The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Serial Numbers
Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 4:49 pm    

Could anyone tell me about what year 2049 ser. no. for a Sho-Bud Professional is? Very Happy

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 5:05 pm    

Jimmie, the meaning and significance of Sho~Bud serial numbers is one of the great mysteries of the steel guitar world. They appear to have no rhyme or reason to them. The guitar's specs will date it more accurately.

If you have a Professional, it was made between 1970-73, after the Crossover and before the Pro II. As with all things Sho~Bud, shave off a few months here and there for timelines. Some of the experts here could probably dial in the exact year from pickup characteristics or other specs, but most Professionals had the same specs throughout the three years of production. I stand corrected on any of the above, but I believe I'm in the ballpark.

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 3:48 am     year

Thanks Chris. I was told that and i still wondered about it. Aren't they supposed to be some of the best sounding Sho-Bud's made?

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 9:05 am    

Yes, Jimmie....they sound like the angels coming down from above. Too bad the screams coming from me when I pull my back lifting it to a gig don't sound as sweet. Laughing

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 12:11 pm    

Oh come on Chris, everybody knows that you can hold a Professional in the case in one hand and a twin in the other--straight out for 10 minutes on a dare for a brewskey. Can't be too much worse than yanking all those salmon out of the river with a flyrod, right-o?? Razz Laughing

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 12:19 pm    

I'm convinced that the serial numbers were determined by whichever punches were out on the bench that day. The guitar made right after yours coulda been numbered 9402!

Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 3:37 pm     Sho Bud Serial #

Jimmy. My name is Gene Haugh And I have just joined the Forum. I worked for Gretsch/Sho-Bud From 1966 to 2002.
I took over the Sho-Bud Division in 1980 when it was moved to Conway Arkansas. The serial number on a Sho-Bud steel was in numerical order. It had nothing to do with the model or date. Your Guitar is a Model 6143
It was built 4/11/1972, It was built by L.T. And OK'd by H.J. It was shipped 4/27/1972 to the Fred Gretsch Co. in Elmhurst Ill.

Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 4:03 pm    

Gene you're about to get asked a whole mess of questions!!

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 4:23 pm     Re: Sho Bud Serial #

Gene Haugh wrote:
Jimmy. My name is Gene Haugh And I have just joined the Forum. I worked for Gretsch/Sho-Bud From 1966 to 2002.
I took over the Sho-Bud Division in 1980 when it was moved to Conway Arkansas. The serial number on a Sho-Bud steel was in numerical order. It had nothing to do with the model or date. Your Guitar is a Model 6143
It was built 4/11/1972, It was built by L.T. And OK'd by H.J. It was shipped 4/27/1972 to the Fred Gretsch Co. in Elmhurst Ill.

Gene....welcome to the forum! Your ability to decipher Sho~Bud serial numbers is akin to "the world is round" discovery. You are going to be a busy man around here, as Joe has remarked. Smile

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 4:26 pm    

James Morehead wrote:
Oh come on Chris, everybody knows that you can hold a Professional in the case in one hand and a twin in the other--straight out for 10 minutes on a dare for a brewskey. Can't be too much worse than yanking all those salmon out of the river with a flyrod, right-o?? Razz Laughing

Ha! Just saw this, James......my old Professional is heavier than all the salmon I've ever caught collectively! Laughing

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 8:48 pm     Re: year

Jimmie Martin wrote:
Thanks Chris. I was told that and i still wondered about it. Aren't they supposed to be some of the best sounding Sho-Bud's made?

Oh no, not again! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 5:56 am    

Gene, welcome to the forum. Does this imply that there is a list with shipping info and dates for Sho-Buds in the Gretsch period, akin to the ZB info Greg Jones has, or Reece's MSA log book? Would this imply that the serial numbers actually follow a pattern at least back to '66? Maybe even back to the beginning?

We are waiting for more from you, Where have you been all this time?

WOW!!!!!!

Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 9:50 am     Sho-Bud Serial #

Don't know all there is to know about Sho bud. Like I explaned I took over the operation in Conway Ar. November /16 / 1980 when Baldwin Piano moved it from Nashville. They had bought it sometime before and had started keeping a production record. The earliest I can find any record of is Serial# 1001 3/30/71.
Anything earlier I don't have a way to access.
Will be happy to answer any questions I can but am not guaranteeing the speed in which you can get it. I'm getting old and slowing down.

