The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pat Gerow Dies Alone
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 3:37 am    

I received a phone call from the Vancouver Sun Newspaper a few days ago....(similar to someone living in Spokane receivng a call from Seattle). The reporter wanted a "story" about the late PAT GEROW, one of Canada's outstanding w/s steel guitarists. I had no idea he had died ! Many years have drifted by since I last saw Pat. I e-mailed Lorene Ruymar in Vancouver for any information...she wrote (in part):

"Pat was found dead. Didn't answer phone calls, didn't answer knocks on door. After awhile someone asked the caretaker to use his key and that's when Pat was found. How many days later? We never
heard. Then, the question was: does he have any family members??? His wife (and singer) Clover Lane had died over ten years ago and they had no kids. Anyway, Pat's sister, over 90 years old, was found in Kelowna and not strong. But she did come here to handle his affairs".

I'm sure many across Canada will remember Pat Gerow when he played steel with "The Rhythm Pals", a group about as famous as the "Sons of the Pioneers" in the US. He had an amazing career on Network radio, recordings, gigs, etc., and sadly died alone poor and in a hovel of an apartment. Crying or Very sad

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 7:37 pm     Pat Gerow dies alone

Hi George:
I just found out about this a few hours ago. I walked into my Legion and one of my friends showed me a full page tribute to Pat in the Vancouver Province newspaper. I met Pat several times, and played with the Rythm Pals, and Evan Kemp. He was always one of the topics of conversation when I was with the above mentioned people. A sad day, he will be missed.
John

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 10:06 am    

I spoke to Pat just prior to his induction into the B.C. Country Music Hall of Fame on Oct. 16/'06. He was very pleased that I had remembered his performance at a concert in Vancouver a few years before, put on by Lorene Ruymar. It was Lorene who informed me of Pat's passing; see the obituary that I suspect she wrote herself in the Vancouver Sun, dated Feb. 21/'09. I'm sorry that my photo of him at his induction in 2006 wasn't more clear; he certainly had a great wit about him then! As others before have said, he will be sorely missed! Jim H.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2009 8:38 pm    

As mentioned earlier, I met Pat many years ago while he toured western Canada. I later met him at a steel guitar bash held in Maple Ridge, B.C. His steel playing was mighty impressive ! Pat belonged to the WESTERN SWING MUSIC SOCIETY (Vancouver) which publishes a quarterly newsletter edited by John York. During the past couple of years, Pat has been writing his autobiography for the newsletter which has been extremely interesting...man, he did it all !

Those who might be interested in joining the WSMS (a non-profit club formed to preserve and promote western swing music), can write to John York, 3565 Cambridge St., Vancouver, BC, Canada...VSK-1M3. The newsletters are well worth the $10.00 annual membership fee !!! Cool

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 4:36 am    

George, I'm deeply saddened to hear about Pat Gerow's death and especially the manner in which he was found, alone and poor. May he rest in peace in God's loving arms.

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 9:57 am    

I knew Pat for over 50 years.
While I was playing in Hawaii in the 60's Pat would always drop in to the club during his annual visits. Monday was my night off so Pat would come out to the house and baby-sit our children so we could have a night out.
During our inductions at the B.C.C.M.A. and his health was sliding, he still had a smile for everyone.
Hopefully his vast collection of memorabilia is not lost as it is quite large.

Len Ryder

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 5:03 pm    

Pat is survived by a 90 year old sister in another city, (Kelowna). As Len suggested, we can only hope someone in the Vancouver area will salvage all his priceless memororabilia before they are tossed out as junk. Sad

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 1:46 pm    

delete

Last edited by Mike Black on 9 Apr 2011 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 4:54 pm    

Mike, you mentioned Johnny Allen and Jack Mooney...two great names very dear to me ! I have no idea where Johnny is today, (or if he is still amongst us). Johnny and I were boyhood pals as we were both learning the steel. He lost a portion of his r/index finger which never prevented him from achieving greater heights in Canadian western swing. (I turned whatever talent I had towards Hawaiian music). Jack Mooney was my mentor although I could never achieve his amazing status on regular steel. I personally feel that Jack Mooney was probably the top steel guitarist in Canada throughout the fifties through to the nineties. (Jack left us about 5 years ago.)