The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Simmons passed away
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 6:17 pm    

Im so sorry that I cant be there in Montgomery for the tribute...Know that I will be there in spirit with all of his, and my, Bama buddies to pay tribute to a wonderful man...Mickey
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Jack Shults

Canadian, Oklahoma U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 10:31 pm    

This is truely sad news. Bill has been a true friend for several years. We have been in each other's homes and had swapped a lot of gear.

When my nephew was trying to get into the steel guitar, Bill sold him an MSA at a really good price and then gave him a bar and a pack-a-seat for free.

When I had my stroke, Bill came by and took me for a ride, just to get me out of the house for a while.

We had a good time at the Texas show, last month, and we even shared a private joke that I will now carry with me always.

Like someone else said, I too have been following his music since the days he was with the Lundstrums.

Along with everybody else; I have lost a true friend and will miss him. His family will remain in my prayers.

Jack Shults

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2009 1:30 am    

Geez, I did some internet business with Bill a couple weeks ago and found him to be a friendly, warm, and knowledgeable guy.
We quickly found out we were both big Jay Dee Maness
fans.
We were exchanging emails every day for a while, and
all at once I didn't hear from him.
I was just getting to know Bill, and was looking forward to hearing him play in the future.
My prayers go out to his family.

Joe.

Andy Goertzen

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2009 5:48 am    

Bill: You were larger then life itself to me. Thanks for giving so much of yourself in growing me as a person and a steel player. You are truly missed and so are the phone calls. My prayers are with the rest of the family. May God Truly pick you up.
With love
Andy

MSA-S12 5x4,CARTER-D10 8x5,PEAVEY DEUCE, SESSION400, NASHVILLE 400, JAY TURSER.

Bob Rains

Abilene, Texas, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2009 12:43 pm    

Our prayers go out to the Simmons family. Bill will missed by many. Bob Rains

Larry Tresnicky

Grapevine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2009 12:52 pm     Bill Simmons

What a wonderful person! It makes it a lot easier to see someone pass from this life to eternity when you know where he is going. I too like many of you have many fond memories. Bill always had a Rodney Dangerfied act every time we met - he always cracked me up. But my best memory was one day when we were out together & I mentioned my Daughter having some health isssues - he stopped right in the parking lot, held hands with my wife & I & prayed. Thank God the prayers worked. God bless you Bill and your Family.

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2009 7:33 am    

Bill this seems too early for you to leave us,but it not for we as Christians to question. We must,by faith however, understand that your going so soon fits into "the" greater master plan of our creator.

So glad to have recently have seen you being your pleasant and happy self in Dallas,and will always remember the jams when I first met you.

"For your Family"
Ira Stanphill says it best.

I don't know about tommorrow
I just live from day to Day
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to gray
I don't worry o're the future
For I know what Jesus said
And today I'll walk beside him
For he knows what is ahead.

Many Things about tommorow
I don't seem to under stand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know he holds my hand

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2009 7:42 am     Bill

I was so shocked and saddened to hear of Bill's passing. Such a great person and a fine Christian man. I remember meeting Bill in my hometown and he brought his steel. He was a fantastic player and that guitar sounded so good. May the Good Lord comfort his family and friends during this time of grief.

Marlin Gengenbach

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2009 5:45 pm     bill

Rest in peace, my friend. My condolences to the family.

Duane Brown

Reno,Nevada USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2009 6:42 pm     Bill

I can't say anything more about Bill than has been said. I just can't believe this! I also joked and visited with Bill in Dallas last month as so many others have said. There is a hole in my heart as big as Texas, but know Bill is with Jesus now. I'm praying for the Simmons family and know Jesus will carry them through this terrible time in their life.

Duane Brown

Jimmy Campbell

Fayette, Alabama.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2009 7:22 pm    

Just learned of the death of Mr. Bill Simmons.

First met him at the ASGA show in Montgomery and saw him again at the show in Birmingham.

Robin and I send our sympathy to the Simmons family.

Mark Edwards

Weatherford,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2009 5:08 am    

I have said this in other posts, Bills passing is our loss and Heavens Gain. I met Bill through Gary Carpenter/Corky Owens and thought what a really nice guy (as has been said is just about every post I've seen) but it wasn't just his kindness that set him apart. Bill truly was a gentleman's/gentleman. His passion for God, Family, Church, Steel and life was very contagious. I remember talking with Gary Carpenter one day out of Bills earshot and was ranting about what a nice Christian man Bill Simmons seemed to be and that was to be solidified while driving to lunch one day with Gary and Bill we saw an old woman driving her three wheeler scooter in heavy traffic on the side of the road with difficulty, of course my first thought and statement was what in the world is that crazy lady doing out here in all the traffic. Bills first statement was "God Bless that woman", I learned something from Bill that day and that is that it's not what I think but what God would want us to think, and I believe this speaks volumes of Bill Simmons life although trivial as it may seem from that point on I saw Bill in a different light. I think the thing I most enjoyed about Bill was his warped sense of humor, he was one of the funniest pranksters I've ever come across but his fun was never at anyone expense. Were gonna miss Bill Simmons and our prayers go out to the Simmons family.

