The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Scotty, what if you changed the venue one time? Vegas!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Scotty, what if you changed the venue one time? Vegas!
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 9:02 pm    

I think the question was answere dby the post which pointed out the meeting was held once in Nevada and was a money looser. However I'm sure if someone was to guantee a profit, arrangments could be nmade for a second show. After all, and I realize this is loosing its significance now, for the moment we have a capitalistic economy

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 5:15 am    

It's only 20 minutes from my house!!!!!!!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 5:38 am    

I gotta say, it's very difficult to organize a large convention long-distance, and MUCH easier to organize one in your own home town. There's usually a lot of running around to do. Anybody would want to do it close to home.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 5:21 pm     Convention Side men

When I first went to St. Louis in '99, I was blown away with the play of Bobby Caldwell on guitar, and Roy Rosetta on piano. I would not want to limit their playing time at all, although Manion on A Hill once a day is enough.

The last time I was there Steve Pitico was there playing a hot Tele! Wow, what an addition. Steel players were inviting Steve to sit in and Scotty jokingly commented, "do so at your own peril" "he will steal your show". My point is that an all steel show could get a little boring even for steel players.

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 6:25 pm     St Louis is an amazing city.

In my opinion, the show is perfect where it is. I love it, and wish I could go again this year. If it were in L.V. I would probably never get there.
Very Happy

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 5:53 am     location, location, location...

How about the Greenbrier Hotel and Resort in White Sulphur West Virginia? It's under new managment now with plenty of improvements. There is going to be gambling in a very discreet location and presentation. The new owner, Jim Justice is a fire ball and I'm sure he could combine the ISGC with a similarly related group of people to provide a synergistic componet to maximize exposure for our beloved instrument. Facilities? There are plenty. Not the least of which is the "Bunker" that was intended to house Congress during a war. This post is not in jest. If such a move were to be seriously considered please consider this one. Don D.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 6:54 am    

Quote:
How about the Greenbrier Hotel and Resort in White Sulphur West Virginia?

A great place for another show but not the ISGC.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 2:11 pm    

Vegas the obvious choice for me ! And probably anyone that lives near a city with an Airport !

The most prohibitive factor for us to attend every year is the Airline travel cost, no consistency whatsoever, one year paid $180, the next it was $450, then I argued with the Airline to use a a free pass that they did not want to accept because it was labor Day weekend !

Vegas from Charlotte ? Well, you can do this with a room for a couple of hundred bucks any day of the week ! Free shuttle to any Hotel worth beans from the Airport. Last Plane leaves at 10:00pm I can stay for the entire Sunday schedule instead of leaving early to catch the only Plane at 5 pm...If you miss the flight, how bad would that be ? Having to stay an extra day in a town that never shuts off the lights or goes to sleep vs St Louis Airport where once you are through security you got Grandma's Chocolate Chip Cookies and a frozen fruit drink...

Heck, last time I was in the Vegas Airport I stuck 4 quarters in the slots just before boarding the plane and won $100 !

Count me in for Vegas, plus we can invite Wayne to come sing and I bet he would show up...

t

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 3:30 pm    

You guys don't know how lucky your are ...your grizzling about paying a few hundred bucks for an airfare to St Louis Laughing

Hell it would cost me about $3500 to get there from Kiwi land and then there's the bar tab on top of that Whoa!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 5:31 pm    

Now this thread is comin' alive!
Tony, That was one of the funniest posts I've ever read around here and there have been some very funny ones through the years.
Now that we're all dreaming about our personal ideal locations I want to change my vote. Let's take this party to Bangkok! This would be a great thing for our European friends, our Asian friends, our Australian friends, our African friends and in many respects all North and South Americans too.
Do we have friends on the North or South Pole? If we do, they're invited.

Last edited by Don McClellan on 27 Aug 2009 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 5:55 pm    

Ah, Tony. You can go to Vegas anytime. When are you going to get to St. Louis if not for Scotty's? Smile

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2009 6:38 pm     location, location, location....

Tony, you and half the steel guitar population can drive here in less than a day, park your car with no worries, golf, participate in a Cival war re-enactment, play steel in a post war bunker, visit the birth place of Russ Hicks, play steel with Sam Snead (if he was still alive), fly easily from Charlotte, gamble before embarking on way back to airport, visit a local gun shop owned by a fine steel player (Marvin Snedegar), get a massage, be OUT of the city... there are even some Dams... I'm not sayin' Hoover but you get the picture. And it is still on I-64. It's not that hard to find. Also the Resort is pretty much empty this time of year so perhaps a good deal can be made with folks running it. Don D.

Les Green

Jefferson City, MO, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 11:00 am    

I would like to see it moved to the suburbs of St. Louis. I think Jefferson City would be just about right. Only about 120 miles to the west. That way I could attend every day and spend more money!

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2009 5:24 am    

After this weekend is over, they might just move
it after all..... this is the lowest attended convention
I can remember. It's dead in here and a lot
of big vendors....even Peavey for gods sakes!...
are noticeably absent.
The performances in the main room were simply
not engaging this year, with the exception of
Al Perkins....he saved the night.
Blah.
ps. in all fairness, Bobby Caldwell's absence has left a pall
over the stage atmosphere....it's just not the same without him

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2009 6:34 am    

Tony is right. Add to that the disturbing lack of attendees under 50 and you've got a bleak outlook for the future. I bet we only pick up one new attendee for every 30 that pack it in.

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)

Richard Paul

Iowa USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2009 6:58 am     Change!!!

I put my vote for Laurel, Iowa
Population about 200.
Not congested.
Plenty of free parking along the highway shoulders.
Our Legion Hall is 3600 sq. ft. rent cheep.
A Quick Stop, but no gas.
Our glitter is one flashing stop light at the cross roads.
A black smith shop, so if some thing would brack on the Steel, or you could get it made into a "Permanent". He is a fine welder.
One antique shop, for the wives.
One restaurant, seats 28.
One church.
One Bar, no show girls.
Your doing fine, Scotty, don't try to fix it.

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2009 7:52 am    

Don
I think a convention in LV is a great idea. The lights the glamour. What a hoot. Now here's what you do. Come up with oh let's say $20,000.00 rent a 3000 seat arena make sure you do it a Hotel where you can comp a bunch of rooms for the steelin "Stars" Oh and don't forget having a place big enough for booth space. (You'll probably have to rent that to but you'll get your money back>hehhehehe) Now spend about 6 months of YOUR time booking pickers and putting the schedule together. Sound system,back up band, lights, video, etc. Of course Grips and sound and light techs in LV are union...ooo better add another $5,000...You might need a committee or as they say in St Louis A FAMILY!!!
Yeah that should about do it. $25,000 grand plus free labor that ought to about cover it. You do live in Vegas don't you???
Oh I almost forgot......FOOD!!!!!
I'm looking forward to it. Let me know when you get it put together. Love to come and be a spectator!!!!

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2009 6:19 am    

Phoenix is nice this time of year we are down below 100

Who started this thing - IT IS IN ST. LOUIS BECAUSE SCOTTY IS IN ST LOUIS - IT IS HIS SHOW

Come to Phoenix in January it's a great show

Vegas is easy to get to (not counting the guys from MO and MI for example and there is lots of cheap flights

Why is GM in Detroit who would want to work there
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2009 8:46 am    

You know, this is really a non-starter. The convention isn't going to be moved to another city. I'm closing this topic.