The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CURNOW Steel Guitars
Bernard Curnow

Cornwall, UK
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 3:39 am    

I have for sale in the UK only Two Curnow Steel Guitrs
These I manufacture in my own workshop In Cornwall, they are S10 on a 3/4 maple body 3 pedals and 5knee leavers.all the metal used is enginering grade allumimum and all shaft and rods are stainless steel

The price £1150.00 each and are suplyed with case and 12 month guarantee.
Jimmy Gibson can give recommendation on the quality and tone as he has played both.

Last edited by Bernard Curnow on 10 Aug 2009 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 5:41 am    

Really nice!!

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 1:06 am     They don`t come much better.

I played both Bernards steels,and i was knocked out with them.They are fantastic playing sounding and look like a work of art,and are made to the highest spec.

The first one i demonstrated at a steel guitar club,and the comments from the other steelie`s were all about how nice it played, sounded,and looked.

I think The price Bernard is asking is an absolute bargain, IMHO they are as good if not better than some steels costing twice as much,i know because i have had quite a few steels over the years,and these are up there with the best of them.

JG...

Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 1:52 am    

Hi Bernard
They look like great instruments you're building there. Maybe a few close up shots from underneath, top and end would promote them even more. They look like a reasonably lightweight guitar too. Have they the endplate drilled half stops on them ?
Best of luck with them.
Barry

Bernard Curnow

Cornwall, UK
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 2:40 am    

Hi Barry thanks for the reply if this link works you should be able to see pictures you require under the heading S10 3/5 http://bernthemiller.multiply.com If this does not work email and I can send you the pictures.
Regards Bernard

Paul Foster

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 5:17 am     your guitars

IN your post you say "in the uk only" does this mean you cannot buy one if you live in the usa? also what is the cost shipped to the usa, I am interested, Thanks navion@q.com

Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 2:30 pm    

Hi Bernard
Saw all the pics' fine.
It's interesting to see from the three guitars how you've gradually built up to the last one. I notice in the earlier pics there's a mixture of Sho-Bud and other ideas(obviously it's a reworked twin ten)and ZB type pedals on the SD10. Your last pics of the Curnow show a lot of modern features found on current US guitars. The pedal stops,(ala Emmons, the best method in my opinion) multi holed pullers and well machined parts with square cross rods. Am I right in thinking the bottom back comes of for quick changing. Do you use computer controlled cutting for the Aluminium or castings ? I'm sure the machanics work superbly, they look really well made and it's great to see you've got a version of the trapped string ball instead of a pin.
I don't suppose it would take much more machining to include endplate splits ( a lot of players use those these days)and endplate spring adjustment.
I'd say you were well on your way to making a world class steel. It has that modern look that a lot of European steels don't have. Compact, lightweight and precision engineered.
Great job mate.
Cheers
Barry

Bernard Curnow

Cornwall, UK
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2009 12:37 am    

Hi Barry
all the aluminium parts are machined from solid blocks they are all machined by hand cnc machines would be to expensive an the cost of maintenance large as I know from my work experience as a retired Toolmaker. The only castings are the pedals; By the way do you know where I might be able to get sand castings made to a pattern.
Regards Bernard

Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2009 1:35 am    

Hi Bernard
Here are a few potential companaies who might help.
Alternatively, a call to Ron Bennett might prove handy. He's a great guy and full of information.
0151 608 4562

info@investacast.com 01271 866200

sales@turneraluminium.co.uk 01536 412367

DAC Foundries Ltd
18-21 Smestow Bridge Ind Est
Bridgnorth Road
Wombourne
West Midlands
WV5 8AY
Tel: 01902 324646
Fax: 01902 897227
info@dac-castings.com