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2009 1:58 pm     Im memory of my brother Bill Simmons

WOW, I am Bill Simmons sister from Cambridge Ontario Canada,I've been reading all the wonderful and touching e-mail's that you have all wrote about my brother. He was exactly like you described him even as we grew up. He was caring and loving and the BEST brother anyone could have. I miss him so much that there are days I feel like I can't breath. My mom and dad remember a lot of your names so that shows that Bill did take you into his heart. He talked alot about his music and his friends but most of what he would want to be remembered for is his love for "Jesus Christ" I am rest assured that is where he is in heaven and I know my mom and dad and I will see him there, what a glorious day that will be.
Please pray for my parents and myself as we still are struggling through these emotions. He was so young but I know that God took him home early so he could have wonderful peace. I love you God Bless you
Darleen Simmons Brauen "will always remain Bill's sister"

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2009 5:07 pm    

July 24 2009
My parents Rick and Lil Simmons and my family rememered my brother Bill Simmons birthday which was July 22 and my mom's birthday which was on July 23rd. Bill was born 1 hour before my mom's. These were very emotional days, my mom missed her call from her son, but it was really precious when she got an e-mail from Bill's oldest son, Jason, and a call from Jason's wife Megan wishing grandma a happy birthday. I want to thank a lot of Bill's friends who remembered it was Bill's birthday and called or e-mailed my parents. Your love and calls are really helping them through this. Please continue with your love and prayers, we really need them. Love again and will always remain Bill's sister Darleen Simmons Brauen PS What Bill would what you to remember about him the most is that he loved his Lord more than anything!

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2009 6:16 pm    

Wednesday,July 22/09 was a special day as we celebrated our son's birthday. This first birthday without him with us physically but always, yes always with us in spirit.

We will never forget his wonderful laughter & smile; his touch;the sound of his voice;his presence & the joy & pleasure of listening to his musical talents.

Bill will always be with us, never far from our thoughts or memories. He was & is a special man...our son..forever in our hearts.

Our heartfelt thanks to all of you for your kindness & support during this difficult time.

Rick & Lil Simmons & sister Darleen.

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 4:10 pm    

Here are some pictures of my brother, Bill Simmons I hope you enjoy them. Love and will always remain his sister Darleen Simmons Brauen PS Ihope the pictures come through ok.

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 5:54 pm    

Darlene,

Thanks so much for sharing these great pictures with us. Not that any of us will ever forget Bill, but the pictures sure bring back some very special memories. Please give my best to Mom and Dad.

Jim

Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 8:25 pm    

Lord, I miss that guy. Crying or Very sad

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 5:40 pm    

Thank you so much Jim and Bryan for your response I will pass this message onto mom and dad Forever Bill's sister Darleen Simmons Brauen

Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2009 11:48 am     Bro Bill

Thank you so much Darlene. I don't think I've ever been as influenced or touched in my life by any friend and Bro in Christ as I was by Bill. I didn't even want to play steel anymore for awhile. Now I'm trying a little and crying a little each time. If Bill were here he would say "You can do it Doc"
What a friend I have in Jesus and What a friend I had in Bill.

See you someday Buddy.

Doc Rickles

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 12:23 pm     Bill Simmons

Bill truly was a Godly man. I met Bill when he was playing with the Lundstrom Ministries on a cold Northern Minnesota night in the 70's when they played at the Hibbing High School Auditorium. His playing touched my heart. He truly was a wonderful man and a great steel player!! The Lundstroms did not have a steel player until Bill came along, and boy did he add to their band. Then we lost touch for quite a few years. In the last year we had touched base again when he was looking for a guitar. Since then,whenever we'd talk on the phone, it would end up with him giving me some pedal steel lesson or show me some lick to play. Our 5 minute call would end up lasting 3/4 of an hour or more. He taught me on the phone how to utilize the P4 Franklin pedal.

God just couldn't wait any longer to have him in his band!!

I, along with all, will truly miss you Bill. You were a true friend.

Al Vesel

Sad Sad Sad
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

Last edited by Al Vesel on 3 Aug 2009 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Darleen Simmons Brauen

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 8:58 am    

Iam truly touched by all the beautiful replies that I read on the Forum about my brother. I miss him so much that I can hardly make through some days and like today I go to pick up the phone to call him and he isnt there or want to make plans to fly out to see him and he's not there. But then I remind my parents that he is in a better place and in a a less stressfull place, Billie had so much to deal with yet he still kept a smile, he loved his friends, actually he cherished all of you. I cant wait to see him. I love you so much Bill. Forever your sister Darleen Simmon Brauen darlabrauen@rogers.com God Bless All of You

Andy Goertzen

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 3:24 pm     Bill Simmons

Hi Darlene: Welcome to forum. Thanks for posting the pics. I continue to pray for you and your family. You are truely a blessing. The pics are great but i need some licks for when your dad gets here. Talk to you soon.
love
Andy

MSA-S12 5x4,CARTER-D10 8x5,PEAVEY DEUCE, SESSION400, NASHVILLE 400, JAY TURSER.

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 2:45 pm    

Darleen, it's great to see you on the forum. Bill was such a great friend and mentor to me. It's still hard for me to believe that he's gone. He was the most selfless, caring man I believe I've ever met. I know that he's in a better place. I'm still terribly saddend that I wasn't able to get back to Birmingham for his memorial service. As you said, I don't know how many times I've picked up the phone to call him.

Please tell Mr. Rick and Mrs. Lil I said hello.
Love ya Bill... Crying or Very sad