The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  grand ole opery ?
Jerry L Miller

Sublette, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 9:30 am    

Sad i listened to the opry when i was a kid on a battery radio cause we didnt have electricty yet [ 1950] ... it has really been gone for the last several years... maby it will move to Texas and they will take it back to REAL country music ...
jerry

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 10:37 am    

As bad as I hate to see it leave from here, I agree with you. If the Opry's music will get back to being real traditional country I'm all for it moving to Ft. Worth.

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 11:19 am     Opportunity Knocking

Anyone have the money to rent the Ryman and restart the mother church?

Ron Frederiksen

Van Buren, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 1:21 pm    

Anyone told them rockers they aint singing COUNTRY songs..No wonder they want to get back to the good stuff...My 2 cents worth....Ron

Randal Smith

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 2:36 pm    

Even if it moves to TX, I don't think it'll get back to real country music. Same owners.

I was listening to WSM today around lunchtime, and heard a song I swear sounded like Lynard Skynard. Don't know who it was, and I liked the song (of course, I'm an old rock and roller from way back). But if it was country I'll kiss your a**.
Warmoth Custom Guitar
Gibson GA-20 Amp
"We have enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 4:05 pm    

The thought of moving the Grand Ole Opry, and changing the format from classic country to whatever is a hard pill to swallow. What about WSM, the Ryman, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and all the other establishments such as the Ernest Tubb Record Shop, Tootsie's, etc., that made Nashville what it is today? If the new owners go through with this Nashville will never be the same. Just my 2 cents...

Donny

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 6:08 pm    

If you listen today, the music is not country.Just a bunch of screaming and noise.Maybe if they move to Texas or better than that, Shreveport.It would be a blessing. What this country needs is a little more steel guitar and put in the middle a little sawing fiddle straight out of them Texas bars. I saw on TV one night a singer and it sounded like he was dying. Hey Nashville WAKE UP! You are killing the industry that has made you famous with this trash you are putting out today. I apologize for my rant, it's my humble opinion. If you can't hear or understand the lyrics or the melody, then it's NOT MUSIC! Tommy Mad

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 7:09 pm     opry

Donny I'm With You. SONNY.

Andy Hinton

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 7:22 pm     Grande ole Opry

Hey Tommy; sorry you didn't make Dallas this time. you missed some REAL great country music. But I have to agree with Randal about moving the Oppry. It's all about money period. As for Shreveport, why do you think it died in the first place. Answer; the majority owner didn't know country from jazz or acid rock, but he had control. he even rejected Boxcar Willie when he left the Air Force at Barksdale & was starting his musical career. 'nough said about that. Confused

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 9:37 pm    

Hey Andy, I love the real country, that was the music I listened to in the car with my mom and dad, when I was younger. Hank and Lefty,I tell you one thing though, It's sad day for Nashville to do this. Especially WSM. The orignal meaning of the call letters We Shield Millions,They ought to change the meaning to We Screw Millions. I'm sorry,I couldn't make it to Dallas,I am going to try to make to the Medicare jam. Next month,I got hooked up with a steel buddy Friday to work on my rig and put some fresh strings on my Emmons. For Chrismas,My mother-in-law got me a set of GHS Boomers,and to tell you the truth, I am pretty happy with them.They're nickle strings and the tone on that sounds oh so sweet. Them Texas boys know how to play music. Hope to see you soon, Tommy

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 10:32 pm    

There can never be another Woodstock, there can never be another Grand Ole Opry.

Ray Campbell

St. Robert, MO
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 3:36 am    

Real country music died in the 1980. But the deaath was preceded by a long illness caused by radio stations, pushed by the CMA, that started playing old rockers such as John Denver and Olivia Newton John. It has gone downhill ever since and each new month continues the decline. But moving the Opry to Wherever would not make any difference because of who owns and controls it. The only way is for someone with deep pockets and a true love for the traditional music to start another in competition. It would matter not where. It would matter only in content. I hope Stonewall Jackson wins his lawsuit over age discrimination against the present owners/managers of the Opry. I would hope that some of the other oldtimers would join him. There, I've ranted enough.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 4:58 am    

Stonewall has already won. He settled with Gaylord for an undisclosed amount, and has returned to the Opry.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 3:45 pm    

Turn on CMT,and GAC, You don't hear real country. I'm of the opinon, that people picket their lodal radio staions and rise up in a revolution against this new and young country msuic that is being played now. Even at the local legend station where, I live, they don't go back to play the true legends. I am truly dissappointed in what Nashville has become. Tommy

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 6:17 pm     Real Country

Don't count The Real Country Music down and out yet. You can Catch Mike Siler at Legends and the Time Jumpers are still bring it back home. Just because the Opry has lost it's focus doesn't mean the rest have.I'll catch a show somewhere when I hit town.

Just got back from the TSGA Show and have to say that for the most part every seat in the hall was full for the afternoon sets.

Dallas/Fort Worth might be a good place to bring The Opry back to it's root's but the big money will always follow and screw thing up .Just my most humble opinion.

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 8:27 pm    

Who cares? Let it die, I say, let it die! With the Grand Ole Opry gone there will be one less thing to complain about.

The entertainment industry has changed, folks. A new generation has taken over and they've got new ideas. If you don't like it, ignore it.

