The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Pigeon Forge Tn
Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 1:11 pm    

Well, Steel Guitar is still alive in Pigeon Forge, thought for awhile they had tossed it out the window. Country tonight has Larry Stewart on steel and he has been around the area for quite awhile, and is doing a wonderful job in the show.The biggest suprise was Classic Country show with Darrel and the boys, outstanding band with some nice two part work. Excellent Vocalist's. The audio mix was the best I had heard in the shows up there. The other shows should hire this young man as an consultant, he knows his stuff. Wish I had him with me when I was producing TV shows he is good. If you are in the area, this is the best 2 1/2 hrs around.
Vern

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 3:33 pm    

Vernon, thanks for this information. I only live 60 miles from Pigeon Forge and have been doing some serious thinking about the Classic Country show and wondering if they had a steel and if the show was any good. You have answered my questions, except who was the steel player? Darrel? or was he the producer. I am confused.

John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 5:57 pm    

I was in Pigeon Forge last weekend for the "Music City Gospel Showcase", a 3-day extravaganza. Unfortunately, I was not able to see Country Tonight or any of the other shows in Pigeon Forge.

At the Gospel Showcase, I was disappointed that I was the only steel guitarist among 60 (yes, sixty) gospel music acts that were on the program(s). I was even more disappointed to learn that only 5 groups did NOT use tracks in their program.

There was plenty of steel guitar to be heard - on probably 80% or 90% of the tracks that were used. Too bad there were no other "live" steel players, and precious few "live" musicians period.

I expected that there would be many groups using tracks, but I didn't expect 55 out of 60 acts would be using tracks.

John L.

Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 10:52 pm    

George,
Darrell Thatcher is the Steel guitarist, Jim Ball,Lead Guitar,Randy Rhea drums,Johnny Lauffer piano,Burton Akers bass.
Good group.
Vern

[This message was edited by Vernon Hester on 12 June 2004 at 03:24 AM.]

David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 9:56 am    

Does anyone know where Larry Stewert is from? There used to be a steel player from around Mansfield, Ohio with that name.

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 10:05 am    

I too was wondering if that was the same Larry Stewart that I knew from Ohio. This guy would be around 47 or so. He worked with Jimmy C Newman in the late 70s.
Thanks

[This message was edited by Billy Johnson on 11 June 2004 at 11:14 AM.]

Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 2:44 pm    

Larry is from Ga, he has been in Pigeon Forge quite a while I have seen him in different Dollywood shows thru the years.Also at The Knoxville Steel show in 94.
Vern

Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 2:05 am    

oops! got a nice note from Darrel Thatcher
"Rick Baker is our sound engineer, our lead guitarist is Jim Ball, and our producer is Frank Auman".
Vern

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 3:09 pm    

I was lucky to be in Pigeon Forge last week
(we just got home) and got to hear Larry Stewart and visit with him after the show. he is truly one nice man. Naturally he doesn't get to play enough in the show, but what he did play was excellent. his tone out front was great also. Emmons guitar and Evans amp really did the job. Go see and visit Larry if you are in the area. I'm glad I went. BTW the entire show is really good also. Very much worth the price of the ticket.

------------------
Keep pickin', Larry

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 4:04 pm    

well I know larry stewart very well as
I worked several shows and did sub work
in the pigeon forge and the area
larry is a fine steel player and a
great person if any of you go and see him
tell him mike archer sends his best
ask him about me and music mansion and