The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB slows down-skips
Lee Brideau

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 6:00 am    

Lately my BIAB tracks slow down or skips like an old record. Anyone else had this problem or know of a solution?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 6:31 am    

I used to have that problem until I bought a faster computer with more RAM. If this is a problem that just started, are you running any other programs simultaneously ? Sometimes the computer loads programs without your knowledge that run in the background and use up memory.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 7:18 am    

My BIAB used to do that as well. Too many other things going on. Some times I would get a note that my memory was low and it was taking some from other programs and they may not work. I eventually got more memory for my computer and increased the page file memory.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 7:25 am    

That's why I have a PC dedicated to my recording programs.I have only the things loaded that I need to operate.No online hookup or other junk.It is fast and smooth.
I've got basic BIAB on this PC but only for references and downloads.It runs slower too.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 7:26 am    

My BIAB acts all weird sometimes and I think I've traced the problem to AOL. Do you happen to use AOL for email or anything else? If so, and you're on a PC, do a Control/ALT/DEL and go to task manager and close anything that has 'aol' in the title (you may have to be persistent; they have a way of making those programs open themselves up again in the background!). Then close and restart BIAB and see if that helps.

If you don't use AOL, then sorry for the interruption!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 7:30 am    

I'm like Papa Joe, I have a computer just dedicated to music programs. It's not even connected to the internet.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 8:43 am    

Yepper,If you're on line you have all kinds of crap runnin' in the background that you have no control over.Besides firewalls and virus protects there's a bunch of other stuff messin' with ya.
So you get a song just about finished after hours or even sometimes days of work and then the gremlins hit ya.All that work gone.
A basic PC is not that expensive anymore.
Here's a shot of my set up...

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 4:16 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I'm like Papa Joe, I have a computer just dedicated to music programs. It's not even connected to the internet.

Absolutely. You don't want internet viruses and malware getting into your music work. Have one computer in your music room that does nothing else.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 4:19 pm    

Shouldn't that be an Ebm7 add 9?.

Lee Brideau

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 4:31 am     Many, Many Thanks

Hey Guys...thanks for taking the time to share your advice and experienses

I do have several programs on my comp, some of which I think really do the same thing. So I am going to start dumping them this weekend. This comp. has a wireless internet hook up to our other comp... that is going to go. Taking your advice I am going to try to get it back to the point that I use it for music only.

If all fails my solution is .....Unplug comp, open window, throw comp out, close window..go to Best Buys and start over.

Thanks again Lee.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 9:33 am    

Before you throw the computer out of the window ... assuming you've looked to see that there's no-one in the street under your window ... reformat your hard disk and just re-install those programs you need. Usually when you remove a program it leaves a residue of unnecessary files, and no amount of program removal is going to remove malware. Even the virus detection programs run silently in the background and use up RAM.

By the way, how long has it been since you ran Windows Disk Defragmenter ?
%SystemRoot%\system32\dfrg.msc

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 6:08 pm    

I have my laptop with BIAB connected to the Internet through a router. When BIAB starts doin weird things like skippin, stopping, or anything weird I just turn off my wireless card while I'm using BIAB. I like using the Internet on the same computer with BIAB as I often refer to info on the Forum or other Internet sources and of course my tabs and music are on an external Drive which I also access through the router.

David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 3:42 am    

I can't explain why it works, but I've learned to open BIAB, select a song, start to play it, stop it, close BIAB, then open it again and start over. After starting this process, I've never had a skip. Before...skipped a lot.

Just a thought.