The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Older vs: Newer
Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2010 4:52 pm    

I have an old version of BIAB, version 9. I recently bought a new lap top I'd like to install BIAB on the new machine. The question is....how much better are the newer versions of BIAB? Should I just get an updated version or is 9 still viable?
Thanks.
Joe

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2010 9:58 pm    

Version 9 is pretty old, but very functional. You should get the newest version so you can have "real drums" and other instruments, if you want them. The real drums are a 100 times better than midi drums. The upgrade is not that expensive, but be sure to tell then you want the real drums, etc.... I'd spend the money. Smile

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 6:01 am    

Version 2010 with all the real tracks is fantastic.
It has true fiddle and steel sounds as well as bass and drums, even banjo. There are some horn instruments as well. IMHO it finally sounds like real people and (real) instruments.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 7:40 am    

Definatly get the 2010 mega pack or ultra pack on the usb hard drive..They are huge files and by using the usb hard drive you won't have to use as much of your pc hd..You're gonna be amazed at how good it sounds..

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 1:44 pm     It really does sound good

With the new drag and drop feature for inserting the different tracks into you DAW the sky's the limit!

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 6:22 pm    

Thanks guys. I'll save up. I suspected the V9 was pretty outdated by now. Can I ask, "What's a DAW?"

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 7:10 pm    

So, looking further into it, a DAW is a program like ProTools.....correct? Is 2010 the first version where you can drag and drop files from BIAB directly into another program?
Thanks.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 7:28 pm    

DAW= Digital Audio Workstation. Smile

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 10:34 pm     I believe it is the first version you can directly

All of the earlier versions of biab you had to export the various files then access them in you Digital audio program. You still can but it is so easy to do it through drag and drop.

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 11:19 pm    

Looking on eBay, there seems to be several options for 2010. Pro, Mega Pak....Super Mega Pak, Super Duper Mega Pak Razz Is the difference between these the "Real" options? The prices vary quite a bit, too. What's the right (average) price?

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 11:35 pm    

I think what you would probably need is the Ultra Plus Pak on the hard drive.
Actually you should call PG Music and get their advice.Tell them what you have and what you would like to do.. If you buy direct from them you'll be registered and elgible for free updates and tech support.they also have a very good forum with people ready to help..

http://www.pgmusic.com/index.html

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2010 12:38 am    

Excellent idea. Thanks.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2010 5:55 am    

All you really need to start with is the Mega pack. It will more than likely cover anything you want to do. For most average users, the Ultra pack is overkill. You wouldn't use 99% of what is included in it. I have been using BIAB since it came out and am currently using ver. 2008.5 with Real Drums 1,2,6 and 7 and Real Tracks 1 - 9 and haven't come across a song yet I couldn't do a track for.

As time and funds allow, and as you learn more about the program, you can go to the PG website and check out what is on the various Real Drum and Real Track cd's and if there is something you think you could use on one, you can buy that individual disc for $29.00 U.S.

All the bells and whistles aren't necessary to enjoy and use BIAB.

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2010 9:16 am    

Thanks Graham. On another tangent, how do I determine which sound card is in my computer? Can't seem to locate that info.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2010 1:42 pm    

Joe,

What Graham said. Smile Just call PG Music and tell them what style of music you play (I think I know) and they have some packages that include just the stuff you need without the rest. The whole package has more stuff you'll never use than stuff you will use. Unless you're into doing Latin Tango or Purple Hair Rock, etc....

Too much talk about the sound card. I can almost assure you that the one in the computer will be just fine. You have to run the output through a decent stereo system (home stereo) with speakers to get it to sound like music and not a cell phone ringer. The real tracks don't use MIDI at all, they're real musicians playing parts that the program puts together into what you need. For any MIDI that you use, use the Roland VSC software synth that comes with BIAB and I think you'll be very happy. I know some of this sounds complicated, but it's not.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I have been doing BIAB for a long time and I know some tricks that I'll be happy to help you with by sharing my experience so you don't have to struggle with it as I did. Feel free to email me anytime and we can talk via phone and get you going properly.