

David Griffin

Jimmy Creek,Arkansas via Cowtown, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2010 11:16 am    

Billy: I later worked w/ Wendells' bass & harmonica players in Rob Dixons'(gtr & frontman for George Jones) band.Rob Landrum & Tim Harris respectively. Were these guys w/ Wendell when you worked w/ him? Sorry,Tommy,last post about this,OK? Mr. Green