The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitarist Robert D. Norred, played with Hank Williams
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2009 4:51 pm    

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/news/newsitem2.asp?xid=3398

Former Drifting Cowboys member dies
Monday, October 26, 2009 – Steel guitarist Robert D. Norred, one-time member of Hank Williams' backing band for a short period in the late 1940s, died Sunday, Oct. 25.

Norred was born Jan. 16, 1919 in Sylacauga, Ala. Norred was a band member of the Drifting Cowboys from late 1947 until early 1948, playing on Wiliams' radio show on WSFA in Montgomery, Ala. along with Joe Penny, Lum York, and Winston "Red" Todd.

Norred worked in the cotton mills of Talladega, Ala. For seven yearse [sic] and played music on the side. For 10 years, he played with Hal Howard and the Pearl River Boys. He later was as a member of Mac Sanders' Troubadores and was heard on WRBL Radio in Birmingham, Ala. Norred eventually opened his own TV sales and service business.

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 3:13 am    

Dave I have a billing poster with Hank and Audrey along with Uncle Lum, Red Todd, Sonny Norred and Joe Pennington AKA Joe Penny. It was signed by Sonny and Joe back a few years ago when I done a couple shows with Joe and some recording.
Joe is in the rockabilly hall of fame and lives in Plant City, Fl.
May peace be with Sonny's family and my God take him in

Billy Morgan

Talladega, Alabama
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 6:51 am    

Dave, Thank you for posting this information about Mr. Norred. I live in Talladega Alabama and was fortunate to have known him. He was known as R D Norred in this area. The first thing that comes to my mind about R D was his amusing stories about Hank and Mrs. Audrey and he had quite a few to tell. He was living in Sylacauga Alabama during the time he played with Hank. He also played for a short time with Tex Ritter, but that in itself is another amusing story. After he moved from Talladega I lost touch with him but I think he lived around Dadeville Alabama during the latter part of his life and they are probably some steel players in the Montgomery area that knew him well during this period of his life.

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2009 9:58 pm    

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm very happy to hear from people who knew Robert, I never had the honor and pleasure. There must be some other folks out there that knew him, love to hear from you.

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 5:19 am    

Amazing.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 11:49 am    

Joe Penny (Pennington) is immediately to Hank's left in this picture. He made a dandy rockabilly record called "Bip A Little, Bop A Lot".

I am guessing that is Robert on Joe's left. Thanks for posting this; I never would have known the steel player otherwise.

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 5:40 pm    

Yup, that's apparently Robert - this other obit appears to have used a crop from that same picture:

http://themusicsover.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/robert-norred-hank-williams/