The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Converting BIAB Files with Real Tracks to .MP3?
Mike Brinkmeyer

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 8:01 am    

This has probably been discussed before, put I couldn't find anything . . . When attempting to convert a 2009 BIAB file (.SGU) to an .MP3 file, the real tracks get converted back to a MIDI file. When right-clicking on one of the real track instruments at the top, it gives me the abililty to save the real track to a .wav file but when doing so, it creates a seperate file for that real track instrument. In short, how can I create a .mp3 file where all instruments are present, including the real tracks instruments? Thanks for any help.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 4:15 am    

convert your BIAB file to .wav, then you can use an audio editing program to convert to mp3.

Mike Brinkmeyer

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 8:04 pm    

Thanks Rebel - I ended up converting the Real Track instruments to a seperate .WAV file and then converted, as you suggested, the remainder of the BIAB song file to a .Wav file also. I then inserted both .WAV file tracks into Real Band where I could mix the two and then convert to a .MP3 with much better results.
Thanks again,
Mike

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 8:35 am     Re: Converting BIAB Files with Real Tracks to .MP3?

Mike Brinkmeyer wrote:
This has probably been discussed before, put I couldn't find anything . . . When attempting to convert a 2009 BIAB file (.SGU) to an .MP3 file, the real tracks get converted back to a MIDI file. When right-clicking on one of the real track instruments at the top, it gives me the abililty to save the real track to a .wav file but when doing so, it creates a seperate file for that real track instrument. In short, how can I create a .mp3 file where all instruments are present, including the real tracks instruments? Thanks for any help.

Mike, I've never done this but you might want to take a look at this area as a quicker way:

Go to Menu AUDIO then BURN AUDIO CD then look for a button in the upper right area that says BATCH and click on it.

This will open up a window that lets you create a Batch of song files. However, I think you can creat a Batch of ONE. If so there is an option to set the "audio File type" and one of those options is MP3!

You do need to have some type of MP3 codec (converter file) installed as BIAB does not provide one but most PCs now come with at least a generic converter.

If you do try this I'd love to know if it works.

Gary

Mike Brinkmeyer

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 12:49 pm    

Thanks Gary - I'll be able to use that "batch" song creation tip in the future! My initial problem, though, was not creating an .MP3. My problem was...when I did create one, the "real track" instruments resorted back to MIDI sounding instruments. I have since discovered that by creating a seperate .wav file for each "real track" instrument and bringing those files into RealBand as seperate tracks, they maintained their "real instrument" sound instead of the MIDI sound when then creating an .MP3. BTW, I have version 2009 so I really don't know how much of this applies to previous versions. Again, thanks for your input!

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 3:03 pm    

Mike, that's good info to know. Sounds like you have it under control. My thought was that when you render a MIDI or MIDI + Real Track that the rendering plus batching would "pull in" the real tracks to create one MP3 file as is does the .wav.

I still plan to try this just to know - but glad you have a method that works.

Blessings, Gary