The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NV 400 problem..
Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 5:21 am    

Anybody had this problem,when you turn the amp. on it is bassy and after about 2 minutes or so it gets fine,just wondering if it was a problem with anybody else..thanks for any input..
Charlie.......

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 9:32 am    

No, after twenty years of using NV400's I've never experienced that particular problem, although I certainly believe an amp's performance improves as it warms up. To my ears that improvement or change is noticeable but not drastically so.

NV400's are great amps. 99% of the difficulties I've had with them can be traced to two situations: 1) The Molex connectors are loose or dirty or 2) A jack or jacks are either dirty or not making full connection.

As for the pronounced tone change you're having, I'm sorry, I've never run across that.

Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2009 12:22 pm     Nv 400

Eric is 100% correct. Clean the Molex connectors and the jacks at the same time and there is a good chance the problem will go away. While you are in there clean the pots also.

If that don't fix it. Then you will have to speak to an amp tech such as Ken Fox. I have fixed a couple of heat related problems with transistors that caused tone problems, but try cleaning the connectors first.

Marvin

Andy Hinton

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 4:05 am     nv400 tone change

Charlie; I had a similar problem with my older Evans which I bought from Our buddy W.D. Roberts. Talked to Darell Stevens about it & he said the same thing as above. Mine had been in W. D.s shop for several years before I got it. He has a pea patch growing on his Emmons Le Grande lll. Smile Smile Anyway Cleaned everything up. Fixed the problem. Andy H.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 7:03 am    

As a former amp tech, It could be anything - from the mentioned molex connectors to the power supply, an IC or a pot, or to the power amp tranisistors, or even the speaker. Given the age of many NV400's, it wouldn't surprise me that it's a power supply (filter cap) problem.

Best thing I can tell you is either take it over to Peavey or ship it to Peavey for repair.