The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Young Steeler Brandon Charles
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2009 11:06 am    

I just got word that Brandon Charles passed away last night in his sleep. SOme of you in the Kansas City area might have known Brandon. He was a good kid who loved steel guitar and playing music. I spoke with him a couple of months ago and he was doing great and pickin quite a bit. No details yet on funeral arrangements. It just makes me sad and numb to hear of this.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2009 11:26 am    

I did not know this young man, however it is always sad when a fellow steeler passes. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep his family always. Jody.

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2009 2:20 pm    

Our condolences to the family and friends in this young man's passing , may God give them peace, comfort and hope through Christ.

Skip

Brad Rigby

Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2009 6:13 pm     Brandon Charles

Brandon was excellent young man who came from a good family. All of his family, from around Sweet Springs, MO were very talented. I had the opportunity to show Brandon a few things on steel when he first got started, and he grew into a fine player. He was a man of his "Word" and will be missed by those that knew him.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2009 7:22 pm    

MY condolences to his family and friends. This is a shock anytime someone that young passes how sad to hear this, Crying or Very sad

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2009 9:26 pm    

Brandon !! Oh, no !!
What a swell guy he was -
He came over regularly
several years ago to study
with me and was making great
headway turning into a fine
steelplayer and musician.
But moreso than that, he had
high standards and good morals
and was fun to visit with
and carry on with.
He couldn't a been but
around thirty years old.

I sure dread when I go to the
forum index and the 'new post'
light is lit on the 'Gone Home'
department. It's one thing when
it's someone who has lived a
long life of many, many years
but when it's someone this young,
there's just no understanding to it.
Among the many things we talked of,
spirituality and belief was one topic,
and I'm confident that Brandon is
now with his Maker.
God keep Brandon and comfort
his family and friends.
~Russ

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2009 8:29 am    

Russ Thank you so much for mentioning that Brandon was a spiritual person. That is something that always concerns me. I does my heart good to know Brandon knew our lord and savior

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2009 8:42 am    

I just spoke with Brandons mom, Lena.
She disclosed that Brandon had been
living with AVMs and a couple of
aneurysms in his brain and blood
vessels that were discovered
ten or twelve years ago.

Funeral plans are as such:
Visitation is Sunday 2-4PM
Service is Monday 10AM

Campbell-Lewis Funeral Home
204 Ruby Street
Sweet Springs
Missouri

~Russ

Tony Smith

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2009 5:47 pm    

Brandon was the nicest young man I ever met. Once in a while I have done the right thing, and I'm proud to say I said that very thing to him. I have worked several jobs with Brandon, and every time I looked over at him he always gave me that big smile of his. Another very special thing about Brandon is he witnessed to his savior by the life he lived. Brandon was the real deal and I will always miss that big smile. God Bless you, Brandon.

Kenny Burford

Independence, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2009 11:09 am    

Scott, I appreciate you posting Brandon's passing here on the Steel Guitar Forum, I wanted to see it done, but could not bring myself to do it.

Everyone who has post a comment here on the SGF regarding Brandon is absolutely correct, he was a premiere individual, who like Russ pointed out was always a gentlemen someone you were proud to be associated with and to work with on stage. He told me on more than one occasion that his life would probably not be a long one, but I never gave it a tremendous amount of thought, I just told him none of us know how long we have here on this Earth and did my best to gloss over it. I don’t feel particularly good about that right now, but putting that aside let me just say I am proud to have known him and to have counted him as a friend. I can thank Mike Nelson for that, as Mike is the one who introduced me to Brandon and gave me the opportunity to work on stage with him for nearly a year. During that time we both gain respect for each other as people and musicians. As for me I am a great believer in the healing that prayer can provide at a time like this and I would ask that you pray for Brandon’s, Mom, Dad and brother as well as his many friends who are attempting to deal with his passing.

Neil Harms

Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2009 5:59 pm    

I couldn't have been more shocked to hear the news about Brandon. Got the news as we were getting ready to play our gig on Saturday night. Brandon sat in with us several times over the years. He was one of the most fun people to hang out with. I didn't get to see him nearly as often as I would have liked because it always seemed like we were playing on the same weekends. I really enjoyed his playing and his company. Sad news. My prayers go to his family.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 3:27 am    

What sad news to hear such a young steel player has passed away. I read where he passed away in his sleep, which is what I have heard many people say is the way they want to go. I know his family is hurting as well as all of his friends. May the Good Lord comfort them during this most difficult time.

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 2:03 pm    

The Visitation yesterday and Service
and Burial today was well attended by
Brandons family and many, many friends.
The preacher delivered a very sincere
uplifting and consoling eulogy.
Brandon lived by the Word, and
'lived and breathed' steel guitar.
There was his steel set up at the
foot of his casket, his steel guitar
cap nearby, and Brandon wearing a
steel guitar shirt and had his picks on.
Brandons memory will live on, within
those that knew him, as a
fine example of how to be
'One of the Good Guys'.
~Russ

Chuck Cusimano

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2009 4:53 pm    

I got word from Mike Nelson Thursday night about Brandons' passing, and I couldn't believe it. As mentioned here by all who knew him, he was always a perfect gentleman, and always smiling. I first met him when I came to Mo. to do a performance at "Bradleys", ( Hi Brad Rigby, and Tony Smith!) and I worked a dance job also with Mike Nelsons band. Brandon, ("Brutus" as he was called by his friends) proved to be someone you just wanted to get behind, Beside, and help him learn. He had such desire to be a good player. I understand that he did become a fine player. Over the course of a few years I came to Mo. to play several times, and Brandon always loan me his "Spare" amp, a Peavey Session 500. I offered to buy it if ever he decided to sell it, and one weekend he and Mike Nelson came to Colorado to play a weekend gig with me, and Brandon gave me the amp. He wouldn't take any money for it. He needed to borrow a volume pedal, and I had two Goodrich Vol. pedals, so I forced him to take one and keep it. He and Kenny Burford came to see me a couple of years ago at my regular Sunday gig in Fort Worth at the Stagecoach Ballroom while here for the Dallas Steel Show. I feel very lucky to have known him. He really made an Impact on me.
I pray his family will find peace and comfort knowing that he had so many good friends. I'm so glad to know he is in a better place. He is surely in the hands of our Father. R.I.P. "Brutus"

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 2:31 pm    

I didn't know this young man, but sure hate to hear about his passing. Like someone else said, it's bad to hear about anyone dieing, but it just seems so hard to hear about someone so young. Our thoughts and prayers are with his Family.

Donna