The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bob Bogle The VENTURES! RIP
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 1:02 pm    

I bet a lot of use listened to them when we were kids. I still do enjoy hearing them and remember the many Ventures records.

Bogle and Wilson started the group and traveled as a duo for a while just picking up bass and drums and then added a permanent guitar player (Nokie Edwards) and later they added a permanent drummer.

Bob Bogle 75.

John Subik

Sun City, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 1:17 pm    

Before there was tablature, instruction DVD's and Youtube videos there were Ventures albums. Between Bob Bogle and George Tomsco of the Fireballs, they both got me started on playing guitar back in the early 60's.

RIP Bob Bogle.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 2:23 pm    

Forgot to mention that Bob is playing lead on the infamous "Walk Don't Run".

Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 5:24 pm    

Boy howdy, more sad news. When Nokie first joined the Ventures thay had him playing bass. A very short time later he traded spots with Bob and then they recut Walk Don't Run with Nokie playing lead. I know Nokie alot more than the rest but have met them all on various occasions. Mr. Bogle was a very nice gentleman. My prayers to his family. RIP

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2009 7:22 pm    

from the Ventures offocal websight

Jun, 14 2009
It is with profound sadness and grief that we must inform Ventures' fans all over the world that Bob Bogle passed away on Sunday, June 14. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob's family at this terrible time, especially his beloved wife, Yumi, who has been the light of his life for so many years. The Ventures' members are completely devasted, and share the pain of this loss with all our friends and fans. As more information becomes available, it will be posted here, and we hope to set up a section on this site for messages from those who wish to post them.

The music world has lost a true original and an innovator - may all our wonderful memories console us.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2009 8:48 am    

Bob Bogle's tastefulness and the tone of his Jazzmaster were like a divine revelation to me at 16. I learned every one of the songs on the first four Ventures albums, when Bob was on lead. He's probably the most important reason for my life of crime.... er, music. When my Mom bought me my first pro grade guitar, it was hard to choose between Chet's Gretsch and Bob's Jazzmaster.

And what humility, to surrender the lead guitar role in the very successful band you started. Bob Bogle was pure class, all the way. RIP and thnx for the music, Bob.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2009 5:30 am    

Truly a wonderful gentleman for sure. Bob came out the the Vancouver, Wa Elk's lodge some years back where I was playing guitar in a duo with an electric drummer! Friends introduced him and we sat and talked for the break. He came up and played most of the next set with me! What an honor and what a musician!!!

I had a lot of fun that night and also found out that an old friend on mine, Ira Allen was in fact the lead singer for the Ventures when they made their first hit. With an instrumental hit they had to travel. Ira was in the military so that soon ended his work with them. He went on to have a great career in music and also penned the tune "Hanging on" for Vern Gosdin!

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2009 7:40 am    

Quote:
Bob Bogle's tastefulness and the tone of his Jazzmaster were like a divine revelation to me at 16. I learned every one of the songs on the first four Ventures albums, when Bob was on lead.

I can make that exact same statement. And although I did spend some quality time with Don Wilson in the 80s and 90s and have hung out quite a bit with Nokie in the last few years,I never had the chance to know Bob very well and I'll always regret that.