The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dan Seals R.I.P.
Randy Patton

Horton, Alabama
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 8:09 am    

We will miss you Dan.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Dan Seals, who was England Dan in the pop duo England Dan and John Ford Coley and later had a successful country career, has died of complications from cancer. He was 61.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 8:27 am    

What a shame...I have a Best of Dan Seals CD with some great tunes on it like God Must Be a Cowboy, Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold, and My Old Yellow Car. RIP

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 9:38 am    

Jeff Garden wrote:
What a shame...I have a Best of Dan Seals CD with some great tunes on it like God Must Be a Cowboy, Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold, and My Old Yellow Car. RIP

Everything that Glitters is one of my favorites,
by Dan. HE will be missed for sure.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 9:57 am    

I'm deeply saddened to hear this! He was also one of my favorites. "Everything that Glitters" was one of the better story songs out......JH in Va.

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 10:13 am    

One of the nicest guys I've ever been blessed to have worked with. An absolute jewel. You will be missed greatly, old friend...

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 10:31 am    

I met him in the early 70's when his band "England Dan and John Ford Coley" was touring with his brother's band "Seals and Crofts".

So sad, because was such a really nice guy. And a southpaw picker too. Smile

He told me he used to paint houses in Texas before he decided to become a musician. May he rest in peace.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 12:19 pm    

One of the few who came over to country and sounded
completely believable and natural from the gitgo.
Some great enduring songs that became bigger over the the years (Everything That Glitters). Songs you
don't get tired of. Didn't know him, but I admired him. Sad we had to lose another good one way too soon.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 2:06 pm    

He didn't "come over to country". He came over to pop from country and then went back to country.

Dale Bessant

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 6:03 pm    

What a shame, I really liked his music he was very talented....he played guitar south pawed up side down if I recall...and had a great voice... we all must go someday but its a sad to go so early.... and to this disease ....R.I.P. Dan

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 6:38 pm    

A heck of a nioe guy we've. I once interviewed him years ago while working at WDBL Radio in Springfield, TN. That was during the era when "God Must Have Been a Cowboy at Heart" was out. Dan's in a much better place now, R.I.P. my friend.

Nick

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 6:51 pm    

R.I.P. DAN:::I dearly loved his sound and all of the songs mentioned here my sincere condolences to his family.May he rest in peace, He is no longer in pain.

Rick Troyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2009 4:26 am    

Indeed what a loss ! Dan seemed to be a genuine and caring person as well as a great talent .
I met Dan through his steel player Mark Hawthorn . Mark lives here in Ohio and we have been friends since childhood . Mark toured with Dan for around 3 years . You can hear him on "Three Time Loser" . I'm sure there are other cuts he's on but this one sticks out in my memory .
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends . R.I.P. RT

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2009 2:08 pm    

Just wondering if anyone knew where the name "England Dan" came from since Dan was a country boy from Texas....

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2009 3:20 pm    

I read that "England" was a nickname he got from his older brother, Jimmy (Seals & Crofts). Dan was a nice guy. I remember playing bass on publishing demos for him years ago here in L.A.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 2:50 pm     Years Ago

Dan was always one of my very favorite singers. While crossing the US in my youth, moving back to the South from NM, I was driving through a VERY small town in the desert. Much to my surprise I passed a church and on the Marquee was a sign saying DAN SEALS 7:00pm tonight....It was 6:50pm. I parked my car and went into this little church and listened to Dan for about an hour. It was just him, and his acoustic guitar. Afterwards I spent just a few minutes talking to the man that I so looked up to and considered a REAL artist in his field. I would have been honored to have been able to work with him, but alas, that never came to be. I for one will miss you Dan. My condolences to all that knew him, and to his family...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 7:14 pm     Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold

Sad

I , too , always loved hearing Dan's voice; especially on " Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold". A young Lad in my first band was an ardent fan of Dan's and always sang all of his songs. Really enjoyed doing those numbers so much.. Many blessings to Dan's family and his many fans from around the world..Bernie Crying or Very sad

Pete Storms

Spokane, Washington
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2009 9:46 am    

My wife and I met Dan at an in the park concert in Moses Lake Washington quite a few years back. He also played saxaphone. We had a chance to meet him and talk breifly, got his autograph. Dan was a very nice guy. God bless him and his family.

Pete

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2009 7:44 pm    

Is this the same Dan Seals that did "Bop" back in the 80's? Man, I remember the band getting a lot of requests for that tune. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Robbie Bossert

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2009 5:02 pm    

One and the same, Rob. Lottsa folks liked and requested "Bop".

At a recording session last year, Dash Crofts told me that Dan had cancer of the esophagus. It often comes from having - and sometimes from not properly treating - Barrett's Esophagus, and once it turns into the Big C, you've got 1-2 years.

I have the same thing, so I take my meds like the doc tells me to, in hopes that my condition will remain benign. Guys, get yourself checked.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2009 7:35 pm    

Hey Emmett,
Thanks for confirming that for me. Sorry to hear of your condition. However, thanks for the heads up on what to look out for. Take vare and get well soon.

Robbie Bossert