The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Uncle Don Helms
David Young

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 10:15 am    

Hello all,

The day after tomorrow, 08/11/09, will mark the one year anniversary of Uncle Don's homegoing. It sure has been a tough couple of years for our steel guitar family. We have had to say bye to several of our great hall of famers, and other dear friends. Uncle Don was a true gentleman and brother. I miss being able to call him up to visit, but, it is also a joy to visit with Aunt Hazel. I spoke with her yesterday, and she is doing well in spite of the fact she misses Don terribly. Please join me in continuing to keep Hazel, all the family, and their many friends lifted up in prayer. We need the comfort and healing that only God can give.

In Jesus' Service,
Bro. David
Hello to all my steel guitar playing friends. You are in my prayers as you travel to all the shows. I'll see you when I can. Rev. David L. Young / 2007 Martin D-41 Special, 1999 Tacoma DM-9, 2012 Bourgeois Cocobolo back and sides with an Adirondack Spruce top.

Last edited by David Young on 9 Aug 2009 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 12:01 pm    

Dave,sure glad to hear Miss Hazel doing fine. Her and Don were probably the closest couple I have ever meant. She is still in my prayers. I miss seeing Don at the St. Louis Convention.

David Young

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 12:54 pm     Uncle Don Helms

Luke,

Thanks for keeping Hazel in your prayers. About them being close, I remember what Uncle Don said he told Aunt Hazel. "If you ever decide to leave me, just pack my bag too cause I'm going with you." I sure miss him.

Bro. David
Hello to all my steel guitar playing friends. You are in my prayers as you travel to all the shows. I'll see you when I can. Rev. David L. Young / 2007 Martin D-41 Special, 1999 Tacoma DM-9, 2012 Bourgeois Cocobolo back and sides with an Adirondack Spruce top.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 1:07 pm    

Don was such a great loss to the steel guitar community. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep Ms Hazel and the family always. Jody.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2009 4:17 am    

We all miss Uncle Don.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2009 4:49 pm    

Nice post David as I was thinking the same. For some reason I got my Console Grande out the other day and am going to restring the 7/8 string necks like Don's tuning.
A couple days later I happenned to catch Don on the RFD channel doing the Country Family Reunion DVD series. A legend we miss, hope all is well these days with Mrs Hazel.

Terry Huval

Lafayette, Louisiana
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 6:00 am    

It was at about this time a year ago that I received the call about Don's passing earlier that morning. He was a very precious and gifted person and, like many of you, I think about him and pray for him often. I am fortunate to have gotten to know him and play music with him.

He also had some of the best one liners in the business.

May God Bless Don and Miss Hazel.

Terry

David Young

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 7:59 am     Uncle Don Helms

When I first met Don & Hazel, Don responded with his quick wit and humor. I said, "Mr. Helms, I haven't had the privilege and honor of meeting you yet." Uncle Don said, "Well it's about time you did" as he extended his hand and grinned. I told him that I knew several people that he knew, and was friends with several of his friends. He was his usual self, gracious and humble. We visited for a while, and he said, "David, we are just people like everybody else."

Uncle Don & Aunt Hazel are gracious and humble people. The world would be a much better place if more people could be like them.

We love Don & Hazel Helms.

Bro. David

Tay Joslin

Clarksvillle, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 5:38 pm    

My wife and I were just talking
about the Helms family the other
day. We would like to send a
card to Miss Hazel, but we do
not know her address. Could
somebody forward her mailing
address via private message to
me?

Thanks,
Tay

Leslie Elliott

Madison, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 8:30 pm     Ms. Hazel and Uncle Don

David,
Thank you so much for your post about Uncle Don. He and Ms. Hazel are two of our best friends and we shared many wonderful times together. We still miss him so much and the hurt hasn't even begun to heal.
Ron and I see Ms. Hazel as often as we can - in fact we picked her up last Tuesday and took her to the NTSGA meeting. Then on Sunday we were with her at the R.O.P.E. Sunday Social. She is doing okay and as far as we know now she will be in St. Louis. She will be in our booth selling Don's cd's and book. So be sure to come by and see her.
Musically yours,
Leslie Elliott

Dave White

Fullerton, California USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2009 12:19 pm    

Don's steel added so much to the recordings of Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzell, Patsy Cline and so many others. I remember the solo he did on Hank's "Mind Your Own Business"--that was a sound that was ahead of its time. Hard to believe it's been a year since he left us. We're losing so many of the greats in this business. I'm glad Miss Hazel is doing well and my thoughts and prayers are with her today.

Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 11:54 am    

I really wanted to meet Don one day but never got the chance. My most treasured album is Joe Turner's cd with Joe Turner interviewing Don. I love this cd and the music is great as well. Joe Turner is nothing less than top notch player and a swell guy from what i can tell.

Any Don Helms fan should get this CD!

Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2009 5:24 pm    

I was thinking of Don a few weeks ago when I drove through New Brockton, Alabama. I remember Don telling me stories about what it was like growing up there, the last time I visited with him and Hazel at the Daleville Steel Show in 2007. After the show I carried his gear to the car for him and I remember thinking I better not drop any of it as it was worth more to most of us than all the gold on earth.

He is missed by many and that's a fact.

JW

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 3:41 am    

I sure do miss that guy! We used to get get together in H'Ville for breakfast a couple times each week. He always had a cool road story, or a great joke to tell. He was one of the funniest men I have ever known.

One morning he met me at Mickey D's to show me his Sierra stell guitar that Jett had given him, and naturally he wound up giving Ronald a lesson.

Like there aren't enough clowns playing these things already!

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2009 9:41 pm    

There's no doubt in my mind that Don Helms was one if not the best steel guitar player around.I have some old Hank Sr. albums on vinyl(yes vinyl) here at the house. And I listen to them from time to time. Don is playing for the Master, Our Lord and Savior in The Heavenly Band of Angels in Heaven. Everytime I hear Don do a kick off on one of Sr's songs. My mind goes back in time to days when he and Hank were traveling the highways and byways of Our land playing fairs and honky tonks. We miss Don, but one of these days we will be there, with him and the Band of Heavenly Angels. With ol Hank. Hank died before I was born. But I do remember his music.
Tommy Shown