I felt the same way about the state of rock music, but I've given up on complaining and I don't even bother to follow the music scene any more. If I want to hear classic rock stuff there are lots of recordings out there. Same thing with classic country. As long as the recordings exist, the music will always be with us.

Randy Mason

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 9:06 pm    

WHO CARES? I do. It's been my job for 25 yrs. And I've never heard this rumor of moving to TX. Whoever started it better be sure before starting it.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 9:22 pm    

Hello Daniel J.Cormier,Just think " Dolly Parton " got her career started out of your home town of Lake Charles,louisiana on GoldBand Records. Rolling Eyes Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 12:36 am    

Leslie Ehrlich wrote:
Who cares? Let it die, I say, let it die! With the Grand Ole Opry gone there will be one less thing to complain about.

The entertainment industry has changed, folks. A new generation has taken over and they've got new ideas. If you don't like it, ignore it.

I felt the same way about the state of rock music, but I've given up on complaining and I don't even bother to follow the music scene any more. If I want to hear classic rock stuff there are lots of recordings out there. Same thing with classic country. As long as the recordings exist, the music will always be with us.

I care and I know that there are many that do care, The Opry and WSM are a tradition In country music that has spanned over 80 years. People at the end of their week on Friday or Saturday night, would gather around their radios to listen to WSM and the Grand Ole'Opry. Same as the National Barn Dance out of Chicago, and the Hayride out of Shreveport. I grew up listening to it.That's the problem in a nutshell.
People don't care. The people that performed at those venues, made history. Another reason why people care is that no one takes time to teach people the whats and how to do anymore nor the time to things right. Entertainment is changing, but at the same time what's wrong with having some history belonging to the past.Tommy

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 2:23 am    

I heard from a reliable source that the Opry has not been sold, just a big shake-up at the Gaylord Coporation! And the second show on Saturday night has been cut.

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 8:26 am    

Tommy Shown wrote:
People at the end of their week on Friday or Saturday night, would gather around their radios to listen to WSM and the Grand Ole'Opry. Same as the National Barn Dance out of Chicago, and the Hayride out of Shreveport. I grew up listening to it.

So? Here in Canada I grew up watching Don Messer's Jubilee (old time fiddling) and the Tommy Hunter Show (classic country). Sure there was a great uproar among the viewing public over the CBC's decision to cancel both shows, but life goes on. I loved both shows, but I didn't cry a river because they're gone. The world is changing, and I learned to live with it. If I don't like 'new' music, I just avoid it.

The entertainment industry prefers to cater to a younger and more urban audience, and it's been that way at least since the 1950s (when advertisers discovered they could make a whole lot more money by targeting suburban middle class teens and young adults).

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 3:12 pm    

Aaron Tippin said "You've Got To Stand For Something Or You'll Fall For Anything". I concur. Imagine if they tried to bulldoze Lincoln Center or put Heavy Metal in the Opera House? I'm defending my culture.

Paul Kemper

Copperopolis, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2009 3:44 pm    

I agree, it needs to return to classic country. I used to listen to "Willie's Place" on XM radio but that recently changed format with as much or more talk than good old country classics. I don't think either will really change. Oh well, guess I can listen to my old records.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2009 5:59 am    

COUNTRY MUSIC DID NOT DIE.....BUT THEY BURIED IT ALIVE..(C)-cjc1990

Stan Knowles NC

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2009 3:06 pm    

I LIVED IN FORT WORTH FOR 20 YEARS...AND I STILL
HAVE A HOUSE IN GRANBURY, TEXAS.......AND I KNOW
THAT YOU CAN HEAR THAT "ROCK N ROLL WITH A COWBOY
HAT CRAP" EVEN IN TEXAS.....BUT......

THE TRUTH IS....TEXAS HAS IT'S OWN COUNTRY MUSIC....
AND IT'S "REAL COUNTRY MUSIC," AND FRANKLY...IN
TEXAS...THEY DON'T GIVE A CRAP IF THE WHOLE COUNTRY
FOLDS UP AS FAR AS MUSIC IS CONCERNED...THEY'RE
GOING TO KEEP ON PLAYING AND SINGING THEIR REAL
COUNTRY MUSIC THERE!

AND I THINK, IF THE OPRY "DID" MOVE TO FORT WORTH...
IT WOULD ONLY BE BECAUSE THE GAYLORD BUNCH "SOLD"
IT TO SOMEBODY ELSE...WHICH THEY "COULD DO IF THEY
WANTED TO!"

I WAS BACKSTAGE AT THE OPRY THE NIGHT OLD MAN
GAYLORD WENT OUT ONTO THE STAGE AND ANNOUNCED
THAT HE WOULD BUY THE OPRY AND THE WHOLE MESS,
LOCK, STOCK, AND BARREL...WHICH HE DID, AND
ALMOST IMMEDIATELY THEY DUMPED "THE NASHVILLE
NETWORK" ONTO CBS, WHO INSTANTLY "KILLED IT"....
AND NOT TOO LONG AFTER THAT....CLOSED DOWN
OPRYLAND! SO......MONEY IS THE ONLY THING
OLD MAN GAYLORD KNOWS OR CARES ABOUT!

I PERSONALLY "DON'T THINK IT WILL MOVE FROM
NASHVILLE!" AS I UNDERSTAND IT...IT'S JUST
"MORE" OF THE GAYLORD-SHUFFLING-AROUND-CRAP!