The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. 2009 Conv Thoughts
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  2009 Conv Thoughts
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 5:22 am    

This was a great Conv this year, glad to see Bud Carter get in to the Hall of fame he has been a friend an hero of mine since i was 8 years old.I was also happy for Ron an Barbara both done a lot for the steel guitar.I was glad to see some new players this year, they were great.Mike Sigler just blew me away he is by far one of best pickers I heard over the weekend in the jamming rooms. But i really missed Bobby Caldwell not being on the stage leading the band, his presents has always gave the band a little something extra that you can't put in to words. But the band played on an did a wonderful job it was a Conv to be proud of. Thanks Scotty

Jerry

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 7:20 am    

Well, someone has to say it...the stage band was just not up to par without Bobby Caldwell..
I never heard so many blown endings, missed tags, confusion over who was soloing, etc.
I guess we all took his talent for granted.
And when he took a solo, it was perfectly played for that song..and with lots of confidence.
I remember many, many applauses for his solos.
Just as importantly, he was a true band leader and now, I realize, the heart and soul of that convention.
I hope his terrible affliction eases and he finds peace in this awful time in his life.
Between his conspicuous absence and the recently great players who have passed on, and the various tributes and dedications to deceased players, it was a pretty morbid show overall.
Otherwise, oh yeah, it was a fine convention Sad

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 5:15 am    

Yes Bobby was missed this year and our prayers are with him. But I couldn't disagree with Tony more. I thought the band was outstanding this year. Duke Dumas did a super job on Guitar. Even when he took s break from the main stage he could be found in another room playing bass. I would like to see any band do a live show for four days, 14 to 16 hours a day and not make a mistake.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 5:23 am    

I would also like to mention that Roger Miller on guitar is no slouch either. Roger plays on our shows up here as well as the Iowa show and the Quad Cities show. He handles the job quite well. A lot of the players on the show this past week-end he has worked with. As far as botched endings and such I challenge any of you that were disappointed to step up and try to fill Bobby's shoes.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 5:31 am    

And how often do you get to hear a Johnny Smith?

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 7:56 am    

Craig you are right. Roger Miller is a monster guitar player also