The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question re importing Midi files to BIAB
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2010 6:00 pm    

Is there any way when you import midi files into BIAB that you can mute the melody line?

Sorry if this was asked before.

George

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2010 6:28 pm    

I don't know if this is exacatly what you're looking for but I have a bunch of midi files that were created with BIAB [with melody line] that can be muted.
I would think that if the midi files were created with BIAB then yes you can mute them.

George Rout

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2010 7:35 pm    

Thanks Papa Joe for your input. I don't know enough about"files" that's my problem. I was reading on some site about Midi files and it seems they can ve somewhat versatile.

I've downloaded a few Midis just to experiment, but when I mute the "melody line", the whole file is muted, it keeps playing (silently).

How do I know if a Midi file has been created with BB biles?

The mystery goes on.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2010 10:18 pm    

George,You can tell if it's a BIAB file by the ext.It will be "?g?",always a "g" in the middle,like "sgu" or "mgu'or "sg1'..Usualy sgu...
Someone with a better understanding will come in here and offer more help,I hope..

George Rout

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 5:37 am    

Hi Papa Joe again. I'm familiar with the BIAB file extensions, M is when there's a melody line for example. S doesn't have a melody line I believe.

But Midi files have file extensions as .mid or midi.

I stand to be corrected on a lot of this stuff, like you, I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of Midi files.

However, you can download and import a Midi file into BIAB. You Click on File and the 3rd one down (on my Version, it says "Open Midi File". You can import it into BIAB, you can change the key and temp as it becomes an MGX file.

I'm asking if there is any way I can separate the melody line in that situation.

Geo

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 10:15 am    

Hi George,

When you import a midi file into BIAB, it will usually all go to the melody track in BIAB. If you mute that, it will mute the whole song.

There is a green button on most of the later versions that says SEQ. It is a type of sequencer application for the melody track. you can choose to mute various channels from the midi file that have all ended up on the Melody track in BIAB.

Make sure to read the help file on importing midi files into BIAB. It will explain a lot.

Rob

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 2:46 pm    

Robert has the answer. I imported a Hank Williams midi file into BIAB and used the green "Seq" button and chose "sequencer on melody track" to open the sequencer window. As Robert says you can now mute any unwanted tracks and save it. I used to import into PowerTracks to remove or mute any unwanted instruments but this is easier. Smile

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 3:16 pm    

I'll try to keep this simple.

Click on File, then click on "Import chords from midi file"

A box will then open up from which you can open a midi file on your computer(Right top corner - Open(Change)

Approx. 1/3 down the page on the left side, you will see the word Chords. Put check in Import Chords box. You should also see 2 boxes, one saying Bass part is on channel(s), then a # in the box and below that, Chording track on channel(s) and then 1 or more numbers in the box beside it.

Below Chords you will see the word Melody. It may or may not show a channel # in the box beside Import to melody or Import to Soloist. Uncheck both those little boxes.

This is not infallible as sometimes BIAB will fail to pick up the melody track and list it seperately and it will end up being listed in the box for the chording track. With some effort, you can get around that by loading the song and erasing a channel number in that box until you erase the melody channel.

ie- Chording track on channel(s) - 1,3,4,5,6
Now reload the song then highlight and delete 1,;then if the melody is still there, reload again and leave 1, but erase 3,; you would have to that until you finally erase the melody.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Forgot to mention that using this method puts the channels under the various instruments instead of just on the melody, the same as a BIAB file, so you can therefore pick the instruments you want, including real drums and tracks.

George Rout

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 8:29 pm    

Hello Robert, Andy and Graham. Thank all 3 of you kindly for laying it out so that it makes sense easily. Wow, a who new world using BIAB.

Keep up the good work guys.

Geo