The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster Scale?
Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 1999 5:54 am    

I have an old 1951 Fender Custom D-8 and will probably sell or trade it for a later model stringmaster. My question is which scale length will I like the best? I mix country & swing and my thoughts are that the longer scale will be what is best. I need your opinions on the pros & cons.
Thanx fellas

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Oct 1999 7:15 am    

According to a book about Fender guitars (I forget the author) the original SM was 26" (this is what I have, 1954) which was dropped in favor of the choice of 24" or 221/2". The book claims that of the three, Leo liked the sound of the 26" the best. It says that the change was because of string breakage and, as Pat says, the bar slant problem.
I'm not sure if the pickup blend control went on at the same time as the scale change but that original SM does not have it. Both on/both off (per each neck) is the option. Is this a case of older is not always better?
Sure would be nice to find the time to start playing it.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 10-24-99]

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 1999 6:09 pm    

I've owned both the 22 1/2" and 24 1/2" and have PLAYED Chas Smith's Quad 8 26" scale Stringmaster.In view of all the above mentioned trade-offs,I like the 24 1/2" scale.It's the best compromise-tone and sustain for days AND the bar slants aren't too bad.Plus,if you switch back and forth between PSG and non-pedal,the scale will probably be the same(depending on your PSG).If you can get one with the blend control,do it.That way,you can fine tune the blend between the two pickups and find that snappy,twangy-yet mellow "sweet spot".Pick a low string with the neck pickup all the way on and then as you pick,roll in the bridge pickup until the bass notes aquire a treble edge.If the high strings get too shrill,you've gone too far.Roll the blender back and forth until you zero in on THE tone.NOTHING sounds like a Stringmaster! -MJ-