The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Real Tracks And DXI Question
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 1:14 pm    

I'm gonna upgrade my BIAB 04' to the latest version soon and I'm tryin to learn all I can before I get it. How does BIAB work if you have a DXI installed? Does it bypass the DXI automatically when using real tracks or real drums? Confused

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 1:36 pm    

Hi Andy.

I'd go to the PG forums at pgmusic.com and ask Mac or some of the other veterns there. Real Tracks and Real Drums being audio, usually wma files, probably bypass the DXi such as the vsc dxi, but can use DXi plugins for effects etc.

Good question.

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

Charlie Tryon

Glovertown Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 1:54 pm    

Andy the DXI is for only midi instruments.
Charlie

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 1:54 pm     Re: Real Tracks And DXI Question

Andy Sandoval wrote:
I'm gonna upgrade my BIAB 04' to the latest version soon and I'm tryin to learn all I can before I get it. How does BIAB work if you have a DXI installed? Does it bypass the DXI automatically when using real tracks or real drums? Confused

Yes,

Real Tracks are an "option" as far as their use. Songs can be saved with standard midi tracks and/or Real Tracks. The Real Tracks are just special midi info that are directed to a special wave file that is seperated into several "sections" or riffs of a particular style.

In the Style Maker utility you can determine which "riffs" are played by Real Tracks in what % of the song. There is a lot more to it, but most just pick a style that is bulit in and don't make their own.

Under the Options Menu - sub menu MIDI/Audio drivers you can choose to have your VST/Dxi play the true midi parts and the Real Track play their part.

The important thing to remember is that you can determine what tracks are midi and which are Real Tracks.

You can right click on any of the "instruments" and get a menu that wil ask if you want to "add a Real Track", "Deleate a Real Track" "Generate a Real Track". For now just know that any old or new song can have no RTs, Some RTs or all Rts.

There is a great difference between the '04 and '09 version. Well worth the $$$ if you use it a lot.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 8:49 pm    

I didn't stop to realize that real tracks and real drums are audio and not midi so it makes more sense to me now. I'm really lookin forward to upgrading to BIAB 09' and will probably go with the UltraPak which includes all the real drums and real tracks sets. At $29 per set if purchased separately, it will save me some major bucks in the long run to go with the UltraPak.

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2009 3:25 am    

Andy Sandoval wrote:
I didn't stop to realize that real tracks and real drums are audio and not midi so it makes more sense to me now. I'm really lookin forward to upgrading to BIAB 09' and will probably go with the UltraPak which includes all the real drums and real tracks sets. At $29 per set if purchased separately, it will save me some major bucks in the long run to go with the UltraPak.

Actually, Real Tracks ARE MIDI tracks but just as you choose a MIDI device or VSTi or DXi to play those MIDI tracks you choose to use your Audio Card to play an Aduio File (either compressed or .wav) to render that MIDI track (instrument).

This is why you can delete the Real Track for any instrument and the MIDI file will play whatever devise (DXi?) you assign to it; or you can take a MIDI DXi instrument track and turn it into a "Real Track" (Audio Track) by rendering it to audio.

The Real Track has built in ability to "transpose" the original recording's notes to the "key" that you are playing the song in. So, while the style stays the same the notes played will follow the MIDI note pattern. This is the cutting edge of how most MIDI equipment will work in the future. If one had the right hardware/software you could record yourself some "licks" into a "Real Track file" and create one or more "Styles" and play along with yourself (keep it clean!).

While Peter calls it "Real Tracks" in actuality it is a special type of wave file that is devided into sections or "takes". Then you develop software that will call up different "takes" based on some criteria (in BIAB we call that a "Style").

If you open up a Real Track in an Aduio File Editor you can see the different sections, play them and even add your own "licks".

BIAB has always been ahead of the curve and has the best support of any software out there!

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2009 4:36 am    

Just to be clear, Real Tracks are NOT midi files but are actually real audio recordings of real instruments. That is why they are .wav and .wma files, which are both audio files, not midi and henceforth can be opened in an audio editing program.

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2009 4:47 am    

Quote:
Actually, Real Tracks ARE MIDI tracks . . .

Below is quoted from - - > here
Quote:
RealTracks are not MIDI patterns or samples of
single instrument hits, but actual audio instruments
recorded by studio musicians that replace the MIDI
track and play along in sync to the chord progressions you enter.

Gary Baker

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2009 8:04 am    

Russ Wever wrote:
Quote:
Actually, Real Tracks ARE MIDI tracks . . .

Below is quoted from - - > here
Quote:
RealTracks are not MIDI patterns or samples of
single instrument hits, but actual audio instruments
recorded by studio musicians that replace the MIDI
track and play along in sync to the chord progressions you enter.

Yes, Real Tracks ARE Audio Files. My point was/is that the underlying STYLE is MIDI based. You need to match the RT STYLE to the song's style or it is not going to sound very good!

The STYLE determins how the program "plays" the MIDI tracks (if any) and which licks the RT track plays on any RT generated track. Now, a Real Track is one Audio File that is broken into sections ala 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 . . . . Each section is a recorded (live) lick based on a particular style of playing and a time signature.

The underlying STYLE (which is created by recording MIDI patterns) determins which of the Real Track section's (licks)recorded Audio files gets played - when - and how often.

My point is . . . the underlying MIDI Style determins how the Audio track (RT instrument) will sound within the context of the song. You are correct in saying that there is no standard MIDI track determining the notes as the live recorded audio determins the notes and lick as it was recorded. The MIDI Style file determines which section of that single wav (wma) file is played and when. This is why you can "re-generate" a RT track and get a different set of "licks".

That's how I have understood it - I could be wrong but looking "behind the curtain" that is what I am seeing.