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 11:02 am    

Gene, one thing I have wanted to know, is how many Sho-Buds were made in an average day? Was it more in the Ark. days, or less?
So is it safe to assume that they were numerical after 1001 in 1971. I have had my own theories, but kept them to myself because I did not really know. I did not want anyone trying to date their guitar based on my speculations about the serial number. I had noticed before that a in lot of the old numbers, the first digit seemed to be a good guess at the year (7024 for 1967, 2536 for 1972 for example). Is the first digit #1 because it was 1971, and 001 because it was the first completed after they started keeping this record? or 001 because it is the first completed in 1971? Did the fist digit have anything at all to do with the date? Before this, were they really all just random, or was there supposed to be a method to it that was often ignored?
Sorry for all the questions, I know a lot of us Sho-Bud fans are covering you up with emails. Take your time to answer, and thanks very much for any information that you may have to share with us.

Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 11:47 am    

Gene,

I know you will be overrun with requests but if you have time could you see if you have info on 3632.

Thanks,

Steve

Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 2:59 pm     Sho-Bud serial #

Steve,
The information I can find on #3632 is
Model # 6153, Date built = 7/11/73, Built by PF. = Paul Franklin I think, Date shipped = 7/17/73 to Gretsch in Cinn. Ohio

Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 3:13 pm     Sho-Bud Serial #

Bobby,
While in Conway Ar. My schedule was 1-Supper Pro, 5 - Mavericks, and 4 others, either single necks or double necks. I had one girl who assembled the Supper Pro's, one girl who did the mavericks and two girls who assembled the Pro 1, 2, and 3.
The first number of the serial # had nothing to do with any date or year. Every thing was just in numerical order because the number was the last thing before packing and it was put on the guitar after "JASU" would adjust and tune the guitar.

Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 3:30 pm    

Gene,

Thanks for taking the time to look that up.

Steve

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 5:33 pm    

Gene, I am not a spring chicken either. I bought a new LDG, and I cannot remember when I bought it. I know it came from the Goodman warehouse in Cinci. My serial number is 11639. Could you please help. Thanks, Ronnie

Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 6:56 pm     Sho-Bud Serial #

Ronnie,
Serial #11639 = 6150 Built 2/4/77, Built by P.F. I believe that is Paul Franklin, It was checked by Yasu Kameya. Shipped 2/15/77 to Gretsch inventory. Reshipped 9/30/77 to Master Music Then to you 10/5/77 in Brunswick Ohio.
I think this is correct.
Gene Haugh

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 7:22 pm    

Gene, this is a fascinating read! You are a valuable historian! So sad I never wrote down the serial# on the 6139 that I bought directly from ShoBud in Nashville in early 1972(april I think).I dealt with Duane Marrs throughout the whole transaction and he shipped it to me in Norway via Emery Air Freight.
I still remember the neat stationery that Duane used. He would write me a message on the left side of the paper then I would reply on the right side!
Funny how one can remember all these silly details but I guess it was a pretty important milestone in my life.
I was 24 then...
Can you find anything at all on the basis of this info?

Bent Romnes

Michael Strauss

Delray Beach,Florida
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 7:36 pm    

Hi Gene, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to bother you, but I have an 80's LDG Serial# 16592 I've been wondering about. What was the last year you made LDG's?

Thanks, Michael

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 7:56 pm     Gretsch/Sho-Bud

Hi Gene! Just had to say Hello! Been a long time since Booneville! Al Udeen

Dennis Wallis

Arkansas
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 8:21 pm    

Gene , I have a '73 LDG ser #5119 . Can you tell me about it ? I also have a later model but I'll have to get the ser # later . Thanks .

Dennis

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 8:32 pm    

Gene, good to see your name!
I headed up Scottys steelguitar department
in St Louis for years, 'til mid-'90s and we
got LOTS of ShoBuds from ya!
BTW, perhaps you could 'fill in the
blanks' on my Super-Pro, it is #14,400.
Glad to know you're doin' awright,
Russ