The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MP3 Files and BIAB
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 1:09 pm    

I'm totally new and inexperienced with BIAB, so I'm not sure what I'm doing yet.

I began to look at the tutorials and it's going to make for a lot of reading. So, I'm resorting to asking a question here in hopes someone can help me out.

I have several nice backing tracks on MP3s that I'd like to change the key and/or tempo on. All I want to do with BIAB, at least for now, is take some of my MP3 backing tracks and change the key and tempo on them, then save them again either as an MP3 or WAV (so I can burn them onto a practice CD).

My question is ... can this be done in BIAB and, if so, can anyone give me a quick tip on how to do it?

Other question is ... if BIAB can't do this sort of thing, what software would I need to do it?

Thanks.
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 7:35 pm    

Hi Jim. I imported one of my rhythm tracks into BIAB and didn't have any luck changing the key like your tryin to do. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in here. I did find this program though that will do exactly what your wanting if BIAB won't do it. Click Here

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 7:49 pm    

Hi, Andy ... I checked out the web site. Thanks for providing that link. Unfortunately, the download menu states that the software works with Windows Vista and Windows 7, but not with Windows XP Pro (which is what I have). So, the search is continues. Thanks again, though. MP3 Keyshifter looks like an interesting program. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2010 8:06 am     Re: MP3 Files and BIAB

Jim Lindsey wrote:
I'm totally new and inexperienced with BIAB, so I'm not sure what I'm doing yet.

I began to look at the tutorials and it's going to make for a lot of reading. So, I'm resorting to asking a question here in hopes someone can help me out.

I have several nice backing tracks on MP3s that I'd like to change the key and/or tempo on. All I want to do with BIAB, at least for now, is take some of my MP3 backing tracks and change the key and tempo on them, then save them again either as an MP3 or WAV (so I can burn them onto a practice CD).

My question is ... can this be done in BIAB and, if so, can anyone give me a quick tip on how to do it?

Other question is ... if BIAB can't do this sort of thing, what software would I need to do it?

Thanks.

Hello Jim. Yes this can be done but it takes a few steps to get there.

First: Load the mp3/wav file into BIAB by starting a new session and choose FILE then OPEN AUDIO.

This will load your file into the "Audio Chord Wizard" which can do a lot of things with this file but its main purpose is to "read" the score and translate the music into a Chord Sheet.

For your purpose just save this file as it loads by choosing the "Send to BIAB" button. You now have the AUDIO inputed into BIAB.

Next go to the menu AUDIO then from the drop down choose AUDIO EDIT WINDOW. This will open up the Audio window that is used to make changes to the new audio file in BIAB. Toward the top you will see an area that has the Key Signature, then to the right a Tempo Number and to the right of that some more numbers. If you can't find it just slowly drap you mouse accross the items and a pop up window should say "tempo".

Go into the TEMPO Button and change the tempo to the tempo you want for practice.

Once the tempo is right we now have to get the key signature correct.

This time go to AUDIO Menu and choose PLUG IN. This will open up a long list of "tools" you can use to edit audio. The one you want is called "Pitch Shift".

Once you choose this a window will open that allows you to shift the audio file by semi-tones - two semitones is a whole step. + to go up, - to go down.

Save the file with a name (and to a place) you will remember.

To convert/create it back to an MP3 file do a File - SAVE AS and choose MP3.

That's it. Whewww!

I use a software package made by Cakewalk called SONAR. It's MUCH easier but also much more expensive than BIAB. Just google SONAR and I'm sure you will find it.

Everything I have discussed is from BIAB 2009. Earlier versions may not work the same.

Good luck - Bo Baker

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2010 12:20 pm    

Jim, I went back and double checked the program I linked to and it does in fact work with Windows XP. Here's the product description again.

"MP3 Keyshifter 2.0 is music composers software developed by Mp3 Keyshifter.
MP3 Keyshifter is a breakthrough piece of software that allows you to change the key of any audio track and save the modified song as an MP3 or WAV file. If you use backing tracks you can now change the key to suit your vocal range at the press of a button! The only way to be 100% sure that the key of a backing track is comfortably within your range is to sing along with it in real time.
This program is shareware, which means you can download and use MP3 Keyshifter 2.0 for free during 30-days trial period. After this period you gonna have to buy MP3 Keyshifter 2.0 software for $47.00 or uninstall the program. MP3 Keyshifter 2.0 supports different languages (including English). It works with Windows 98/XP/Vista.
We have tested MP3 Keyshifter 2.0 for spyware and adware modules. The software is absolutely safe to install.
We has completely tested music composers software MP3 Keyshifter 2.0 many times, written and published the interesting article and uploaded installation file (706K) to our fast server.
Downloading MP3 Keyshifter 2.0 will take several seconds if you use fast ADSL connection.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 5:33 pm    

Andy and Gary ...
Sorry to be so long responding to the thread here. Been really busy job hunting (and it isn't going well so far).

Thank you both for your input and instruction on BIAB. Right now this program seems to be a beast that makes me feel I need to be a rocket scientist to operate it. But, I think once I've studied it a bit and learned the ins and outs of it, it'll be much friendlier. Smile

Thanks again for your advice and help.

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 12:23 pm     BIAB Files

Jim, I have a large number of biab files (mostly older country songs) give me a couple or three songs you want to practice with and if I have them will send them on "biab format" and you can do what ever (change speed, key ect

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 2:47 pm    

Hi Ray,
Thank you so much. There are a few songs I wouldn't mind having to work with.

I've been wanting to do some videos because my email is getting kinda swamped with people asking me to do some more of them (gosh, I didn't realize when I posted a few videos that people would start wanting more). Shocked So, I've been at a loss as to what I want to play (I'm not really crazy about the idea of repeating the same tunes that seem to be pretty popular on YouTube).

Then a few days ago I was listening to an old Gary Hogue album, Night Train, and thought some of the songs on there would be fun to do.

I don't know if you might have any of these, but if you do and wouldn't mind sharing them, it'd be greatly appreciated. They are:

Maybe Your Baby's Got The Blues (Judds)
Crying (Roy Orbison)
Here Comes My Baby Back Again
Half A Man (Willie Nelson)

Again, thanks for the offer and any of these you might have would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 3:59 pm     biab songs

don't have maybe your baby's got the blues, have the other three, will need an email address.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 4:22 pm    

Thanks a million, Ray ... my email address is jim.lindsey54@yahoo.com Smile

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 4:38 pm     biab songs

you should have them, let me know if all is ok.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 4:44 pm    

Thanks, Ray ... Got them and I'll run 'em here in a few moments. Smile

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 5:16 pm     Help

Hi, Ray ... I'm a bit confused now ...
When I navigate to the songs and try to open them in BIAB, here's a screen shot of what I'm getting ...

It's happening on all three of them. If I click Play, it starts playing this "C" chord in various rhythm patterns. I'm getting this on all three songs.

I know this will prove how rank a beginner I am with BIAB, but am I doing something wrong, or is there some special way these have to be opened? Or, perhaps, is there some setting somewhere that needs to be enabled? I'm sort of lost here.

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 5:41 pm     BIAB Files

Jim, don't know whats wrong, they ck ok on my end, call me at 919-778-0868

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 6:19 pm     BIAB Files

Jim and I finely got it to work, sent the files under another email address and it worked, some possibility yahoo doesn't handle biab files to good.

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 7:31 am    

Jim, that's some great playing on your youtube videos. Really nice stuff.

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 1:34 pm    

Thanks, Robert. I appreciate that very much. Smile

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 3:33 pm     BIAB Files

You got it, anytime