The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What happened with the Penny Gilley show?
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 11:11 am    

I usually watch the Penney Gilley show as it comes on before Tru Country in my area. In the past few months she has changed steel players three times. Now she does not have one and she changed the tele player to someone else. Can some of you guys around Branson give an answer?

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 12:59 pm    

I've noticed the same thing. Also the the lighting isn't like it use to be. I think the whole show quality has went down. I guess the economy has hit everyone.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 1:12 pm    

Ya know,I don't think there's actually an audience either.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 1:39 pm    

The audience has always been a "canned audience". A recording of applause.
Tommy Shown

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 1:42 pm    

I won't watch The Penney Gilley show anymore. No steel guitar.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 4:39 pm     Re: What happened with the Penny Gilley show?

Harold Dye wrote:
I usually watch the Penney Gilley show as it comes on before Tru Country in my area. In the past few months she has changed steel players three times. Now she does not have one and she changed the tele player to someone else. Can some of you guys around Branson give an answer?

I will call Rick, her steel player when i see my son.He has his phone number and e mail addy. Rick Quincey,my son and i are personal friends. We also worked together years ago.
I watched part of Pennys show a couple of weeks ago and it was a 2 year old re run. I hear,not from Rick that the Branson music scene is dying due to the economy and disinterest in country music sorry to say. Tracy
Oh BTW. Last time i talked to Rick he was going on some ship tour with Penny.

Phil Coontz

Branson, MO, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2010 11:14 pm    

hi guys phil coontz here and i was one of those steel players, there's not enough time for me to go into all the stuff wrong with that show ,but i'll try to sum it up for you ,{ her husband }, so there i said it , and there has never been a live audience for that show.

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2010 3:25 am    

Whew !!! Thanks Phil----I was soooo tempted to add that but have been resisting !!! - Cool

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2010 10:30 am    

Phil you were the steel player when I started watching this show on a regular basis. I always enjoyed your playing and I was disappointed when you left. The shows in my area that had another player only lasted maybe 3 or 4 shows and then no steel player at all. I was curious as to what is going on.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2010 11:27 am    

[quote="Phil Coontz"]hi guys phil coontz here and i was one of those steel players, there's not enough time for me to go into all the stuff wrong with that show ,but i'll try to sum it up for you ,{ her husband }, so there i said it , and there has never been a live audience for that show.[/q

Phil.Do you know what has become of Rick Quiency? We go back together almost 40 years. Last time i talked to him he was going on a cruise with Penny.
I can't locate his e mail addy or phone number. My son moved recently and can't locate them either.
I have heard due to the economy the music secne in Branson is dying like every where else.
Would appreciate any info you might have on him. If you see him please tell him T.R. and i both have lost his addy. Thanks Tracy

BTW.For any one who might be intrested in Rick he is a monster lead guitar and fiddle player also besides steel. Like most country shows the pickers are held way back as i am sure you know.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 6:10 am    

I watched the show about three times and thought the bands were very good..But as good as the Band was Penny wasn't. Sad

Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 7:33 am    

Who is her husband? Rolling Eyes

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2010 11:25 am    

Mike Stanglin

Phil Coontz

Branson, MO, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2010 10:26 am    

hi tracy i talk to rick quite often and he is doing fine,he still lives in branson but he is working in a show in eureka springs ark. ( pine mt .jamboree }

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2010 3:19 am    

Phil, I sure miss you on the show. I don't even care to watch it now.
The rest of them don't look as happy now, and Penny can't sing as good.
Last night I listened to you playing "Don't You Ever Get Tied of Hurting Me"
over and over, and I tried to figure out how you make it sound so pretty.
You were always my favorite on the show, and I don't even worry about
missing it anymore now. It's not the good country that it used to be. Sad Sad Sad

Carl "Lucky" Kilmer

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2010 4:25 am    

Too many times a spouse gets involved and does more damage than good. I personally do not think Penny is that good of a singer but that is just me. Losing a steel player for the show sure enough sends me the other way. I would bet her husband could are less about having a steel player. The bottom line in todays society is the dollar bill and I would bet the same is true in this case. Good luck Phil with whatever gig you wind up playing with.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2010 11:16 am    

Phil Coontz wrote:
hi tracy i talk to rick quite often and he is doing fine,he still lives in branson but he is working in a show in eureka springs ark. ( pine mt .jamboree }

Thanks Phil.Thought he might be out of town. Next time you talk to him tell him T.R. e mailed him from my computer as his is down at the time.

And will you PM me Ricks phone number as TR can't find it after moving. Tell him we said hey. Tracy

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2010 8:12 pm    

Hey guy's, I started working for Penny this year. I was'nt able to do any of her new tapings on RFD do to the fact I was in rehearsals with the baldknobbers. Some of you may know I was with Joe Nichols for the past three years but for some personal reasons I decided to come back to Branson. So I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm playing for the baldknobbers and Penny Gilley show at the Mansion theater. Dean